Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Where to mount a second spare tire?

We are going on a 7hr trip in March. I wanted to bring along a second spare for the TT. I was looking for a good place to mount it. Under the tongue was a thought, but not sure it will work there. Don't want to temp fate and put it on the rear bumper with the other tire. Any ideas?

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Under the tongue?

Would it be safe to put two spares on the rear bumper? Depends on how much they weigh and how sturdy the bumper is.

One of my buddies has a Heartland fifth wheel and they put the spare under the frame near the front cabinet. After the spare got knocked off for the third time we moved it to the rear bumper.

Unless your TT is pretty far off the ground things like driveways and speed bumps are sure to nail the spare. If there room and you have the money to do it one of the safest places is just in front of, or just behind the trailers axle(s). It will take some welding.

If you were to put some information about your trailer in your signature you will get much more specific answers on this forum.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

I will look at the rear bumper again, maybe I could brace it some how. I didn't realize my signature didn't show when I'm on my phone, how this helps now.

Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

Joe, just a thought here.... but, if you have good quality tires in place, do not over load them and stay on decent maintained loads I seriously doubt that you will even use your spare for many years. A 7 hour trip is probably not long enough to over-heat your tires even if overloaded. I would suggest that your 1 spare should get you back home or to a tire replacement store.

Just as importantly- no offense intended here-but do you have the tools(jack/wheel wrench and skills) to change the spare you do have?

I have drug trailers for many miles and on all sorts of gravel roads (maybe I was just lucky) and have experienced very few (can't even think of one right now) trailer tire flats.

just my opinion
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Brent,

No offense at all. I've been towing trailers for nearly twenty years.

I just like to be prepared. I blew a tire on my way to my first SCCA drivers school and had to buy another tire so I had a spare on the return trip. I now carry two spares on my race trailers. I also bring a little 12 ton bottle jack, cordless impact gun and spare wheel bearings. I might be a little OCD

I basically don't want to waste any vacation time with my girls tracking down a spare tire. I have a second spare but just want to find a good spot to mount it. TT's are new to me but towing and car trailers are not.

The tires are OEM. I plan to replace them with higher quality tires as soon as I can afford it. I check the pressure on them often. I just got a tongue scale so I will be able to at least get a little better idea how much I have on the hitch.

Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Sounds like you know your business, hope you find a secure mount for your tire. You may end up having to weld on a more substantial rear tube. My tool box as well ,carries a spare set of bearings.

Good luck
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know of any reason to not just get a second spare tire mount like the one that's already on the back bumper. If the strength of the rear "bumper" frame is questionable, take the trailer to any decent welding shop and they can add junk iron to strengthen it enough that adding a 75-pound spare tire would be no cause for concern.

I haven't added a spare tire to my RV, but I have had my local farmer's blacksmith/welding shop add a receiver hitch on the back of two different RV trailers.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Joe is right; if one tire on a side goes flat, and you drive for a while before realizing this, it's a good chance the remaining tire will be damaged. Sometimes, this is not apparent from the outside but ply separation can be seen inside the tire. I have two spares mounted on my open car trailer, and have covers on these in an attempt to ward off solar damage.

And, like Joe, I have the tools & skills to change a tire; including one from the motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Brent,

No offense at all. I've been towing trailers for nearly twenty years.

I just like to be prepared. I blew a tire on my way to my first SCCA drivers school and had to buy another tire so I had a spare on the return trip. I now carry two spares on my race trailers. I also bring a little 12 ton bottle jack, cordless impact gun and spare wheel bearings. I might be a little OCD

I basically don't want to waste any vacation time with my girls tracking down a spare tire. I have a second spare but just want to find a good spot to mount it. TT's are new to me but towing and car trailers are not.

The tires are OEM. I plan to replace them with higher quality tires as soon as I can afford it. I check the pressure on them often. I just got a tongue scale so I will be able to at least get a little better idea how much I have on the hitch.

Joe
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

George that is a good point. My big reason for two on long trips was also in the case of blowing one on the way out. You can just change the tire and keep going, you will still have a spare. I'd say about half my tire issues have been from road debris putting holes where they don't belong, the rest are just older tires going bad etc. I had to wait over two hours once for roadside assistance when I moved my sister many years ago, I carry enough basic tools to deal with easy fix items now.

I think welding on a new and improved rear bumper might do the trick. Now I just need to find the time....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Does anyone know how to find out what size rim and bolt pattern is on my trailer? The tire is a 225/75 R15. It has 6 lugs. Not sure how wide the rim is, or the bolt pattern. At work, so I can't check.

Trailer is a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 311bhs

Thanks

Joe
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Got back from my trip last Saturday. About 20 total hours towing and no tire issues. One trailer tire got about 4lbs low on the return trip, but not an issue. I thought it would also be nice to carry a small compressor to top off tires. Does anyone recommend a small portable compressor that can put 65 psi into trailer tires?