Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #29

I also use the Equalizer hitch. Easy to hook up after you get that 60 pound hitch in the receiver. Works great and I don't have any problems with transfer trucks or bouncing down the road. It was about $500 from Amazon with free shipping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #30

We have the Blue Ox Pro also. I really can't compare since it is the only one we ever had for our Evergreen UltraLite TT, but I wanted to be a bit more specific on the product that others are not detailing.

First, it works well and stops the camper sway very good. The only issue I have is hooking it up and taking it off. Of course I can do it, but I do not think my wife could do it. It something takes quite a bit of manly strength to set the chains and lock/unlock. Of course my dealer folks showed me... raise the trailer hitch to make installing a little easier... but when removing, be careful. I've had the hitch slip and the wrench go flying, crashing into the fiberglass gas tank on the front. Luckily no damage or injuries. It would have hurt someone if it hit them and possibly twisted someone wrist if they didn't have the strength or the smarts to quickly move. There is no easy way to remove them since there is a lot of pounds-per-pressure on the chains and nut, with an oversize wrench. I haven't heard others complain, so I guess I am a loner on this, but just be warned. Also, with my Blue Ox model, the two items that attach to the trailer frame could have been designed a little better. On mine, they are attached with only ONE bolt. So naturally after a trip you have to make sure they are still tight. I've had the left one go a little loose and make putting the chains/bar on very difficult.
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 AM   #31

Raise the back of the tow vehicle to unhook the same as you did to hook up. We do that, takes a lot of the tension off the bars ! We use to have a chain type of hitch, but upgraded to a straight bar type, much easier to hook up ! 63 yr. old gizzer with a bad back !!!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Raise the back of the tow vehicle to unhook the same as you did to hook up. We do that, takes a lot of the tension off the bars ! We use to have a chain type of hitch, but upgraded to a straight bar type, much easier to hook up ! 63 yr. old gizzer with a bad back !!!

+1 on this. Use the tongue jack to take the tension off when hooking up and unhooking the Sway Pro. Easy-peasy! I'm 69.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #33

So which one is the best?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
So which one is the best?

Ha! As you can see most of us like what we have, be they Blue Ox Sway Pros, Equalizers, Andersens or other even pricier or somewhat cheaper units. And I think it's kind of dependent on your truck and trailer and what works best on it. Stay with any of the better hitches, size it correctly for your rig and I believe you will be happy. Again, though, I am very happy with my BO Sway Pro! LOL
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:
X3 on this. In my case I just lower the jack till it makes good contact with the pad. I might raise the rear of the truck 1/8"-1/4". Reason being I have the auto level system on my RAM. If I raise the truck any more than that it goes through all sorts of gyrations trying to get back to what height the computer wants to be. Ditto if I don't lower the jack, if I disco a chain on one side the rear of the truck will drop a bit and the system goes into doing what it does. I'd guess if you disco'ed both chains at the same time it'd be okay. My WDH deal is to just lower the front end down a 1/2" or so. The rear is gonna be level with or without the WDH hooked up as long as the hitch weight is under 2000-2400 lbs. It's an odd system that takes a little gettingused to, but now that I understand it I like it.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Ha! As you can see most of us like what we have, LOL
True.

I learned a lot from this thread.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #37

I have a Reese hitch with the chains. I think it's a Reese product anyway. I have to used separate sway bars of the friction type, those are Curt. I kinda like the Andersen as it has great reviews and is light. Light and compact is always good in my book. Some have had issues with the friction material falling apart on them but that was in a few isolated cases. From looking at customer satisfaction etc the top hitch is the Pro Pride. But it is super heavy and very expensive. From my experience I'd say to get a non-chain type hitch with built in sway control. The sway control is just as important as the weight distribution in my minds eye. Heck, I can tow my 8,000 lb 800 lb hitch Keystone with my RAM without a WDH, but I'd still have sway to deal with.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #38

I'll let you know tomorrow. I just bought an E4 Equalizer for my Ram 1500 Eco. Liked what I saw and read about it.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #39

i just bought my TT used and the guy gave me the husky center line ts that he
had. i only towed it a hour to my house. it was not set up for my truck.
it towed fine no problems on interstate. i set it up for my truck per instructions. it was set to high. now TT is level when connected to truck.
raising the truck when connecting or disconnecting does make it a lot easier. found that out by reading instructions. i guess the guy i bought it from didn't know that. because he never said anything when i was connecting it up to my truck. will see how it goes this weekend. looks like a great hitch.
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #40

Cool Not a recomendation, just the results of my research.

This reply is just a summary based on a lot of research of many different websites and talking to a few people I know.
1. Hensley and Pro-Pride. These list themselves as sway ELIMINATION hitches. Based on the same patented design. Causes trailer to act more like you are towing a 5th wheel. Very stable. Virtual pivot point moves pivot up close to TV rear axle. (Design allows TV to pivot trailer normally during turns). Downsides - $2500 cost, specific learning curve to hook up - once learned, reputed to be easy to use. For info, go to the Air Stream user group website and read the "Ultimate HAHA" entry. I have not heard of any user of these deciding to use anything else.
2 Many options for sway CONTROL hitches. You will have some sway. Sway is controlled by friction control points, I have not seen anything to lead me to believe the friction spots "wear out". Pivot point for the trailer is behind the rear bumper - that is why sway WILL occur, only question is how much and how violent, most do a good job of controlling the sway. Best units allow you to use them in all weather and while backing up. There are some where you are supposed to disable the sway control in bad/wet weather and require you to disable to backup or you WILL damage the unit. As seen above, people generally like what they have. Pricing closer to the $500 range.
3. Weight distribution only hitches. No sway control. Lots of people have driven lots of miles with these. Should have even lower price.
From what I've heard, badly swaying trailers are at best a white knuckle event, and at worst end up in an accident.
Which is best? That depends on your desired driving comfort level, other requirements, and wallet.
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Another vote for the Husky Centerline TS, I don't think it's the best out there, but for the money ( retired on a budget ) it's a great hitch, great sway control, we love it !
Jim i have the same hitch. do you have to disconnect the bars when backing into camp site ? it doesn't say anything in the manual about backing up. just wondering. don't want to do any damage to it. thanks mike
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFeather View Post
We have the Blue Ox Pro also. I really can't compare since it is the only one we ever had for our Evergreen UltraLite TT, but I wanted to be a bit more specific on the product that others are not detailing.

First, it works well and stops the camper sway very good. The only issue I have is hooking it up and taking it off. Of course I can do it, but I do not think my wife could do it. It something takes quite a bit of manly strength to set the chains and lock/unlock. Of course my dealer folks showed me... raise the trailer hitch to make installing a little easier... but when removing, be careful. I've had the hitch slip and the wrench go flying, crashing into the fiberglass gas tank on the front. Luckily no damage or injuries. It would have hurt someone if it hit them and possibly twisted someone wrist if they didn't have the strength or the smarts to quickly move. There is no easy way to remove them since there is a lot of pounds-per-pressure on the chains and nut, with an oversize wrench. I haven't heard others complain, so I guess I am a loner on this, but just be warned. Also, with my Blue Ox model, the two items that attach to the trailer frame could have been designed a little better. On mine, they are attached with only ONE bolt. So naturally after a trip you have to make sure they are still tight. I've had the left one go a little loose and make putting the chains/bar on very difficult.
I'm also using a Blue Ox Sway Pro - EASY !!

If the weight / pressure is to high to release, lower the jack post and raise the front of the trailer. The chains should be almost slack - very little pressure.

My complaint with the Blue OX is the stupid design of the locking pin springs holding on the sway bars.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BX84-0176.html

I've broken them twice in as many trips. Don't pull too hard on the lock pins or they will come right out. You can't get them back in without bending the springs.

MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight