Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Which TT....DW wants King bed in ultralight

Ok, so I am looking to retire at the end of the year and we will be purchasing our first TT. I have a 2016 Ford F150 XLT 2WD 5LV8 with full factory towing package installed. My wife insists on having a King bed and I've been looking at TT that we could tow that have reasonable floorplans. I ran across 3 of them that interest me and I was wondering if any others have these TT and what they thought of them.

1. Keystone CougerXlite 21RBS
2. Dutchman Aerolite 213RBSL
3. Keystone Passport Elite 19RB

Krazy Kajun
Krazy Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Not too many king beds available at any level except high-end units. Most are RV queen beds which are also shorter than residential. Good luck!
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

I too am looking at trailers with King Beds for just my wife and I. I don't want a large trailer as we do a lot of long hauls across the country. I just looked at the Cougar Xlite 21RBS at a dealer in Durango, they had two on the lot. They said they sell a lot of this floor plan. The dealer near my home in Texas said they do not stock this model as they do not sell well and if someone wants this size trailer they steer them to a Passport. Not sure who to believe.

While I liked the floor plan with a lot of counter space, the TV near the bed and still able to see the TV from the Dinette, I was very disappointed in the the quality of workmanship.

One trailer had the trim hanging off the ceiling in various places along with the wood trim that goes along the top of the slide falling off. The other trailer had a cabinet door that was falling off and the carpet cut to short exposing plywood at the flip up hamper door that allows you to put the clothes into a basket in the front storage area. Fit and finish on the cabinets was poor also.

My wife also said the 21RBS sort of reminded her of a hotel room since the bed is not separated by a wall. Still a contender, but also still looking for options
Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
You will not find a king bed in an ultra-lite trailer. I did replace my RV queen mattress with a full size Select Comfort queen. Took about 2 hours to install and reduced the weight.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

You can't put a king bed in any TT that's 8' wide. A king bed is 76" wide. TT is 96" wide on the outside. Minus 4" for wall thickness and you have 92". 92-76=16"
1/2 of 16" is 8". Now add the blankets and what not and you lose another couple inches. That would only give you 6" on each side to walk around the bed. If you really need a king, not just want one then you're probably on the bigger side of humans.
My wife and I are on the smaller side and do have a king at home. Even with our smaller stature we wouldn't want to try and walk around the bed in our trailer if we only had 6" of space.
You won't get a king bed unless you get a bed slide out TT. Or you put one in yourself.
Now if you were to look at Northwood Arctic Fox TT's in the Classic line they're 8'6" wide. That would give you more room. But with that being said all TT's have built in night stands. You still wouldn't be able to put the mattress in without it hitting the night stands.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
A king bed is not that much larger from a sleeping stand point and it virtually kills your wardrobe and nightstand space. We are pretty big people and are very comfy on our queen short. The extra space around the bed is so much nicer.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You can't put a king bed in any TT that's 8' wide. A king bed is 76" wide. TT is 96" wide on the outside. Minus 4" for wall thickness and you have 92". 92-76=16"
1/2 of 16" is 8". Now add the blankets and what not and you lose another couple inches. That would only give you 6" on each side to walk around the bed. If you really need a king, not just want one then you're probably on the bigger side of humans.
My wife and I are on the smaller side and do have a king at home. Even with our smaller stature we wouldn't want to try and walk around the bed in our trailer if we only had 6" of space.
You won't get a king bed unless you get a bed slide out TT. Or you put one in yourself.
Now if you were to look at Northwood Arctic Fox TT's in the Classic line they're 8'6" wide. That would give you more room. But with that being said all TT's have built in night stands. You still wouldn't be able to put the mattress in without it hitting the night stands.
Not true the Dutchman Aerolites all come with King bed. But you are correct about the cramped space.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Aerolite Kings are only 72" wide. A true King is 76". But it's definitely bigger than a queen. Looks like the shirt closets aren't any wider than a pair of shoes.
To the OP, make sure you check the payload capacity of the TT. Some are under 1000lbs. After you fill propane, add batteries, you'll have even less. Most weekenders will take 1000lbs +/- with them packing just the normal items.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

bed

we have a 2015 keystone outback, have the rv queen and its shorter

than a normal queen. its a inner spring mattress. i'm not in love with the

way its arranged, there"s a hanging closet, a small shelf (night stand??)

with the night stand and no room between it and the mattress it is a

challenge to get into bed. once your in bed you and yours are between

the hanging closet and under the overhead cabinets. There is NO room

for expansion. If you buy an Outback DO NOT get the bed with option

that raises your head so you can read, it does not work.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

To get a king bed, I had to go to a larger "ultralight". I use the term ultralight loosely as I believe my 2016 Outback 326RL weighs 8500 or 8700 pounds. But the king bed lies across the trailer. With the slide closed it just about touches the fixed dresser. The king bed and double fridge were key points for the DW. I wasn't able to find a smaller unit with a king. Of course it pushed me to go with a 3/4 ton truck so that won't help you much.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light