Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #29

Here we go again! My roof is still leaking! Today the unit goes back to the dealer. This will be the fourth attempt to find the problem! Very frustrating.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #30

Jayco Owners Club
The Element is redesigned and back in production. They are only producing the shorter version for now. It doesn't suit my needs so I am sticking with what I have...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementary View Post
Here we go again! My roof is still leaking! Today the unit goes back to the dealer. This will be the fourth attempt to find the problem! Very frustrating.

Any update on your leak issue?
We have a small leak where the fender meets the floor under the kitchen slideout and we get a little bit of water when we travel in the rain. As soon as I can, we'll pull our Element into the driveway and I'll use some type of sealant or foam to seal the crack. Shouldn't be a big or expensive project.
When re-calking the roof seams, I found using a cheap paint brush with the brisitles trimed fairly short is a great tool for forcing the Dicor into the cracks and seams.
Bob
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
I've been reading through this thread and am surprised at how many problems these units have. They look "pretty" but there are obviously major problems with these trailers. I'm guessing a lot of owners are having problems with their units. If I had a unit I would get rid of it as quickly as possible given that these will likely be orphaned in a few years and with reviews being what they are....it will be difficult to trade up with one as a trade in as word gets out about the problems with these trailers. We ran into an airstream convention at 7 feathers last year. DW and I loved taking walks and looking at all the airstreams and a few were classics in super shape. If you were looking for something attractive and "hip" that would be my choice. I bought a 5er new and I can tell you if I had the ongoing problems that have been reported on this thread I would be threatening a lawsuit if they didn't take the POS back. Good luck......
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I've been reading through this thread and am surprised at how many problems these units have. They look "pretty" but there are obviously major problems with these trailers. I'm guessing a lot of owners are having problems with their units. If I had a unit I would get rid of it as quickly as possible given that these will likely be orphaned in a few years and with reviews being what they are....it will be difficult to trade up with one as a trade in as word gets out about the problems with these trailers. We ran into an airstream convention at 7 feathers last year. DW and I loved taking walks and looking at all the airstreams and a few were classics in super shape. If you were looking for something attractive and "hip" that would be my choice. I bought a 5er new and I can tell you if I had the ongoing problems that have been reported on this thread I would be threatening a lawsuit if they didn't take the POS back. Good luck......
Fred1609,
I guess your 5er sits in the driveway most of the time and doesn't actually get used, hence, you have a "perfect" RV and never had a problem.
I'm not quite sure why you feel it is necessary to slam another owner's camper on a public forum?
If you believe that the Airstream is such a great unit, sell your POS 5er and buy one. Maybe you ought to read the Airstream forum first to learn about the issues Airstream owners are having.
Better yet, take your 5er and stick it where the sun never shines.
Bob
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #34

I am on the Airstream forum. Just like any RV, they can have problems. Difference is, there is alot of support out there from the manufacturer, dealers, and users. There is also a large number of restorers and modders specializing in Airstream. They are definately cool, definately can be expensive. Some are amazingly preserved 50 year olds, some are shot at 10 years. Just like anything, if you care for it, it should hold up well.

There is certainly nothing wrong with buying an orphan product if the deal is right and you have an understanding of what you are getting yourself into. The subsystems are generally whats in everyone else's RV. You also have to do your research and see if they are problematic or have quality issues on the remainder. Casual readers of this forum would rightly assume this brand has a spotty quality track-record. So buyers of these used units need to be comfortable with the fact they may be on their own making some repairs, and not just buy one and then complain about it's quality.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #35

My wife and I have owned a 2012 Element, purchased used, since Nov. 2012. With the exception of a couple of issues that I have been able to resolve with the help of Evergreen and other Element owners, we've had smooth sailing over the course of more than 6,000 miles. I easily tow my aero-dynamic, super light weight Element with a comparatively tiny VW Toaureg TDI. I average 17 MPG, to boot. In addition to its progressive design and quality of materials and manufacture, the Element is undoubtedly the coolest looking camper on the road.

Forums are used more for seeking advice and support when encountering issues than boasting about ones RV. For the record, what's written above is my experience. From what I understand, Evergreen Element owners are a very small minority. It would be interesting to hear the experience of other Element owners.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I am on the Airstream forum. Just like any RV, they can have problems. Difference is, there is alot of support out there from the manufacturer, dealers, and users. There is also a large number of restorers and modders specializing in Airstream. They are definately cool, definately can be expensive. Some are amazingly preserved 50 year olds, some are shot at 10 years. Just like anything, if you care for it, it should hold up well.

There is certainly nothing wrong with buying an orphan product if the deal is right and you have an understanding of what you are getting yourself into. The subsystems are generally whats in everyone else's RV. You also have to do your research and see if they are problematic or have quality issues on the remainder. Casual readers of this forum would rightly assume this brand has a spotty quality track-record. So buyers of these used units need to be comfortable with the fact they may be on their own making some repairs, and not just buy one and then complain about it's quality.
Windcrasher,
You are pretty much right on the money with your comments.
We have had GREAT support from Evergreen RV since our dealer is no longer in business.
As far as the small leak we've experienced, we now have well over 33,500 documented miles on our Element in just over two years. We spent 80 continuous days / 6,500 miles in it last year traveling Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica and returned via Death Valley, Las Vegas, Carlsbad Cavern and Roswell, NM.
The Element, in my opinion, is not an orphan. Evergreen RV is still in business and still making the Element. It has been redesigned to broaden its appeal.
We actually looked at an Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB prior to purchasing our Element, but due to the cost and weight of the Airstream, we decided to go with the Element.
Bob
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #37

Element roof leak

I got the unit back today and after using an ultra sound tool that detects issues that might leak, the dealer thinks he solved the problem. Apparently there was a seam that was not completely sealed. Things like this although frustrating are common and in no way do I consider this or any other issue I've had with the unit a "major" problem. I find this unit to be well built with lots of amenities, lightweight and visually appealing. I wanted the 24 foot version as it's size is perfect for me and a gas saver when towing. Considering the cost difference between the Element and an Airstream, the Element wins hands down. I paid less than half the cost of a comparable airstream and I feel the Element, dollar for dollar comes out ahead. Properly cared for, the resale value should remain within industry standards. I try and post all the issues I experience for the benefit of other owners and those considering the purchase of an Element, not because I am venting or unhappy with the unit but for informational purposes. I am a happy and proud owner of one of the most modern, aerodynamic, lightweight towables on the market and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #38

My Element

Rained fairly hard last night an not a drop! Supposed to have heavy rain this weekend and I am optimistic that my leak is fixed! I can't say enough good things about Paul and Don at Lancaster County RV in Salunga, PA. (Evergreen dealer) They have worked with me on the warranty items and have been extremely helpful. The Evergreen company has also been very helpful and have consistently returned emails. Every time I pull into a campground, I spend the first few hours talking about this unit! People love this thing! I don't regret my decision to purchase the Element at all and the more I use it the happier I am. I agree they aren't for everyone and I agree the price, initially, was high. Evergreen is working to make it more affordable and I hope in so doing they don't eliminate the uniqueness of the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetravelkid View Post
Windcrasher,
You are pretty much right on the money with your comments.
We have had GREAT support from Evergreen RV since our dealer is no longer in business.
As far as the small leak we've experienced, we now have well over 33,500 documented miles on our Element in just over two years. We spent 80 continuous days / 6,500 miles in it last year traveling Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica and returned via Death Valley, Las Vegas, Carlsbad Cavern and Roswell, NM.
The Element, in my opinion, is not an orphan. Evergreen RV is still in business and still making the Element. It has been redesigned to broaden its appeal.
We actually looked at an Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB prior to purchasing our Element, but due to the cost and weight of the Airstream, we decided to go with the Element.
Bob
thetravelkid,

I whole-heartedly agree with your comment. I am on my third season with a 24SK, it has had its share of issues and the warranty support from Evergreen as been astonishing. Now that the warranty is up and I have decided to keep the trailer, I have torn into it to address a couple design issues that were driving me nuts. There is a huge gap (between the fiberglass end cap and the floor that is open to the outside, it allows dust and grime to enter and accumulate under the rear bench. Also large portions of the end cap at the corner are not insulated at all. So....all the benches were removed, the entire area around the floor panel was foamed both inside and out, end cap foamed and benches re-built so the cushions can be easily removed for mechanical access.

I try to see things like this as improving an already good package, rather than fixing a poor product. So many things about these trailers are so well engineered, and the quality of components so good, it baffles me how some things are just done so poorly. Be very aggressive identifying defects to make the most of the warranty. Even my local dealership comments on the how unusually long and extensive the warranty is on these trailers.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #40

Jayco Owners Club
I'm holding out for the bigger unit... if they ever build it. Thanks for all the posts, and please keep us informed. I would probably trade soon if I could get the bigger one, at a reasonable price.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #41

Nope! Not fixed yet! My Element roof is still leaking. After some hard rain the other night, I awoke to water running down the walls in several areas and water soaking the carpet in the kitchen area. I have had enough! I have serious concerns now about mold in the unit. The company offered to pick up the unit and repair it at the factory. That might be a fix (5th attempt) but what about mold? The way they built this thing with vinyl over sponge pad in the ceiling, actually traps water and will not let it dry out as there is no ventilation through the vinyl. I looked at a new Element yesterday and it is a totally different animal. New and I assume improved seam between the roof cap and sidewalls and wood is now used throughout the unit. Any other Element owners have leakage issues?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #42

Element

Just a follow up to my previous post here. The new Element has wood cabinetry, two slides and seems much larger. it weighs almost twice as much as the previous model. I think Evergreen realized they made some errors in the previous model and have made some serious changes in the construction of the new model. The shower and bath area are much nicer. The kitchen with center island is so much nicer. Useable sink, wood cabinets, nice fixtures. The exterior seems much larger but still retains the unique look of the previous version. There is a definite change to the wall to roof cap seam. Unfortunately, like Earthbound, the original Element models have issues. I unfortunately bought one that has holes in it.

Tags
evergreen