Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Yes, agreed, cylon. That's why I had to add in my next post that adding a bunch of modifications --assuming that those mods stay within the GVWR-- would greatly limit the CCC to a point where very little cargo could be added.

I think, as the suggestions of everyone to others in the same predicament, is to upgrade the tow I avehicle --the truck-- so a more substantial trailer can be purchased where all the amenities desired could be included without worrying excessively about weight.
Amanda-

I agree with what you said. I have to stand firmly on my last post. The OP has to make concessions of some sort to be able to fill her goals. Either it be less amenities or more dollars and/or weight.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Amanda-

I agree with what you said. I have to stand firmly on my last post. The OP has to make concessions of some sort to be able to fill her goals. Either it be less amenities or more dollars and/or weight.
No argument from us, John! We agree and are not disputing your stand.

After thinking about all the OP wants, all you've said makes sense and we retract what we said about making renovations. We initially thought that they could have made some of those changes with lightweight materials (e.g. not granite counter tops but some composite look-alike or reupholstering a couch with leather, etc. would not add much to the weight).

I think the OP will have to rethink the entire situation ...as you suggested.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #17

yes, agreed, have to let go of some of the extras

I am looking at the Minnie 2101 ds by Winnebago. Not the best build, but nice interiors and 5500GVWR so would work for us. The rockwood is too heavy as is at 6600GVWR. I will just have to make do with what I can find in my weight class.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #18

How about one like this?

Apex - Coachmen RV

< Heartland Lightweight Trailers | Heartland RVs
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #19

too heavy

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked and both are too heavy. I have a couple in mind in the right weight class (camplite 21rbs, Minnie 2101 ds, sunnybrook remington 2100ds). Just trying to find dealers with those models available to look at. I like outdoors rv, northwoods nash but too heavy. I looked at a LAnce but the big step up to the dinette was difficult for the spouse and he said the bed was really uncomfortable. I have looked at Heartland, KZ spree, Cruisers Fun finder, Keystone passport and premier, Jayco Jay feather, Idea (really like the look of this one but no slide offered), and some others. Right now narrowed down to the three I first mentioned. Most too heavy or I have read some disturbing things on forums from people that have bought them. Willing to take another look if anyone has a suggestion for something I have crossed off my list or haven't seen. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #20

Look at the outdoors rv line of trailers
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
You've heard the expression, "You can't have your cake and eat it to." To answer your initial question as to why you can't find what you're looking for is simple. That market is a very, very limited market and for the manufacturer they can't make the $$$ they want and fill your request. Yes it makes sense to take a decent couch and cover it in leather and that won't add much weight. In the Ultralight market they have cut back on weight and the quality has suffered. Light weight and quality maybe can go hand in hand but with today's TT industry they don't. They start with perhaps the heaviest single item, the frame and build it out of thin material and everything is down hill from there. One approach might be to find an older TT that is built on a heavier frame and start with that. Now we're back to my first statement about the CAKE. Quality does mean weight and weight means a better TV. A frame built out of aircraft aluminum or composite materials (kevlar) would be lighter but a lot of $$$$$.

I think you mentioned that your TV had a pick-up camper on it. Why not set that up for cooking and storage and have a smaller unit for sleeping, lavatory, shower. Don't duplicate the units but divide them to best serve your needs. A few years ago TT magazine did a feature article on a couple that set up their pick-up camper very well and it served all their needs and they were full timers I think. I was impressed at what all they did to that unit.

Let me add just one more thought. For the most part the TT industry builds units that after 2-3 years the majority of them will be sitting next to the garage getting very little camping time. They build cheap, make their $$$ and hope they don't get to many law suits from accidents. They are built on the edge of breaking. Read the forums that talk of cracked frames, blown tires, sagging springs, no shock absorbers and cheap wheel bearings and most of these are after the first few years of use.

Good luck on your search.

TeJay
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #22

What vehicle are you trying to tow this with??

5500lbs GVWR is never going to be possible with a slide and the heavy luxury features you want, and still being a real 4 seasons trailer. It's always a compromise between weight vs insulation and real solid construction materials(luxury items), as well as a good solid frame to hold all of it.

You have to keep in mind that GVWR is based on the type of axles the trailer has. In the case of the nash, it has 2 x 3500lbs axles which gives it a gvwr of 7000lbs. They have the beefier axles because they're designed for light off roading, but it's overkill for the cargo carrying capacity(GVWR - Dry weight). A trailer with smaller axles may only be able to hold 1000lbs of cargo vs a nash which will hold 2200lbs of cargo. So just because an ultralight trailer has 2 x 3000lbs axles(6000GVWR) vs a nash with 2 x 3500lbs axles doesn't mean it'll tow any differently than based on the GVWR. It's the wet and loaded weight that matters as far as towability.

So in essence, don't be scared off by the higher GVWR on northwood's trailers. Chances are you'll load either trailer up the same regardless of ratings(ignore the larger water holding tanks if you're snowbirding). So if the dry weights are close the the same, chances are it'll tow exactly the same.

P.S. Northwood has rugged frames that'll actually last. They are made of much thicker steel. You have to be careful of the ultra lights because most are made of stamped sheetmetal frames and if you're not careful, the frames will rust out in 15-20 years just like they do on cars that aren't taken care of.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #23

gggplaya, one quick question (OP, I won't follow up on this in this thread as I don't want to hijack your thread):

You say that Northwood frames are less susceptible to rusting out. One question if you can confirm. We looked at some Nash trailers last year at a dealership in Oregon. We noticed when we looked underneath that most of the Northwood trailers (not just the Nash) had a lot of surface rust on various places on the frame cross-members and attachment points, etc. When we asked the salesman about it, he told us it's nothing to worry about, that it's just surface rust and does not affect the integrity of the frame.

We tend to believe that as we have a brand new Dodge pickup which also has a lot of surface rust on the driveshaft, hangers, axle parts, wheel parts, etc. and everybody we have asked about it says it's nothing to worry about and only a cosmetic detraction.

So, do you buy the explanation that the rust we see underneath on a brand new Nash trailer is nothing to be concerned about? It's just not attractive to see that much rust on a brand new trailer.

Thanks.

~mandy
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsmills View Post
I have a Tundra that tows 7300lbs max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
What vehicle are you trying to tow this with??

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #25

Not to sure what you are towing with.

But maybe check out the holiday rambler aluma-lite ultra edition. We just bought the 187qb and have been very happy with it.

Also there is a company called prolite that build a very nice lite weight tralier.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #26

we have chosen a Winnebago Minnie 2101ds

The tow weight is good for me. The cherry red color is awesome. The frame looks to be well built. The furniture is leather and very plush. It has a good amount of storage for a small TT. It has a heated and enclosed underbelly and we have a Honda e2000i generator. It has ducked air and heat. It has black tank flush. So it doesn't have slam latch luggage doors, solid surface counters or the upgraded faucet in bath, I can live with that. Winnebago is a good model and the company should be around for years.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #27

Congratulations ...and welcome to the Winnebago family of owners. We really like our Winnebago DP and have had very good factory support through the years. Hopefully, they give the same kind of support to the owners of their towables.

When are you taking delivery?

Be sure to post your reactions and opinions once you get it. And remember, you can upgrade those faucets once you take delivery. That won't add much weight. You can also add a small solar panel that won't weight too much. Or add an electric awning if it doesn't have one. Or an electric tongue jack, etc. ...things that won't add a lot of weight.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
gggplaya, one quick question (OP, I won't follow up on this in this thread as I don't want to hijack your thread):

You say that Northwood frames are less susceptible to rusting out. One question if you can confirm. We looked at some Nash trailers last year at a dealership in Oregon. We noticed when we looked underneath that most of the Northwood trailers (not just the Nash) had a lot of surface rust on various places on the frame cross-members and attachment points, etc. When we asked the salesman about it, he told us it's nothing to worry about, that it's just surface rust and does not affect the integrity of the frame.

We tend to believe that as we have a brand new Dodge pickup which also has a lot of surface rust on the driveshaft, hangers, axle parts, wheel parts, etc. and everybody we have asked about it says it's nothing to worry about and only a cosmetic detraction.

So, do you buy the explanation that the rust we see underneath on a brand new Nash trailer is nothing to be concerned about? It's just not attractive to see that much rust on a brand new trailer.

Thanks.

~mandy
You will get surface rust on anything made of steel. But based on the type of steel, possible alloying(other metals in steel) and very importantly the thickness, it won't rust through for a much longer time. If possible, always clean off and spray over rust if you can. Depriving bare metal of oxygen and H2O will prevent further rusting. Trucks will have some surface rust in spots but generally the steel is very thick and won't rust through for a long time. Surface rust will form and act as an insulator further deprive the underlying steel of oxygen and moisture.

My problem with stamped sheet metal frames are mainly the thickness of the metal, and they'll rust from both sides unlike box steel. To compound the problem, they have holes in the frame in various places to help lighten the structure even more. I call these extra holes, extra points of failure. At the holes, rust can form on each side of the metal, as well as inside the surfaces of the hole, which gives rust 3 levels of attack and will further open up the hole. This is what a lightweight frame looks like: BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Just imagine the area with the large rectangular cutout holes. See how close the holes are to each other? Now imagine rust forming in that area and corroding over the course of 20 years. A trailer that gets alot of use, maybe used for boondocking and parked in the dirt alot will rust out sooner because of the inherent design of the frame IMO.

I certainly don't have any evidence to back this up. Probably due to the fact that travel trailers up until recently were all of very poor design (with the exception of fiberglass scamp and casita trailers, or airstream style trailers). They were prone to rotting out before the frames had a chance to go bad. These automotive style frames are still relatively new only being introduced in the 90's, and finally gaining alot of traction in the last 10 years.

Tags
slide