Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Potable water hoses everybody has them, including me. I really don't know why, I have a filter in the wet bay, and a premium filter at the kitchen tap. Enlighten me please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I want one that I can still roll up when the temps are in the 30's. I usually have to fold it up to put it away.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
reubenray, Doesnt get that cold very often in Socal. but my thinking is the same

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #18

I have a generic white hose and in line filter, but don't really see the point. Have and will never drink RV tap water. Only for washing, brushing and flushing. It does smell fine, but I need to be really thirsty before ingesting.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #19

We drink all the water available. Tank or city. We use an inline house style filter at the city inlet and another filter at the faucet. Sanitize the FW tank every year. Never ever any issues. We also have a never kink blue hose that we bought at WalMart. It won't however roll up easy in cold temps. I'm talking 30-40 degrees. Above 40+ it's okay.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
IC2

The folks that wont drink filtered CG water that has been supplied through the hopefully sanitized RV ststem are a real laugh. Do they really think that their own city supplied or well water is less toxic. Or that bottled, kinda filtered water from a municipal source in BPA coated plastic jugs that may have been heated while in transit is better?

If the CG water is clear and smells good, then you have passed it through your nice clean hose to an activated carbon filter or a lead and cyst filter, you just aren't going to get any better.

Do your research.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #21

Laugh all you want. I've been to way too may campgrounds that have their own well or 50+ year old water tank, rusting iron pipes, etc. Every time you turn the water on, you get a blast of brown nastyness.
I can buy a case of 30 water bottles for $2.99 so it's easy to take an ice cold bottle hiking or on day trips. And I never buy "purified" water. It's a convenience more than anything else.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The hoses here are excellent quality, 200 psi with brass or stainless connectors, come in various lengths and may be either grey or white both for potable water.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm

We are running 14k gallon Metal Trap Ultra Duo filters http://www.hydropuretechnologies.com...egory/rv-boat/

Then through the Flo-Pur 10,000 water softener.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/mobile...p/88-2130.htm=

Strip tested water yeaterday after filter change in RGV Hard Water and "safe well quality" park water. Between 0 and 1.5 on softness and pH - alkalinity well balanced and iron - chlorine - nitrate and nitrite and copper were basically nonexistent.

Every morning we see the Winter Texans head to the clubhouse with their gallon containers for filtered water and bags for ice, and many go there to shower. I don't really understand the mentality that puts up with that when multiple solutions exist.

We think nothing of using the our "house water" for cooking, sun tea or just plain sipping. Our ice is crystal clear.

So yes - good quality, potable water hoses are a must. But only the beginning. As for bottled water. Still would not be without it. We are picnic table rvers. We keep a cooler by the table loaded with bottled water. Grabbing some now and heading to the beach.
BTW - the ice maker here at the park is running Metal Trap Ultra filters... should be a clue. I haven't peeked. Whine the curtain to see what's on the fresh water source but have a pretty good idea.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #23
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Laugh all you want. I've been to way too may campgrounds that have their own well or 50+ year old water tank, rusting iron pipes, etc. Every time you turn the water on, you get a blast of brown nastyness.
I can buy a case of 30 water bottles for $2.99 so it's easy to take an ice cold bottle hiking or on day trips. And I never buy "purified" water. It's a convenience more than anything else.

I hope you enjoy drinking the BHA/BHT with potential carcinogens that virtually all strained city water suppliers seem to bottle their overpriced commercial water. I'll err on the other side, supply my own RV filtration system and drink the usually safe CG water
Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I hope you enjoy drinking the BHA/BHT with potential carcinogens that virtually all strained city water suppliers seem to bottle their overpriced commercial water. I'll err on the other side, supply my own RV filtration system and drink the usually safe CG water
Aren't BHA and BHT preservatives and plastic bottles "may contain" levels of bpa???
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #25
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Aren't BHA and BHT preservatives and plastic bottles "may contain" levels of bpa???
From my reading on the subject, if it's the Poland Spring, Sam's (Wal-Mart), Dasani and any others in the crinkly thin walled bottle, it most likely has BHA as an anti oxidant. Will that stuff hurt you? Maybe not you but there is enough testing work going on that potential that I'll choose other ways to get my water as I might just be one of those that can't metabolize the BHA (or BHT).

As a test, leave an unopened bottle of water where it can get pretty darn hot several times over a period of a few days - like in your car. Open it and take a swig - it's not so good tasting any longer. Those high temps can also be reached anywhere from the bottling plant dock, delivery trucks, store or even in your possession.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
From my reading on the subject, if it's the Poland Spring, Sam's (Wal-Mart), Dasani and any others in the crinkly thin walled bottle, it most likely has BHA as an anti oxidant. Will that stuff hurt you? Maybe not you but there is enough testing work going on that potential that I'll choose other ways to get my water as I might just be one of those that can't metabolize the BHA (or BHT).

As a test, leave an unopened bottle of water where it can get pretty darn hot several times over a period of a few days - like in your car. Open it and take a swig - it's not so good tasting any longer. Those high temps can also be reached anywhere from the bottling plant dock, delivery trucks, store or even in your possession.
You better not go into an RV, since most are saturated in urea-formaldehyde resins.

The slight risk generated by unlikely, repeated, severe heat cycles causing trace amounts to leach into the water does not concern me. You inhale more toxins and carcinogens driving down the highway.
You can do whatever you like with your water.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Dang. Thought i stumbled upon "whats a better TV Gas or Diesel"
Happy travels to all.;O)

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #28

Here's a nice flat hose that rolls up in its own reel. Work great.
Search - flat water hose - Camping World

Happy trails,

billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote