Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Which USED TT would you choose for $20k

Hello everyone,

If you dropped $20k in to a used TT what would it be and why?
What would be your length and why
What upgrades would you do or look for?
Do I need the four seasons package if I store it outside over winter?

I am collating as much knowledge as I can from all you pro's.

Also, would you choose an TT or a 5th wheel?
I can't afford to make a mistake etch, and I thank you in advance.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

You need to provide a little more info to get the most helpful replies. How many people will there be camping with you? Short trips or longer trips? What will you be using as a tow vehicle?

You don't need a four season trailer unless you plan on a lot of cold weather camping.
I think the biggest bang for the buck is trailers from around 22' to 28' (box length) trailers. They make bigger trailers, but IMHO, they can limit you on campsites and can be a lot to navigate around some gas stations.

As to brands, there are so many, but I'd certainly recommend the Winnebago Minnie line and I just saw an ad for a 2201DS listed for 18K and it was only a year or two old.
I'd also suggest Jayco as they make so many models and they are pretty easy to find used.

I suggest trying to find something less than 5 years old and make sure you learn what to look for, especially water damage.

Most importantly....you have to know what you can comfortably tow with your vehicle. You need to know and understand all the stuff related to GVW, payload capacity, tongue weight, etc.

Hope this helps, and if you provide more info, others may provide more advice.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You should be able to find a lightly used Northwood or OutdoorsRV product for that amount. What do you plan on towing it with and where?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Welcome to the forum!

You need to provide a little more info to get the most helpful replies. How many people will there be camping with you? Short trips or longer trips? What will you be using as a tow vehicle?

You don't need a four season trailer unless you plan on a lot of cold weather camping.
I think the biggest bang for the buck is trailers from around 22' to 28' (box length) trailers. They make bigger trailers, but IMHO, they can limit you on campsites and can be a lot to navigate around some gas stations.

As to brands, there are so many, but I'd certainly recommend the Winnebago Minnie line and I just saw an ad for a 2201DS listed for 18K and it was only a year or two old.
I'd also suggest Jayco as they make so many models and they are pretty easy to find used.

I suggest trying to find something less than 5 years old and make sure you learn what to look for, especially water damage.

Most importantly....you have to know what you can comfortably tow with your vehicle. You need to know and understand all the stuff related to GVW, payload capacity, tongue weight, etc.

Hope this helps, and if you provide more info, others may provide more advice.
This is exactly what I needed to hear.
Its just the two of us. We just want to get away for the w.e. but also use it for a week or two on longer vacations. My wife will not camp in winter. She won't even go in the pool unless its above 80 lol !!

I do like the luxuries but they come at a cost of TT length which I d feel will limit us greatly.

we are in no rush to get one but just want to learn so much about this before we take the plunge!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

There is a couple of reasons why we really like our Minnie 2201DS. It's only 26'9" total length and weighs 6,500 lbs. Or so loaded for a long trip. The outdoor kitchen has a 2 burner stove, bar fridge and sink w/hot & cold water. Bathroom is spacious with lots of wardrobe and closet space which we need for longer trips. The TV can be rotated for viewing in the dinette area or bedroom. We keep a nice leather office type chair in the dinette area...one of us gets the chair and the other stretches out on the dinette. I haven't found another trainer that has same creatures with as much storage space....the overall layout of many other trailers is the same, but storage is less and the outdoor kitchen is not available.

We bought the Minnie after owning 29' Sunline which was nice because it had a separate livingroom area from the dinette. But when we replaced it we wanted to go lighter and smaller. It works for us, but there are many who would rather have something in the 29-32' length. So, you really want to look at a lot of trailers and see what will work for you. Just be realistic
C re the towing capacity of your vehicle especially if you plan on taking longer and higher mileage trips.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #6

For 20k you should be able to get a NEW mid level TT depend on how long you want to go. On the low end side I have seen brand new 30ft bunkhouse TT's for around $17k. I REALLY like Jayco but I'm not into aluminum sides so you would probably have to spend over 20k to get a fiberglass one. If construction material doesn't matter to you I would take a hard look at Jayco Jayflight. KZ makes a really sweet looking TT too, as well as Forestriver and keystone but those are the brands most will tell you to look at.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would look in the 26-29 foot range. Fiberglass sides and end caps preferred. Look on RV trader to get a feel on prices, then offer less and be ready to buy or walk. Don't buy if there is any signs of leaks or damage as there are way many that are in perfect condition. Don't believe anything a salesman tells you, you look and inspect and be the judge. Inspect everything and plan on having the bearings and brakes done just to be sure. I really think that buying from a PP is a better way to go.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

Any used trailer can be a money pit. Brand doesn't matter. Be careful.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

youtube

check out the TT tips and advice, the is one on rot.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #10

Matrix, the tow vehicle is key in choosing a trailer. Can you let us know what you have now, and if you have the budget upgrade or not. I can't help much but this info will allow others to help you. Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Matrix, the tow vehicle is key in choosing a trailer. Can you let us know what you have now, and if you have the budget upgrade or not. I can't help much but this info will allow others to help you. Good luck.
Charlie, thank you so much for your post. After a long consideration I have decided on a 5er and will be checking out all the options for that.

I don't have a towing vehicle right now but I plan on a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck etc. I hope to put a Shockerhithc gooseneck on it too.

This forum has taught me so many great ideas in just a matter of days. You guys rock. Thank you!!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #12

water leaks

video on youtube shows how to find water damage, biggest problem seems to be roof damage, interesting..

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

Visit as many RV shows and RV dealer's lots as possible...examine as many units as possible. Picture yourself and your wife living in each trailer...cooking meals....spending time on a rainy day....using the bathroom...is the unit big enough?...too many buyers select a unit that is too small for their needs or lacking the extras that make the camping trips enjoyable. Make sure your wife is with you when you shop...if she isn't part of the selection you will not be happy campers. Talk to long time RV owners to get their input. The more units you look at the better your final selection will be.

If you are lucky you will find that perfect RV the first time around.
It is common to see almost new units up for sale because after one or two trips the former owners discovered they bought a unit that was too small or lacked the things they overlooked the first time around, or was more than their tow vehicle could handle.

Once you have selected your dream RV then find a vehicle with enough muscle to tow it. Get the tow vehicle set up correctly and you are good to go!

Happy Camping!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #14

I'd like to piggy-back on this thread, since it is a question we're considering, too, and it looks like the OP has changed his thinking.

Our situation is a bit different. We're full-timers, two adults and one cat. I work part-time for Laborers For Christ, a group of retirees who help congregations with their building and remodeling projects, so I have a small, but heavy, collection of tools. We don't have a home-base storage unit, so everything is with us.

We currently are in a 40' DP with a Jeep Liberty as a toad. If we make the switch to a TT, we'll be looking at a used F250 or similar truck. We're thinking that 30-34' would be the right length. We want a high quality coach.

We've been looking at Airstream, Arctic Fox, Black Stone, and Open Range. Any other brands we should look at?
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote