Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Several reasons for me

1. Valuable bed space. I need it all for fire wood, for my kayaks, for extras.
2. With weight distribution hitches a 5th wheels towing advantages are much less over the travel trailer.
3. Cost, I got a lot more for my money with a travel trailer
4. You see a lot of half ton trucks towing trailers that are too heavy or not set up right at all. I see a lot of one tons not set up right as well to be fair. I have a one ton and wouldn't do it any other way with my 30' 8,000 pound trailer. It only cost $200 more than a 3/4 ton brand new with the same options... no brainer.

Now, that won't stop me from buying one in the future. When I retire I may go with a 5th wheel or possibly a coach. Time will tell but for my life right now the travel trailer was the obvious choice.

I went with diesel because of towing of course. It is a no brainer. I run across lots of people that are afraid of diesels. They claim extra maintenance etc... they really are misinformed. Maintenance is less although a bit more costly so it is a wash for the most part. Towing with a diesel is night and day compared to gas.

Side note: If you are going to buy a truck to tow something, buy a truck... not half a truck You never know when you may consider a larger trailer or need more payload. If you already have a half ton and are getting into a trailer you need to learn everything you can about proper setup and spend the money to get set up right. Stay well within the trucks limits. They don't have brakes designed for the job and the suspension is set up for comfort, not hauling/towing. This is just my opinion of course with a few facts sprinkled in

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

FWIW If somebody gave me a fiver I's sell it to get a pull behind or MH. I want my truck bed for stuff and the roof for boats.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

I would not be able to do the stairs
Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We want our pickup bed for other stuff, we carry canoes on the truck (works great with a topper on the bed), and I can't stand the idea of stairs to my bed every night.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went with a TT over 5th wheel because I like to get out in the woods and 5th wheels are almost always taller than a TT. I'm 10' 4" with the TT, but in order to have room to stand up in the bedroom of a 5th wheel, which on most models I've seen is over the hitch, it is clearly taller than my TT.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #20

One more thought... I do like a 5er with a front living format. These are generally quite large, but it's the only 5er floorplan I would consider.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #21

We had a TT and towed it behind a 2500 CTD LB CC. Went to a small 5th wheel. The nice thing about a 5th wheel is you get way more storage inside. More cabinets and more storage in the front basement area. Interesting thing is that our TT @31' OAL had 235 sqft. Our 28' 5th wheel also has 235 sqft but the total length of the truck and 5th is 7' shorter than the TT. It's also only 9" higher.
11'9" vs 12'6". We find we can get into more CG's with the 5th than we ever could with the TT.
Cost is really not an issue as most TT's are shorter than 5th wheels so they seem like they all cost less. Go find a 33' TT and a 33' 5th wheel. You can easily get some that cost the same. Plus you get 3-4' more living space in the same size trailer. If you spend a few $1000 more for the same length 5th wheel that's cause you get a few $1000 more in living space. You're not getting the wasted length of the TT tongue.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #22

I'm not sure I can totally agree with you on this. If you are talking about storage and ability to bring stuff camping, you have to include the bed of the truck for a TT. I'd love to see someone cram 4 bikes or a couple of kayaks inside a 5th wheel basement.
Also, length over all (LOA) isn't a good measure of Sq feet of living space. A TT has 4' of front hitch area outside the box, while a 5er has 3' of stairs inside the box. You can't count stairs that as living space.
The cost difference of only a few $1,000 is quite a deal you found. When I look at new TT and 5ers of comparable size and from the same manufacturer, the 5ers are easily $20-30k more... almost double in some cases.

As far as what campsites you can get into, I have to partially agree. You can turn a 5er really tight with a longbed. You do run the risk of tearing up your truck bed and camper if the break on the driveway is too steep. Especially on a longbed with no slide hitch. It just happened to a guy I know last week in his own driveway. Brand new Denali diesel and new to him 5er.
I have also been in some really uneven sights where I was still able to get my TT level and there is no way a 5er would have gotten low enough.
As far as the wasted tongue space, I keep my propane and battery there. Two things I would very much prefer outside of my living compartment.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I opted for a CLASS a BUT i Have relatives who decided differently.

They put a cap on the pickup and have a freezer in the bed for food storage, also store spares (Assorted spares) and other stuff in the bed of the pickup.. If they had a 5er they could not use the bed for storage in the same way as the hitch would be in the way.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #24

Thanks for all the replies. Food for thought. As I mentioned we have not bought anything yet. I have a clean canvas to work from before we full time. Looking at everything and owner feedback is invaluable.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I'm not sure I can totally agree with you on this. If you are talking about storage and ability to bring stuff camping, you have to include the bed of the truck for a TT. I'd love to see someone cram 4 bikes or a couple of kayaks inside a 5th wheel basement.
Also, length over all (LOA) isn't a good measure of Sq feet of living space. A TT has 4' of front hitch area outside the box, while a 5er has 3' of stairs inside the box. You can't count stairs that as living space.
The cost difference of only a few $1,000 is quite a deal you found. When I look at new TT and 5ers of comparable size and from the same manufacturer, the 5ers are easily $20-30k more... almost double in some cases.

As far as what campsites you can get into, I have to partially agree. You can turn a 5er really tight with a longbed. You do run the risk of tearing up your truck bed and camper if the break on the driveway is too steep. Especially on a longbed with no slide hitch. It just happened to a guy I know last week in his own driveway. Brand new Denali diesel and new to him 5er.
I have also been in some really uneven sights where I was still able to get my TT level and there is no way a 5er would have gotten low enough.
As far as the wasted tongue space, I keep my propane and battery there. Two things I would very much prefer outside of my living compartment.
Everything except firewood and our 2 bikes are in my basement storage. I have my bikes on the rear of the 5th. Our 2 kayaks are on the roof of the truck. I have 4' of space in front of the 5th hitch. Plenty of room for water jugs, firewood, and gen gas can. I also don't have to unpack anything when I get home, with the exception of the water jugs, etc.

Sqft is always more in a comparable 5th wheel. You mention the steps. Well what about the space between where you walk thru going from the living/bath to the bedroom. In TT's it's usually a narrow hallway the length of the bath area.

Here' an example of my 5th and the same exact floor plan in a TT from the same company.

Price is pretty close.
- Cordelia RV Center | Inventory

2016 Northwood Fox Mountain 235RLS Fifth Wheel - Cordelia RV Center | Inventory

When comparing prices you need to stay in equal trim levels. It's easy to get $20-30,000 difference in a 32' 5th to a 32' TT. At the same time you can also spend more on a TT. Look at the Blackstone line of TT's from Outdoor RV. $55,000 for some. Now go look at low end 5ers. You can easily find some at the same length for less. I agree a 5th generally is more money. It has more frame work and more body work. There comes a point though that it's about the added features that really raises the price on a 5th wheel.

You can't compare a eg, Jayco Jayflight 36' TT to a 36' DRV Mobile Suites 5th wheel. Gotta stay in the same trim levels.

I have no issues with either really. I owned 2 TT's before our 5th wheel. And under the right circumstance would get another. But after having both I just like the convenience of a 5th.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #26

In addition to all the good points made, my TT requires a 2500 to pull it (35' Rockwood). It's a diesel and I can cruise up hills without blinking and never worry about my height.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #27

It still all boils down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. Just because one guy can put 10 bikes and a grill on the back of his fifth wheel doesn't mean the next guy won't like them better in his truck bed.

I'm not stranger to fifth wheel or gooseneck hitches, but a TT is just a no brainer for us and quite a few other people. Its just plain easy.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Here' an example of my 5th and the same exact floor plan in a TT from the same company.

Price is pretty close.
- Cordelia RV Center | Inventory

2016 Northwood Fox Mountain 235RLS Fifth Wheel - Cordelia RV Center | Inventory
Nice comparison. I've been looking at the 25Y. Cool to have TT and fifth wheel with same floorplan from same manufacturer. Very nice floorplan in my opinion too with that split open bathroom.

I'm leaning toward the TT version for no interior steps and lower height by about 1'9", but the 235RLS is pretty cool and the extra storage would be nice. It is also narrower which would be nice (8'0" wide vs the 8'6" of the 25Y).