Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #43

Ok- after a 650 mile deadhead home yesterday, I have to provide the following I tel on my Equalizer E4: it sounds horrible at low speed, less so since I orange for the "jackets" (which should come with a hitch at this price point), but still it sounds like I am dragging parts when pulling into a gas station. That said, it is minimal inconvenience compared to how well it tackled strong winds across Illinois and Iowa.

Great handling overall rig. I'm glad I sprang for it.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #44

nomad95 No , you do not need to unhook to back up. The more we tow with it, the more we like it. No more worrys when a (bat out of hell ) log truck flys past you on a 2 lane hwy in Georgia any more !!!!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX View Post
Ok- after a 650 mile deadhead home yesterday, I have to provide the following I tel on my Equalizer E4: it sounds horrible at low speed, less so since I orange for the "jackets" (which should come with a hitch at this price point), but still it sounds like I am dragging parts when pulling into a gas station. That said, it is minimal inconvenience compared to how well it tackled strong winds across Illinois and Iowa.

Great handling overall rig. I'm glad I sprang for it.
It really shouldn't be that loud. Mine isn't. I don't have those "jackets" either. I do use their lubicant on the L brackets.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Pivot point for the trailer is behind the rear bumper - that is why sway WILL occur, only question is how much and how violent, most do a good job of controlling the sway.
You assert sway is inevitable with most hitches, this is not true; people have towed with simple hitches and never encountered sway.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
nomad95 No , you do not need to unhook to back up. The more we tow with it, the more we like it. No more worrys when a (bat out of hell ) log truck flys past you on a 2 lane hwy in Georgia any more !!!!

thanks for the reply rideandslide. i did remove it before backing into camp site. a lot of trees and maneuvering just to be safe.
thanks again.
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #48

He who has an Andersen doesn't have a problem or question!
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
He who has an Andersen doesn't have a problem or question!
From my reading of various trailer forums I'm under the impression that while the Andersen has the virtue of light weight it won't throw as much weight as systems using spring bars and thus may be inadequate in some situations where bar systems will work well.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #50

I just returned yesterday from an 800mi round trip to Fernandina Beach, FL. My Blue Ox was EXCELLENT!!!

The ride was smooth and never choppy. I had ZERO sway even when dealing with big rigs. Even my wife was impressed with how the ride was the entire way down and back. Travelling speed was 65mph and we enjoyed the haul until we had tire trouble about 35 minutes from home.

The right rear tire broke a belt and the tread separated from the carcass...at 65mph. It was a fun ride I can assure you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	128867  
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
From my reading of various trailer forums I'm under the impression that while the Andersen has the virtue of light weight it won't throw as much weight as systems using spring bars and thus may be inadequate in some situations where bar systems will work well.
This is all I can find on that:
14,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball, 10,000 lbs GTWR 2" ball when using 2" rack • 1,400 lbs tongue weight
16,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball, 10,000 lbs GTWR 2" ball when using 2-1/2" rack • 1,600 lbs tongue weight

Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch

Is that less then others?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #52

Numbers don't tell the whole story. You can have two different hitches, trucks, whatever, with the same numbers but vastly different experiences.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
You assert sway is inevitable with most hitches, this is not true; people have towed with simple hitches and never encountered sway.
I would say that those people haven't encountered SIGNIFICANT sway. As I noted, lots of people have towed lots of miles with NO sway control. Yes a properly loaded trailer, good tongue weight, etc. will go a long way to keeping the trailer under control. However, under the right (wrong?) conditions, physics says that sway can occur.
From what I have read and people I have talked to, a major reason many originally migrated to 5vers before sway control / eliminate hitches became available is that because of where the pin connects to the truck, sway was significantly reduced and made for safer towing.
I wonder how many people would say that they have done extensive towing across west Texas without a modern hitch and NEVER encountered sway.
SailorSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #54

There is an upper limit and I forget what it is. Our old 25RKS is heavier than many newer trailers up to near 30'. Check their website for recommendations. If you still have a question call, they are quite helpful.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #55

I put a li'l grease St those contact points where the L brackets go- it made a significant difference. In windy Iowa, I am glad for the hitch. On the way to the campground this weekend, the wind was something else. We rode fine.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #56

Going over the numbers for our new trailer and the way it's loaded it turns out my 1000lb equalizer isn't enough. I'm a hair under 1200lbs on the tongue. So i'd opt to get the 1200lb equal-i-zer setup however if we are dry camping I will have a full water tank and then i'm just over 1200lbs and would need the 1400lb setup. Didn't want to go too high as that too can have adverse effects.

It's amazing how fast the weight adds up!

Tags
weight