Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Just from experience , RV salesmen are even bigger liars than politicians , so donít believe ANYTHING they say ... prove it to yourself Before you buy ...
You mean they'd stretch the truth? I've read enough on this forum to know that some salesmen would tell me my wife's old Tacoma can haul a fifth wheel I love the new line of "1/2 Ton" TT's hitting the market, some would be scary with a 1/2 ton, and aren't really much lighter than their tubby brothers.

GPW - Good to know that the weights on the trailer are also dubious at best. I'll be sure to scale it. I will also ask for the manual as that should be a good resource. Thanks for the tip on Norcold.

Smokey - I'm researching this weight issue a lot more now as you have me thinking. I'd hate to give up my Ex, but getting a truck is a simple solution if needed. I'm still not convinced that I'll be over my GVWR until I can weigh my truck loaded up with gear, random people and a barge full of fuel. I hope to get a weight on it by Friday and will report so we can run the numbers again. I found a base curb weight listing for my truck showing it at 7770#. There is a surprising amount of fiberglass on my truck so it's possible to be well under the 9200# totally empty. Proof in the pudding is on the scale.

Any opinions on extended warranties or brands of Camper Covers?

Is it possible to hand small storage cabinets in the bathrooms on the walls? How is this best done? How can you find out if there are any wires or pipes in the wall?

Are the new Aero front caps on the newer TT's really a big deal or just a lot of hype?

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16

Go with the keystone!! I bought two in one year!!! Well actually I upgraded the TT after upgrading my tow rig. I had a Jeep commander 5.7 Hemi and went to a Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab cummings turbo diesel. So the wife wanted the Keystone Cougar Model 31SQBWE - 2012. We love it, but the model we bought last April was great too, but the floor plan really didn't work for our family.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy whatever model/brand that you decide on!!!
Happy trails!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #17

MiW1971,

Thanks for the response. The Cougar is one of the models we liked but I feel we'll need the larger kitchen of the Sprinter based on how much we like to cookout. How do you like the Cougar so far? What are your favorite features? What are your least? Have you hand any service issues yet?

Joe
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
I found a base curb weight listing for my truck showing it at 7770#. There is a surprising amount of fiberglass on my truck so it's possible to be well under the 9200# totally empty. Proof in the pudding is on the scale.
www.thedieselstop.com is the original website for Ford diesels, including the Excursions. The biggest complaint from X-Car owners is the "road hugging weight" of the wet and loaded "truck". Most report 8,500 to 9,000 pounds with family, luggage, and without a trailer of any kind. Load the car up with family and a load of groceries, then throw a few sacks of horse feed in the tail and you're overloaded.

Quote:
Any opinions on extended warranties ...
I never buy them, but I've studied them a lot over the years. For a Ford, ignore all the aftermarket extended warranties except the Ford ESP (extended service plan). Ford has a variety of ESPs, from very basic inexpensive to full coverage for lots of years and miles (and money). And if you enjoy the peace of mind of the insurance, they are all worth what they cost if you buy them over the internet at a good discount price. NEVER pay sticker price for an ESP.

Quote:
...or brands of Camper Covers?
The two most popular are Leer and ARE. For my new F-150 I bought the Leer 100XQ. My Leer dealer doesn't stock them, because they are painted at the Leer factory with your exact paint color. So mine is Platinum White to match the primary color on my F-150. Notice the attached photo shows the Platinum White truck and topper is a slightly different color than my white cargo trailer. Maybe when I get rich I'll have the trailer painted to match the pickup.

Quote:
Are the new Aero front caps on the newer TT's really a big deal or just a lot of hype?
A V-nose or aero cap on the front of a big trailer definitely reduces aero drag, and thus improves fuel mileage. I'm an MBA, but I haven't "run the numbers" to determine if it's cost effective to pay extra for the nose then get a return on investment (ROI) by improved fuel mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120106_IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	17027  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
MiW1971,

Thanks for the response. The Cougar is one of the models we liked but I feel we'll need the larger kitchen of the Sprinter based on how much we like to cookout. How do you like the Cougar so far? What are your favorite features? What are your least? Have you hand any service issues yet?

Joe
We love the Cougar. This is only our second year with a TT, so we are still newbies. We really like the bunk house, because it offers the kids a place of there own when it's raining out. They have their own tv and game playing area. It has a door that separates the bunkhouse from the rest of the trailer, so kids can watch their movies and Adults can have grown up time. I do wish there was more storage on the outside of the trailer. When we upgraded we lost one storage compartment. The only service issue we had was a bad heating element, but that may have been due to newbie syndrome . But I took it to the shop and they replaced it under warranty.

