Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #29

The second ac requires 50amp service, so it would have to be an OEM option.
I know it's available in the 33BHSL which is a great floorplan for basically the same price. My dealer has one advertised for $30k here in GA.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #30

Jack, I think you have made a wise choice. As far as the AC goes, it is ducted and there is very good insulation in the trailer. Winnebago does a lot of planning when they introduce a new model. I believe that if they thought the trailer needed a second AC for Texas summers or Phoenix (108 yesterday) they would have designed one in.

You might talk to Joe Hale at Mc Clains in south Ft. Worth about your concerns (817-568-4099). I'll bet if they have one in stock on the hottest day they would plug it in and turn the AC on.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #31

Jayco Owners Club
Well, if their response time is indicative of customer service, then I'll be buying from Winnebago. I sent an email last night and got an answer this morning. They will not special order the trailer I want with 2 A/C s... bummer...... My current trailer is almost as big and we burned up in it in the summer. The 33BHSL is not configured the way I need it. I have 2 grown sons that go fly fishing with me and I really like the larger bunks for them... and for me when DW's elbows come into play on the queen bed... ... (she has hard, bony little fists, too...)

So, what to do...? On the one hand I am impressed by their responsiveness, but not so with their response. Do I take a chance on a single A/C unit to get the floor plan I need... or continue to look at other trailers? Luckily, I still have some time to contemplate.

Thanks for all the responses... Y'all are the BEST!!!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #32

Jack, I feel certain the reason they won't special order one with a second AC is because Winnebago probably doesn't offer that option. A second AC would have to be engineered into the design, support, ducting, wiring, etc. I'm sure it would not be economically feasable for just a few units.

We special ordered our Minnie so we could get the items we wanted. We wanted the Java interior color, the white exterior, and a ladder on the rear. They were happy to order the special items for us.

On service after the sale I couldn't be happier. We had a memory foam mattress that would not recover after sleeping on it once. Lost it's memory I guess. They promptly ordered a new one under warranty. It has been fine. We had a wheel that leaked air because there was a place in the casting that was porous. Warranty item handled. We had a faulty propane detector that was likewise handled under warranty.

I feel certain McClains will work with you on testing the AC of the trailer you might want. Good to test it in weather like we are having now even if you are not going to buy until next winter.

I see by your photo that you have a big RC glider. I fly giant scale gasoline powered RC airplanes. Went to Joe Nall last year.

Best of luck on what you decide.
Ken
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're in or will be in the same dilemma as the OP here. We are on our 2nd Aerolite hybrid tt (2013) but will upgrade in the next few years (1-4) to a higher build more 4 season tt. Want to definitely stay under 30' more in the 26' to 28' because we do 90% camping in state & national parks. The Aerolite's ( we had a 05' before our present one) I'm happy with the quality for the price paid. At the time they were higher price than most hybrids made. But, with retiring next year (June 2016) we do plan a Alasken trip with our Aerolite hybrid. But going forward I think we want something easier to set up, more 4 season capable and easier to boondock.

Two days ago while camping here near Cincinnati we stopped at two RV dealers to look at tt's. Personally I didn't see anything remotely exceptable. Have yet to look at Winnebago units. Wanted to see anything made by Northwoods, but since they are made in Oregon, very few dealers east of the Mississippi.

What else should I check out. Besides Airstream, which never appealed to me, Winnebago and who? Do Winnebago have rubber or fiberglass roofs? I did forget they had the true fiberglass walls which is a big plus.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #34

Our Winnebago One has a rubber roof. We have the extreme weather package, whatever that is. Great trailer, well built, quality components. No issues so far, this is our third season with the camper.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #35

Jayco Owners Club
Our other choice for looking at TTs is Grand Design. From all indications, they are VERY customer oriented, and their customer based website has very few complaints... mostly praises. However, they only have 2 floor plans right now, and neither are small. I have been told that there will be more floor plans later in the year. If they maintain the build quality their customers are currently enjoying, they'll give some of these other brands a real run for their money. I guess they will be getting our business if they come up with a floor plan I like... with 2 A/Cs. I have experienced that one summer, and regardless of what WInnebago says... it ain't happ'nin' again... It's a real bummer for us because we like the 28DDBH so much... :(

Ken, yes, I'm a glider nut... both RC and full-scale. I have 301 glider hours and my longest flight is 479 miles...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #36

I would be somewhat weary of a brand new design. No one wants to be the first to figure out bugs and design flaws. The reason Winnebago is so good is that they took over and excellent and long established company (Sunnybrook) which is why they hit the ground running so well.

As an alternative, there are products available now to supplement cooling. And I'm not talking about AC window units. Check out the Dyson bladeless cooling fan.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago