Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetravelkid View Post
Lilrhody,
Congrats on the purchase of your Element!
My wife Pat and I are original owners of a 2012 26SRL.
We are rapidly approaching the 40,000 mile mark on it and continue to enjoy it.
Our home is located along the Gulf Coast in South Mississippi.
If there is anything we can do to help, let us know!
Where are you located?? What year is your Element??
Bob

Thanks for the welcome (somehow missed this post earlier).

We are located in Toronto, but will be bringing our "Ellie" to Mississippi on her maiden voyage - heading down to visit my mom.

We bought a 2015 - the 26 RBSS model.

We haven't done our PDI yet, but have visited her twice since our purchase, including once to move some Christmas gifts into her. (Dealer storing her for us over the winter).

Would love any tips folks have for our PDI. During our recent visit, I noticed a few things that I brought to the dealer's attention so they could address them before we pick her up in April.

The most concerning was what looked like salt stains on the floor all around the center island - made me concerned that one of the slides might be leaking. The other were some big cracks in the gel coat/paint along one edge of the front.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #72

If you see those issues why are you even buying it?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #73

Lilrhody,
I hope you can get those issues repaired BEFORE you drive off the lot, otherwise you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle. There is absolutely no reason to accept the unit unless it is as it should be. If not, walk away.
We bought a 36 foot diesel pusher a few years ago and wound up having to take it back to the factory. When the service manager looked at the rubber roof bubbling up, he said it was just cosmetic.
I asked if he had a hammer I could borrow. He asked "Why?" I told him I planned to put a few dents in the hood of his truck, but he shouldn't worry, as it was only cosmetic.
The roof was repaired.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Lilrhody,
I hope you can get those issues repaired BEFORE you drive off the lot, otherwise you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle. There is absolutely no reason to accept the unit unless it is as it should be. If not, walk away.
We bought a 36 foot diesel pusher a few years ago and wound up having to take it back to the factory. When the service manager looked at the rubber roof bubbling up, he said it was just cosmetic.
I asked if he had a hammer I could borrow. He asked "Why?" I told him I planned to put a few dents in the hood of his truck, but he shouldn't worry, as it was only cosmetic.
The roof was repaired.

That's awesome!!! 😄
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Lilrhody,
The roof was repaired.

Love it!! And we will not be leaving the lot until everything is perfect.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #76

Jayco Owners Club
This thread hasn't been active for a while... I see that there's an new Element in Abilene, TX at a dealer, and I was very interested in one of these at one time. So... save me a trip... or tell me to hurry out there... Several have had problems as I recall. Were they repaired satisfactorily? Anyone got a newer one lately? How are they holding up? I may run out there Saturday just to satisfy my curiosity, unless I get several "don't bother" replies.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #77

Bal Hide-A-Spare

We're right at 42,000 miles on our first generation Element.
Today was the annual "Lube The Bearings" day. This went off without a hitch as my Bride (of 47 years) and I do this every 10,000 miles. No surprises at all. For no other reason except "I like it" I use the Mobile 1 synthetic grease. A bit more expensive than some brands, but I can't argue with its quality.
I also wanted to check on the spare. Ugh! What a chore. The first generation Elements have the BAL Hide-A-Spare. If you haven't checked your spare yet....well, you're in for a fun experience.
Most likely, you'll find the the plastic knob will not turn. I called BAL in California and received some great "try this" ideas from John, one of their technicians.
I first removed the keeper that's on the bolt. This prevents the bolt from working loose. Ha! I should be so lucky. I tried to loosen the bolt from the nut but only managed to shear the bolt off after breaking the blastic handle off.
I then got out my Dremel Tool with a heavy duty cutting wheel (John's suggestion) and put the abrasive side down. I was able to cut halfway through using two cutting wheels. Don't forget to wear your safety glasses!! I then used a pair of vice grips to break the square nut off.
I did jack up the curb side to give me some working room. Time to crawl under a bit further.
You'll need a pair of vice grips to hold the long bolt that goes from a lug nut hole in the wheel through a plate to keep it from turning and a ratchet to remove the nut that holds the tire in place.
I was then able to drop the spare. Can you imagine trying this by the side of the road? In the rain??
I had to tie a rope to the Hide-A-Spare and pull on the "candy cane" tubes to get the storage bracket (that's what BAL calls it / them) to slide out.
After checking the spare, I was off to the local hardware store and bought a 3/8 inch stainless steel bolt, a nylok nut plus two stainless steel washers. I bought a 1 1/2 inch bolt, but a 3/4 inch bolt would have been long enough.
Getting the spare back onto the carrier was a bit of a challenge for this 67 year old guy, but with the help of my wife sending psychic suggestions, I was able to get it in place. Make sure you center the spare correctly on the carrier. I had to use a jack to lift up the carrier and then push it into place. I then installed the stainless bolt and nut. Just over two hours which included the trip to the local hardware store.
If you don't have the information about the Hide-A-Spare, just Google "BAL Hide-A-Spare" and go to the Norcoind website. There is also a youtube video.
Good luck!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #78

Second generation Element

Schrederman,
Lilrhody is the only one I'm aware of that has a second (or is it third generation now?) generation Element. I suggest you send him a PM. He took delivery of his Ellie and made the trip from Canada to southern Mississippi.
Bob
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #79

Schrederman - we have a 2015 Element - the 26RBSS. We got her in April, lived inner the first 2 weeks we had her and every weekend since, and, so far, love her.

When we did our first walk through, I found a few problems: a big crack in the gel coat on the front cap, rust on the stairs, a few pieces of trim that weren't fully attached. The dealer took care of all of them, and some cosmetic problems we didn't notice, before we took delivery.

As with any trailer, we had a few minor issues post delivery. For example, the frame for the shower door wasn't fully siliconed and leaked on the floor the first time I showered - but that was an easy fix. We also are waiting on the arrival of a replacement screen for one of the windows since the one installed is warped.

I have to admit that we love when people stop us and ask about her - the unique look is pretty cool!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #80

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks, the one I've seen on line is a 30FLS. It's about 33' and looks nice. The only thing I don't like is the kitchen is kind of split.... and there's only one air conditioner. It gets really hot down here.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #81

Evergreen Owners Club
No Expert on the Element

While I do not own an Element, a nice looking unit pulled in next to us while we were camped at Flying Flags in Buellton, California. The youngish couple with their two children and dog had been traveling the western part of the United States in their Evergreen Element. What caught my immediate attention, however, was the sad condition of the lower forward panels on both sides of the trailer. The panels were compromised badly because of wind buffeting, creating an almost pinching appearance in several exterior locations. How sad because other than the lower panels being compromised, the Element was a darn nice looking RV.

On my 2013 Bay Hill, I too have noticed the lower panels were not stabilized as well as they might have been. On my previous Cardinal 5th wheel, braces from the frame to the lower panels secured them quite well. My Bay Hill, fortunately, has not encountered the structural degradation that my neighbor's Element had endured. His immediate plan was to finish out his western travels and then return to Texas and replace his Element with another travel trailer.

Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #82

Jayco Owners Club
I got to look at the Element in Abilene as mentioned in an earlier post. I just walked through it and around it on the outside, and I hate to say it, but that trailer took Elements off my short list... too many problems... walls actually patched on the inside, poor attention to detail in places, flimsy, poorly fitting exterior panels as Ken mentioned, and... well... it just didn't measure up. I am disappointed to say the least because I think other than the Forest River Aviator, these are the coolest looking trailers made. Does it REALLY cost that much to get people to pay attention to detail? REALLY??
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #83

The complexity of travel trailer manufacturing and the variables of their use make it difficult to get a true assessment of a unit's performance. My first experience with the Element was in late 2012 at Dick Gore's RV world in St. Augustine. It looked great and appeared to be built with high-quality materials and craftsmanship. Two and a half years and 20,000 miles later, I'm of the same opinion. I haven't yet had the need to change a flat as my friend Bob had previously quoted, nor problems associated with interior patching and poorly fitted panels. With the exception of a poor choice that Evergreen made for seating fabric (attractive and expensive, but not up to the rigors an RV lifestyle), I'm quite happy with my Element and have no regrets about my purchase. Will I buy an Element next time around? Probably not. The first edition Element was progressive step in design. Aesthetics aside, it tows easily and efficiently (I average 16.8 mpg with a VW Touareg TDI). The newer editions' compromise to fit mainstream use, sadly, possibly neutered that appeal. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my two cents.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #84

KenInCa,
What year Element(s) are you referring to?
The first generation (2012-2013) or second generation Element?
Although they both carry the Element nameplate, they are as different as night and day.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "The panels were compromised badly because of wind buffeting, creating an almost pinching appearance in several exterior locations." I'm sure if I saw it in person, I would be able to see what you're referring to.
My wife and I went "kicking tires" this past week and we didn't see any new camper that we would be willing to purchase as a replacement for our 2012 Element. As alerra mentioned, the cushion material was a poor choice by Evergreen. We've had ours reupholstered after 4 years of hard use. By having the upholstery shop replace the original foam with a denser foam, we hope the cushions will not need to be redone again.
Bob

Tags
evergreen