Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Why do travel trailers not have shock absorbers?

Travel trailers travel down the highway like any other vehicle..... Why don't they have stock absorbers as standard equipment? Wouldn't it give the rig a more stable ride? Does anyone out there know the answer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

i often wondered the same thing. I tow some smaller utility trailers and boat trailers and they tow very well. Not sure how much improvement shocks would give but you would think they would help the tires some (ever see a car go down the road with a bad shock). I do balance my trailer tires also. Not sure if it really makes a difference but I feel better.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a real good question. We have had 2 MH's and then in 2010 switched to TT's. I was shocked, no pun intended, when I realized that the TT did not have shocks. I put some on and it really improved the ride. When a TT or MH or any vehicle travels down the road there are three axis of movement that need to be reduced, controlled and or dampened. They are up and down, usually controlled by the shocks, side to side or sway, controlled by anti-sway bars, and yawl or twisting of the chassis left and right and controlled by track-rods. Yawl is like when you encounter a semi on a 2-lane road or if one comes from behind the TT or TV will try to move left and/or right until the disturbance of the wind ceases. TT's don't have shocks, anti-sway bars nor track bars/rods. I taught automotive for 35 years, aligned vehicles and do understand the need to control these forces but the TT industry is only interested in making $$$. Now think about this. If you installed shocks it would dampen the effect of both up and down but also rock and roll or the side to side movement. If you hit a bump with the left side the shocks would tend to dampen the movement of the TT and reduce the sway. So why not install shocks???? Well they want you to spend $400 $800 for a WDH which also has some anti-sway control capability as well. Bottom line is just that. They want you to spend the extra $$ to control something that they should build into the unit. Ask yourself these questions. Why do most TT still use drum brakes. They figured out how to activate drum brakes with an electric magnet. Why can't they invent a way to activate disc brakes as well. Anybody with any intelligence at all knows that disc brakes are much better than drum. Would you be surprised to know that Lippert one of the major axle builders still sells axles with drum brakes and they are not self-adjusting brakes. Self-adjusting brakes came out in the early 60's. They expect you to re-pack your bearing every 12 months or 12,000 miles and to adjust your brakes while you're at it. Dexter does make self-adjusting brakes on their axles. They still expect you to re-pack your wheel bearing every year. That's stupid real stupid. Bearing on cars and truck, those tht have front wheel bearings only need to be re-packed every 30-40,000 miles. Why are TT different???? Some will tell you that they carry more weight and are expected to carry a bigger load. Then put bigger bearing on the axles. Don't make the consumer bear the expense of re-packing bearings and adjusting brakes every year. TT are built on the cheap, cheap, cheap. Our last TT weighed 6,000 and had a maximum capacity with cargo of 7,000. It came from the factory with 2-3,000 -LB axles. That's only 1,000 LBS under capacity. They will tell you that the tongue weight is subtracted for the axle weight. There may be some truth to that but you are still on the edge of overweight and over capacity.
AS you can tell I have written about this subject many, many, many time on the different forums. I know what I am talking about and I will stick to my guns. TT's are built on the cheap and they will get away with it until they get sued.

We just traded out thrid TT in for a new Winnebago MH. I was tired of the crap they pawned off as quality units. I was always adding stuff, spending $$$ to make them safer and more reliable. I didn't want to get stuck with a broken down unit.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our Sunnybrook has them??? It's only an upper-middle class TT!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shocks absolutely help to keep the tires on the road which improves the life of the tire. Would you be surprised to hear that some TT owners don't believe in balancing their tires. Anytime you can reduce vibration and keep the tires in contact with the road you are improving the ride and life of the TT and the tires. It all comes down to saving a few bucks.
The TT I spoke of in my very long post that was 1,000 LBS under for the axles. I called the factory and when they determined that I found out what they tried to do they sent two 3,500 LB axles to my dealer in a week and installed them for free. That was after my dealer had already called them in the morning and they were told NO we will not increase the size of the axles.

TeJay
Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

My 2012 Arctic Fox 22H has shocks, 4 of 'em.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Our last TT weighed 6,000 and had a maximum capacity with cargo of 7,000. It came from the factory with 2-3,000 -LB axles. That's only 1,000 LBS under capacity.
Nowhere near 1000 pounds, but at least 300 pounds under capacity. 7k GVWR with 10% tongue weight = 6300 axle weight, or 300 pounds more than your GAWR.

Quote:
They will tell you that the tongue weight is subtracted for the axle weight. There may be some truth to that but you are still on the edge of overweight and over capacity.
Depends on your percentage of hitch weight, but if that trailer has 14.28% or more hitch weight, then you won't exceed the trailer's GAWR. But most TTs have 12% to 13% hitch weight, so that trailer would probably be overloaded when loaded to the GVWR. That's why the manufacturer didn't argue when you asked for 3500-pound axle replacements. Probably somebody screwed up on the assembly line, because most TT manufacturers use the 10% rule for sizing axles and tires.

]
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

My 25ft Tahoe toyhauler has shocks on both axles. Other campers I have had did not.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do realize that some TT do have shocks but the majority that I've seen don't. As far as the axle weights yes I do accept that the tongue weight is subtracted from the GVW but as you also stated you are on the edge.

As far as the manufacturer screwing up on the line that didn't happen unless it happened twice to the same guy. On our first trip last summer with the new TT we were broadsided by a dump truck in a Pilot service area. We were on our way home and it was totaled. After the insurance settled, because it was his fault, we ordered another just like it and the factory rep for this region assured us that it would have 3,500 LB axles. Well it came with 3,000 LB axles. They immediately shipped a new set and they were installed the following week. Guess what?? They shipped another set of 3,000 LB axles and the dummy tech installed them. The axles were black and there was a rather large white sticker plastered on the axle in two places with the weight in 3'4" numbers, "3,000 LB-AXLE" If it were a snake he'd be dead.

For these and several other reason we are switching back to a MH.

TeJay
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #10

Wink

Our 2004 Artic Fox has shocks. Makes all the difference. Everything in place when we arrive.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Freedom View Post
Travel trailers travel down the highway like any other vehicle..... Why don't they have stock absorbers as standard equipment? Wouldn't it give the rig a more stable ride? Does anyone out there know the answer?
All comes down to: The more you pay, the more you get. Check out some of the High End Models of TT's
Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #12

The cheapskates figure that since you don't travel in the TT, you aren't going to notice. Trouble is all the expensive electronics and screwed-together furniture can't complain - until it fails or falls apart
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

Does anyone know if there is a bolt on kit available for installing shocks on a travel trailer?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #14

X2 from above with Max