I'm sure every model and brand will have features that you like and dislike, so I just suggest that you take your family (assuming you have kids) down to sit in the ones you are considering. But sit for an hour or two, just to see if it fits you. Thats what we did and it helped.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #20

Miw1971 - Thanks for the info. I'm sure we'll be making all kinds of Newbie mistakes, have to learn somehow.. HA! We have two girls and our oldest asked me if we still get to go to the RV shows after we buy one Needless to say, she loves running around looking at them and playing on the beds. She's 4.

Have you had any issues with the overall length of your rig & TT getting into campgrounds etc?

Smokey - 7,900# with a full tank and nothing else in the truck. Figure 2 big people, 2 little people and some gear, I'd be around 8400#. Now what say you? Still too much? Should I order my carbon fiber hood, fenders and doors to save a few pounds? It was lighter than I expected. I'm still looking for a CAT scale in my area.

Joe
Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #21

Smokey - The ESP I was asking about was on a TT not the truck. I agree that most are not worth the investment, unless you happen to own the Ford 6.0L diesel. In my case I shopped extensively and found one that covered more than the "lubricated" parts and settled on that one. It was backed by Zurich so that also helped. They even covered the HPOP, Injectors and the Turbo. I paid $2,500 for 3yr/36000 and my truck had 92,000miles when I bought it. So far I'm $1,000 to the good with a hand full of repairs we've had done so far: Steering box, Alternator X2, Injector #4&5, EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler, and one brake issue. I'm still sprinkling holy water on the heads hoping they won't spit the Head Gaskets. Did the FICM myself.

I was curious who makes good covers for Travel Trailers? We bought one for my buddies Roo and it was gone in 6 months.

I'd assume the aero cap is about a wash on the MPG savings vs. any additional cost. I'm being told that the cap is better because it helps deal with potential leak issues at the front seams by moving them away from stress points etc. That makes sense on paper, not sure what the reality is.

Can't wait till tomorrow. We'll be at the big show drooling on stuff we can't afford....40' MH's. Then I'll wake up and get back to the TT's

Joe
Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #22

Have you had any issues with the overall length of your rig & TT getting into campgrounds etc?

Joe[/QUOTE]
Haven't had a problem yet, but it does limt the number of sites sometimes. Also, in some states that I've looked into visiting, like California and Montana, I didn't see a lot of state campgrounds that take TT over 26'. I live in Washington state and mostly go to state parks, because I can stay for free (disabled Veteran benefit). I'm sure RV parks might accomodate longer TTs.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #23

We froze our Floridian Butts off today. Mid 50's is freezing for me. The show was great. Tons of great TT's to see. Saw the Sprinter 311BHS with the new Aero cap and it was very nice. Told that it's sale price for the show is $32K and that just seems high to us. In 2010 we could have bought one for $25.5K, have they really gone up that much in price or are they off their rockers? Found a Jayco Eagle 324BHDS for $32.5K. The new Outback Bunkhouse was really nice as well. We are going back for more tomorrow. Any thoughts on this pricing??

Joe
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #24
GPW

JB, whatever the price , consider also Storage of the unit ... They Do NOT do well living outside (despite what my salesman told me ) , and if you want it to last .. it must be sheltered during the time it’s not used ... Some may disagree, but we see even the BIG motorhomes kept in a shed or garage when not used ... Even one small leak can cause a catastrophic chain of events that can easily add another 50% to the overall price of the TT down the road ... Oddly enough , leaks don’t start until one day after the warranty expires, and then you’re on your own ... Getting the dealer to repair anything out of warranty is always a ridiculously expensive proposition ...
If you want to throw the salesman off , ask him how much the average yearly maintenance costs , The shop’s labor rate ? How much it costs to re caulk a roof , which really should be done frequently (depending upon frequent “inspections” ), much less so if you store it inside ... Just crumbs for thought ... You sound like a nice guy with a nice family ... I just don’t want you to get ripped off , like I did ...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #25

We found a storage place nearby and plan to buy the best cover we can get. Not sure if we can afford inside storage. I also went ahead and got a few quotes on the insurance. We didn't plan to spend $30K on the trailer so unless a miracle happens, we will just start looking used. We have time and aren't in a rush.

Good ideas on the questions to ask the salesman. Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We found a storage place nearby and plan to buy the best cover we can get.
The best RVcover you can get for a 30' TT will cost you around $1,700. If you have room, I'd rather have a garage tent that will cost $2000. Both are available at this link:

Boat covers, car covers, rv covers
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #27

Smokey, thanks for the link. I'll be shopping there for my cover. We decided on and bought the Sprinter 311BHS. Now I may be looking for a new truck. We are having them add the Slide Toppers and also the rear ladder so I can easily install the cover. Any opinion on best brands for slide toppers? Is there a choice?

No room for storage at my house. :(

Joe