Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #57

Lynn, do you think it would make sense to balance drums first (while truing them)? Then the wheel/drum assembly next? That way, if you put on another wheel, the assembly would be better balanced. Or are tire/rim combinations perhaps too unbalanced between all the others you have anyway?

Have been reading a lot lately on forums about ST tires and failures. No scientific investigations by anyone, just a lot of personal and professional speculation. I have to wonder how much tire/wheel assemblies are out of balance contribute to tire failure. Have to guess that it's a factor in failure of the internal steel cords and in internal tread separation.

This is a very interesting thread from another forum on internal tread separation.RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ST Tire Failure Analysis (Long - Lots of Pics)

I know it's not exactly related to shocks, but the topic of wheel balancing was raised above and I think tire failure then can be part of the picture.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #58

We are researching RV's. Pro & Cons - TT, 5th wheel or MH. Looks like one must tow a car with a MH. Any advice for 2 upcoming retirees?
Thank you.
Mollie

Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcatron View Post
We are researching RV's. Pro & Cons - TT, 5th wheel or MH. Looks like one must tow a car with a MH. Any advice for 2 upcoming retirees?
Thank you.
Mollie
This deserves a new thread, and is also covered plenty in others. However, FWIW, I have had trailers (4), campers (2), and motorhomes (2). Towing a car behind a motorhome is a piece of cake except when backing up. I prefer driving the car for regular use when not in the RV to driving a heavy tow vehicle around. Towing a trailer is fine if the trailer handles well, but I have always felt that trailer towing requires more caution and is somewhat riskier from a safety standpoint. I don't know how you would fare in a collision in either type, but I have seen more accident results involving trailers than motorhomes. The livability factor comes down to personal preference with the floor plan and features. That's why there are both motorized and towable types. And I stick by my earlier post that many trailers are poorly built and on minimal foundations of old technology.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Lynn, do you think it would make sense to balance drums first (while truing them)? Then the wheel/drum assembly next? That way, if you put on another wheel, the assembly would be better balanced. Or are tire/rim combinations perhaps too unbalanced between all the others you have anyway?

Have been reading a lot lately on forums about ST tires and failures. No scientific investigations by anyone, just a lot of personal and professional speculation. I have to wonder how much tire/wheel assemblies are out of balance contribute to tire failure. Have to guess that it's a factor in failure of the internal steel cords and in internal tread separation.

This is a very interesting thread from another forum on internal tread separation.RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ST Tire Failure Analysis (Long - Lots of Pics)

I know it's not exactly related to shocks, but the topic of wheel balancing was raised above and I think tire failure then can be part of the picture.
The drums should be balanced after they are turned true. The problem is that there is no provision for metal removal or adding weights. The best that you can do is remove some metal, on the heavy side, but you must stop before the drum weakens too much. Mine were so much out of balance that I could not remove enough. Adding weight by welding is probably not a good idea as cast iron is not a good candidate for welding. This is why I suggested that the assembly be marked and balanced as a whole. I know that it would be better to have balanced drums so that tires could be rotated or replaced without going to so much trouble.

Back to shocks. I mounted mine at an angle for three reasons. First, more travel can be gained over one mounted straight up. Second, the shock has too much resistance, in my application, so mounted at an angle will reduce that effect. Third, the angle mounting somewhat reduces front to rear movement of the axle.