Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Unfortunately, some will hear your story and say, "What's the problem, you made it with no issues?" Often I see folks saying, "I traveled for XXX miles and never had a problem." as if that makes it SAFE to overload, travel without brakes on a Toad, etc. It only takes once.
I read that all the time and it just kills me... They'll have all sorts of justifications why it's okay.

And I have read some say that in an emergency, they won't have a problem if overloaded because their TT has brakes. But knowing that TTs tend to have all kinds of various problems, why would anyone rely on their TT brakes working properly and at full effectiveness in an emergency? Do they regularly get their brakes serviced and adjusted?

I'm a professional engineer (not mechanical tho) and if the TV manufacturer says not to exceed GVWR or the axle ratings, there's no way in heck I ever will. Doesn't matter if it's a truck or a beam in a building, if the manufacturer says not to exceed a load rating, you just shouldn't do it. The rating is there for a reason - to protect you, the public.

The sad thing is that unless an RV-er goes onto forums like this, you'll never learn what you need to know about weight capacities and limits. It's sure not coming from RV dealers or manufacturers or TV manufacturers.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #58

Thanks for info. I was being a bit sarcastic, sorry, but will use info given. Again thanks.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #59

I feel your frustration. There were certain features I was looking for in my new RV that I would walk out if it didn't have (mainly a real bathroom) and 99% of trailers had at least 1 dealbreaker or missing must have.

I'm guessing the trailer you want isn't made for a logical but annoying reason: not enough demand. Most people in the market for a luxury RV can afford a 30+ footer and will buy one. Manufacturers will choose not to make something either because of lack of demand, or they're just not interested in making it.

It's the same reason you cannot buy a car with leather seats, manual windows, manual trans. and an economical engine.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323 View Post
It's the same reason you cannot buy a car with leather seats, manual windows, manual trans. and an economical engine.
Sure you can, look for a mid '50's to mid '60's Mercedes 180 or 190.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sure you can, look for a mid '50's to mid '60's Mercedes 180 or 190.
Haha, yep, I actually used to have a 1964 190Db. The problem with Mercedes Benz through is that they make fantastic Diesel engines...... everything else falls apart!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #62

Too much weight. Cheap stuff weighs less
Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #63

To make high quailty requires a much heavier frame to start with, then add heavier axles, thicker flooring, thicker roofing, more insulation, more screws and bolts etc. It only makes sense.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #64

iRV2 No Limits Club
I will strongly disagree with tuffr2! I can not tell you how many times I have said on the T&TTT forum to those building their own teardrop trailer. "you are building an airplane not a tank". Our teardrop has an all aluminum frame 1.5 X 1 x .060 and the main frame is 2 X 4 X .25 and is a stress skin construction. If you look at the Australian Bushtracker :: Real caravans for the outback you will find a trailer built for very serous off road use that used a similar construction built to ford streams (water proof and floats). So yes it can and is done and actually Forest River uses a composite flooring originally used on aircraft and an aluminum frame though not the chassis. The Bushtracker should you want to spend in excess of $100,000 is also available.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #65

trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsmills View Post
After many months of research online, rv forums, purchased TT guide review and other methods of investigating TT for sale out there I have come to the conclusion that no one builds what I am looking for with the features I want. This is very disappointing. There are so many brands and models out there you would think that there is nothing new under the sun being built. There are features I need and features I want. I need a small (20-22 feet) well built (not industry standard, disabled hubby can't do repairs) with a slide (will be snowbirding so need the room), ultralite weight (no more than 5500-5900 GVWR), shower (can't be tub/shower combo because my disabled hubby can't lift his feet to get in the tub), power with manual override (awning, stabilizer jacks, tongue jack), heated enclosed underbelly, black tank flush, TT.

I want solid surface counters, leather furniture, frameless tinted windows, slam latch luggage doors, flush dinette slide out, upgraded faucets in kitchen and bath, couch/murphy bed combo with just enough counter space to fit my coffee pot.

It doesn't exist. If I could only talk Livin Lite and Outdoors rv into makeing me a custom TT!

Since that isn't going to happen, does anyone out there have any suggestions for getting as close as I can to my ideal?
Look at Oliver Travel Trailers they are building a 22ft with coach features no slide outs. You should look at a HR Alumscape 25ft with a slide.
Chuck
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsmills View Post
After many months of research online, rv forums, purchased TT guide review and other methods of investigating TT for sale out there I have come to the conclusion that no one builds what I am looking for with the features I want. This is very disappointing. There are so many brands and models out there you would think that there is nothing new under the sun being built. There are features I need and features I want. I need a small (20-22 feet) well built (not industry standard, disabled hubby can't do repairs) with a slide (will be snowbirding so need the room), ultralite weight (no more than 5500-5900 GVWR), shower (can't be tub/shower combo because my disabled hubby can't lift his feet to get in the tub), power with manual override (awning, stabilizer jacks, tongue jack), heated enclosed underbelly, black tank flush, TT.

I want solid surface counters, leather furniture, frameless tinted windows, slam latch luggage doors, flush dinette slide out, upgraded faucets in kitchen and bath, couch/murphy bed combo with just enough counter space to fit my coffee pot.

It doesn't exist. If I could only talk Livin Lite and Outdoors rv into makeing me a custom TT!

Since that isn't going to happen, does anyone out there have any suggestions for getting as close as I can to my ideal?
Hi brandsmills,
FYI, on Monday, 12/9/2013 I called the Travel Lite folks about their CobbleStone TT. I was told that they will announce a 24ft CobbleStone model w/ slide-out sometime in the next few weeks. The Cobblestone model looks awesome and has the luxury, high-end furnishings and other features Iím looking for. I believe the RV TT manufactures are missing out on $$ from consumers who want a smaller, high-end TT with everything needed to travel and camp safely in luxury style. Iíll get the tow vehicle to handle the TT I desire since weight seems to be one of the major dilemmas for high-end, light-weight smaller TTís.
Cheers,
C3po
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #67

That is the Only reason I bought my 2014 Laredo 240mk is for the residential 55" walk in shower in a regular sized small bathroom with porcilin (sp) toilet. It works perfect for me and my bad hip. My previous high end 38' Class A had such a small bath I could barely get in bathroom itself. So I sold it.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #68

Kodiac 242RESL

Take a look at Dutchmen's Kodiak liine. The 242RESL has worked very well for us.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #69

Have you considered an Evergreen Element? Light weight, great features and has many of the items you're looking for too. Currently out of production but some dealers still have new ones in stock at excellent prices.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Take a look at Dutchmen's Kodiak liine. The 242RESL has worked very well for us.
our 2014 kodiak Dutchmen has lots of things that need fixed already like a bad leak and the molding under the slide is tearing up. How is your camper holding up?

Tags
slide