Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

Where to store generator

I currently have a Husky 3,650 watt generator (4,550 starting watts). It's pretty big and pretty loud. Costco has an AI 1600 watt inverter generator with a Yamaha motor for $499. My dad just got one, so if I got one also then I could wire them up together for roughly the same power as my existing unit.

A couple questions:

Does anyone have this unit? Is it going to be significantly quieter than a traditional generator?
Where do you store your generator(s) when you're traveling with a TT?

Thanks in advance for the help. I honestly don't think we'll end up dry camping very often, but that's the only situation where I can really see these being an advantage over my cheap old Husky that always runs good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

While I don't have the Costco Yamaha versions if they are even close to a Yamaha brand inverter they'll be significantly quieter than the open frame. I'm quite sure others in the campground appreciate quieter generators too.

As there's just the two of us I generally carry them on the floor in the back seat of the truck as they are more secure and can't tip over. The vented gas caps have shut offs so there are no gas fumes when closed. If we have anyone riding with us I put them in the bed of the truck but that doesn't happen very often.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I carry my gennies locked with a stout cable and lock in the truck bed. I've been all over the West and no problems.

Your neighbors will appreciate the quieter gennie(s). I know I do. Getting away from it all for me includes enjoying as much quiet as I can.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 AM   #4

Lol, where I camp in Pa. It gets loud at night with Kadydids singing and maybe a few tree frogs and oh, coyotes calling out.

There is no quiet, just peace.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The sounds of nature are preferred to the sounds of "civilization".
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Getting away from it all for me includes enjoying as much quiet as I can.
Me too which is why my electrical needs are small. No TV, no radio, no wifi, just a minimal drain on the batteries to keep the fridge cool.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Although I am firmly in the Honda Inverter camp, over the Yamaha. (for a number of reasons) You can't beat that price. I saw those Generators at Costco two weeks ago, told my neighbor, and he bought one.

They have a different layout than the regular Yamaha but we couldn't tell what the differences were internally.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. I measured the db on my Husky last night. I was standing 2-3 feet away, and it was at 105 db (108 peak, 105 average). I'm not even going to consider taking that with me. I guess I'll get a good cable or chain and lock them down in the bed of the truck. Any recommendations on a good chain/cable?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
Any recommendations on a good chain/cable?
https://www.westechrigging.com/pewag...038-kit-6.html

Why?

https://youtu.be/CE1NeAEBk6U

And before someone says "I can cut that chain with an angle grinder", I'll remind everyone you can cut any reasonably sized security chain with an angle grinder, so you're really not saying anything.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Any recommendations on a good chain/cable?
I don't think you need anything elaborate. Its just there to slow someone down. If they want it bad enough all they have to do is cut the plastic carry handle.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Locks only keep honest people honest
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is what people that aren't willing to spend money on better security products sometimes like to say. Locks keep honest people honest, better locks and chains keep the dim thieves thwarted, and the best locks and chains prevent most of the rest from even trying. No one is gonna try to steal my gennies by grinding away on the chain for a full minute without attracting the wrong kind of attention, and even the best thieves know this, and my neighbors know it too. The second best thing for security is to have good neighbors and know them pretty well. We watch out for each other, and we still use good locks.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I measured the db on my Husky last night. I was standing 2-3 feet away, and it was at 105 db (108 peak, 105 average). I'm not even going to consider taking that with me. I guess I'll get a good cable or chain and lock them down in the bed of the truck. Any recommendations on a good chain/cable?
Usually, the weakest part of a cable or chain is the lock itself. My brother lost a brand new Honda EU2000 at the Richmond Nascar race some years ago. They cut the lock, apparently with a bolt cutter. After that we only used the round locks as they are harder to get at with a bolt cutter. I also put the metal theft deterrents on the handle because someone can cut through the plastic handles real quick.

https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Deter...heft+deterrent
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #14

Are those metal guards for the handle available for the generator the OP wants to buy? Doesn't look like it on Amazon.

Tags
generator