Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Which one to buy

I have a decision to make and have no experience to help me make it. I need advice on whether to buy 24ft jayco or 24ft Starcraft. They are both basically the same trailor however the starcraft dealer is 50 miles heavy traffic from my home and the Jayco is 3 miles. Starcraft is 22000 walkout and Jayco is 23000 walkout. Starcraft dealer has offered backup camera, pro-series equalizer and brake controller if i pay half of the 1500 cost. Jayco dealer offered equalizer and brake controller but no camera. What should I do? My main concern is the quality of the trailers, which one is best in your opinions? Thanks from the rookie!!
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

I would buy from the dealer you were more comfortable with and thought had the best service dept. and personnel. Not Camping World, ha, ha.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You can't go wrong with Jayco product! We had a 2007 Jayco Toy Hauler had ZERO issues with it.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Careful asking for opinions on which RV is better on this forum. I purchased the TT comparison guide and researched for a while before buying the Jayco. The guide rated it higher than Starcraft in most categories over the last few years, especially in quality and customer satisfaction. I've called Jayco several times with questions, and their CS has been great so far...
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Check online for reviews of the service departments for each dealership. You will likely need to return to your purchasing dealer for warranty work, and having a better rated service team might be worth the 50 mile drive in traffic if the dealership 3 miles away gets crappy reviews for their service work.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

Jayco is a nice trailer I'd go with them over Starcraft
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In my tt/5-r days (15 years ago), Jayco was a quality, reliable mfr. If that's still the case, I'd choose the Jayco if the dealer has a good reputation. Check rvservicereviews.com to see if either of the dealers you're considering are listed.

Why not try negotiating for the added camera with your close dealer? Worst case, they say no.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

I would go with Jayco, they make a quality product and I believe they still have a two year warranty. I have been helping my Son looking for a travel trailer and so far nothing has seemed as well made as the Jayco, and they seem to be willing to negotiate a fair price.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Both are weekend/vacation trailers, not full-time coaches, if that makes a difference. Do you have a suitable tow vehicle, or will you be buying one? If you don't know how to crunch the numbers to see if your current or proposed tow vehicle will be able to safely tow your new trailer be sure to ask. Don't take the word of the sales person.

I'd probably be inclined to go with the closer dealer, assuming that there are no other issues with them (Camping World has a poor reputation, for example). You WILL be taking it back for warranty work, and the closer the dealer is the easier it will be.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Agree with all. Bought a Jayco because of reputation. Had it half of last season, took to dealer for warranty work and winterizing and haven't heard from them since. Hoping they got it winterized in time. .. make sure you feel good about the dealer.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #11

My 2010 Starcraft was made by Jayco. They are the same company. I have had zero issues in 5 yrs at a camping frequency of approx 60 nights/ yr. I consider them the same quality level (and in most cases same layout/feature set) and would buy either assuming the warranty is the same.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote