Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
You guys rock. Thanks so much for all your responses. I've been doing a LOT of researching and comparisons involving the TT market.

There's a lot of brands out there and most people are having great experiences with them but some are reporting major issues right off the lot, and I mean serious issues. Not small leaks and loose this and that. Like when you read "$85k lawn ornament" or "my mechanic was really surprised they were only screwed on by hand. That's a real safety issue" One can fill with shopper anxiety really quickly, especially when a lot of TTs pretty much look the same.

After weighing the pros and cons, the wife and I are going to shoot for a Winnebago Minnie. It's got an aluminum frame with solid fiberglass coating and our local dealership seems like real good people in case something severe happens out of the box. For it's size it does cost more than many of it's competitors (at least on the West coast) but we figure if your going to go, go with what you know and Winnebago has been building trailers for years. My wife learned that they actually made trailers before they made full RVs. Knowing that really pushed the pedal down for me. Plus they look really neat.

Really excited to take the plunge . Again, thanks to all of you for your feedback. It's been really helpful.

SimonB_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

Congrats in advance and now POST SOME PICTURES!!

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 AM   #17
First posting here and with my first TT. Went with the Winnebago Minnie due to quality, floorplan, and the better quality bed (compared to others of the same class). The color was just a spectacular plus -- matches my rig! Have had it a week now and used it last weekend. All my friends (we had a camping event with 84 people showing) loved it!
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #18
Lots of differences between Winnebago and a less expensive trailer. Winnebago uses real plywood in their floors, others use a foam/backerboard concoction. The foam will have soft flexible spots as you walk around, the solid ply will not. Also, the plywood is easily repairable should there ever be water damage. Winnebago uses closed cell foam in their walls along with the real fiberglass/gelcoat exterior. This is all sandwiched around an aluminum framework. The result is a wall that is solid, more soundproof than most, better insulation than most, will not show print-through of the aluminum structure, and is easily repairable should the exterior ever be damaged. The textured fiberglass strand stuff other builders use is not possible to make a repair completely blend in. The aluminum Winnebago uses in the framework is also the thickest in the industry. They use all real wood on the interiors. It is all solid. The bottoms of drawers for example are not made of backer board or paneling. It is real solid wood. The units are engineered from front to back, top to bottom. So nothing is just stuck in place. Every unit gets tested by Q/C when it leaves the production floor, not one out of every 10 or 12 units like most. The list goes on and on from the hardware, to the amenities to the appliances. For example, they all have exterior propane hookups for a grill. LED lights, etc etc etc.

The upside to all this is the unit is built to last, will be more comfortable, and should spend less time at the dealership getting fixed. Because let's face it, RV's love to rattle themselves into submission as they bonce down the road. Quality of construction and materials do matter in the long run. The downside of their build quality is that they do weigh more.

I was recently at the factory and have a bunch of pics of how they are built if anybody is interested in seeing anything in particular. I only went down the 5th wheel production line but the Minnies are built the same way.
Yachtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
Are the Winnie towables being built by SunnyBrook as they were gobbled up in 2010 it this. I have a 2011 SunnyBrook 5th wheel with one little Winnebago sticker on it.

I would buy the Winnie mini just for the cool colors. Glad to hear they are trying to build solid units.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One comment: the RV works is very limited in terms of suppliers. Only two companies make 3 way refrigerators, only two companies make A/C units, heaters, generators, the list goes on and on. The point being the difference as subtle. But workmanship and raw materials are the points of difference.

Just like the age old argument " Ford vs. Chevy"

For the record: I had a Cheapo Holiday Rambler.....moved up to a Winnebago ........moved up to a Newmar. The operative phrase hear is ... Moved up

Do your homework, take care of it, and have a good time. All will break, all will cost you unplanned money. But the good times and memories are priceless .
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #21
You will see the value when you start to look for replacement parts. There is only one place that can tell me what parts are used on my starcraft-that is the dealer. You can still look up drawings on the web for 30yr old winnebagos to identify replacement parts.
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
I want to welcome several of you to the thread who have never been here before.

We bought our Minnie in March of last year. We had 3 warranty items which were taken care of by our dealer and very quickly at that. All of these were from vendors external to Winnebago. None had to do with build quality which, in my opinion, is second to none. Our longest trip was to St. Augustine FL last year. No problems with the Minnie on any of our trips.

We looked at several trailers before settling on the Minnie. Even went to two big RV shows. Unfortunately the shows mostly had huge land barges which we were not interested in.

I really do like the smooth exterior over the rippled aluminum that you see on a lot of trailers. Cleaning and waxing the exterior is very easy on the Minnie. These trailers may cost a little more initially but I feel that you really get your monies worth.
Ken and Joyce
2017 RAM 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, Tekonsha P3
2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 2101DS
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
John & Linda Robinson

Jayco Owners Club
Now is a good time to look 2016s are coming out and the dealers I talked to were offering good discounts on the 2015s. I got my Micro Minnie about 5k under MSRP.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
National RV Owners Club
I'm trying to attach a file here: its for a 2010 Sunnybrook Harmony Sales Flyer-Lots of good stuff on what goes into your Minnie-check it out HarmonySalesManual2-5-09.pdf
Bill, Kathi and Zorro; '05 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS (SQEZINN)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 AM   #25
Will remember that this is the time to buy, for the rest of my life! The dealers ARE trying to dump the 2015's.....Where I live there are 4 different RV dealers within a 3 mile stretch of interstate, and at least 7 total (if not more) within a 25 mile radius. There are hundreds of new RV's sitting in the lots! I got mine for $8500 under MSRP.
Stan. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2l V6
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS
Fastway e2 hitch & Tekonsha Prodigy RF
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I'm trying to attach a file here: its for a 2010 Sunnybrook Harmony Sales Flyer-Lots of good stuff on what goes into your Minnie-check it out Attachment 97228
I emailed Winnebago after buying our trailer re the need to be better about describing the features/advantages of their trailers. If you look at websites for other manufacturers such as Jayco, they do a better job of describing the construction and advantages of their products.

The newer information on the web site is headed in the right direction, but I hope they will do even more. They should have a video or two available with footage on construction quality and features. And, there should be video tours of each model (see the RPod website). I'd love to have a chat with their marketing department. Although that's not my area of education/work, I know there are things they could do that involve minimal costs but would be great sales promotions for the company.

And, as I have said before, they should offer a true 4 seasons package for the Minnie line....insulated tanks, thermal pane windows, insulated water lines, etc. Why can't there be an alternative to the conventional 4 season trailers for those that don't necessarily want to camp in winter conditions, but want added protection for very cold spring/fall weather conditions?? You could add these features to my 2201DS, and still have a trailer that tows easily with a 1/2 ton truck.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
We have a 2012 Winnebago One 26RK. Best built travel trailer we have ever had, and we've had a bunch. It's a quality unit.
2012 Ford Super Duty 6.7 PowerStroke
2016 Jayco Eagle 31 RETS
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #28
Jayco Owners Club
Well, we have placed Winnebago at the top of our list. We're looking at the Winnebago Ultra Lites but face a dilemma. The unit we like (28DDBH) isn't available with 2 A/C units. It's 33' long and that's just too much to cool even with a 15K BTU unit... in Texas... when it's over 95 degrees... which it often IS!!! Anyone know if they do special orders? I guess I'll contact them, but no hurry... We're not trading until next year at this time... unless...................

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote