Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #71

I'm glad they come out with the Ultra (Super) lites. I have everything I need in just a little 19' TT. I'm living it in FT and I can honestly say I don't anything more than what I got.

Not to stay I wouldn't mind having a Class C, but until I feel like popping $60 to $90k, what I have will do me great.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #72

We've had very good luck with our Aerolite. Small and lightweight with large slide. I think they've changed up a few things since 2012 but the large slide in such a small TT makes all the difference in the world. Especially with 2 80 lb. dogs. We spent almost 2 years searching. At the time we had tow limitations and only one dog. Looking to go a bit larger with new truck and extra dog.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
our 2014 kodiak Dutchmen has lots of things that need fixed already like a bad leak and the molding under the slide is tearing up. How is your camper holding up?
Picked up the Kodiak 2013-242RESL July 2012. United RV in Ft.Worth did leak tests etc and prepped it for us (BTW United RV is fantastic, they even matched a price I got from Holman in Ohio).

Anyway, we had the unit for the remainder of the 2012 season and at the end I took it back with a short warranty list that included some minor fiber de-lam on the outer wall near where the bumper grill goes. The other major thing I didn't care for was the sloppy sealing done on the rubber roof (it wasn't leaking, just looked sloppy). Lastly, I stupidly put way too heavy of items in the slide out dinette storage drawer. While slide-outing, it didn't quite clear and tore a small tear in the vinyl floor.

UnitedRV worked with Kodiak and they took the unit back to the factory where they replaced the entire outer wall, re-applied a new roof (perfectly I might ad) and installed a brand new vinyl floor (perfect no bubbles). I was very happy with the repairs. By the time I was ready to go out for the 2013 spring, everything was completed and they delivered me back a cleaned and polished looked like new TT.

For the 2013 season, we've had zero issues. The last trip we did was Oct.2013 and we had a Saturday where it poured down rain non-stop for almost 20 hours. No leaks and we were dry and warm. I'm looking forward to 2014.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #74

Well, we really like our Kodiak for the most part. It's disheartening to get a new anything and find so many problems. The slide roof leaked and soaked the dinette cushions on our third trip. That's a biggy. The under side of the big slide on the edges is tearing up. Those are the big issues.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #75

My friend who has been RVing for decades, and worked at a few different dealerships told me today, "They are all poorly built, it is just that some are less poorly built than others".
We were discussing the better quality brands to look at.
I laughed, but looking at some of the posts here...Well he may not be far off......Although it seems if you can get through the first couple of years, of build problem, and get them corrected, the long term does pretty well.
He really likes Livin Lite, and I have to say, if I go TT, it would be high on my list. I like their 5th wheel pretty well too.
All aluminum, means no wood rot to worry about
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #76

Jayco Owners Club
I've just read the last 2 pages of this thread and in my research, I've found I like 2 brands mentioned here. I like the Camp Lite, all aluminum trailers, by Livin' Lite, except that they are only 7' wide. Looking at their website, they are as well built as anything else out there and better than most. Every manufacturer uses about the same appliances, etc, so the build quality and appointments is where one should compare.

The Evergreen Element really caught my eye because I believe our poor mileage comes more from pushing so much air, than from weight. This is as much from the squared off backs as from the rake of the front. The larger model with opposing slides has me interested because it makes the living area so much more usable. They are in production again, according to a regional sales manager that contacted me by email today. They are pricey... but they are nicely appointed.

I'm not sure I would let some of the things listed by the OP stop me from getting into one of these. The fun's out there, waiting... I will retire in about 3 more years, and I intend to start working at an RV dealership when I do... part time, of course, because I won't really need the money... I had no idea when I got into this that I would like it so much...

I just looked at Lance online, too... There's a dealer not far from me, so I'll look at them as well. Lance has been building truck campers for a long time. Seems like they should know how to make a pretty good travel trailer. So far, I've liked what I've seen.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #77

Lance trailers are well made. I like their 2385 model.

Their factory is out here, not too far form me. They have videos online so you can watch them building some.

As far as style Lance is better than most, but not quite an Airstream. Still the Lance are nice to look at and be in.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #78

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I too am looking for a small unit to pull behind a Class A DP and my SUV (not necessary but would be nice)

We want a separate area that our 14 year old can use to get away and sleep in aside from the MH. We need it to be well insulated for Virginia though on really cold nights he can come in to the DP.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I too am looking for a small unit to pull behind a Class A DP and my SUV (not necessary but would be nice)

We want a separate area that our 14 year old can use to get away and sleep in aside from the MH. We need it to be well insulated for Virginia though on really cold nights he can come in to the DP.
That would be a T@B; perfect for a teenager.

Then, when he gets his driver's license, he can pull it with even a small car.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

According to the Trailer Life summary of towing laws, Virginia does not allow what they call "triple towing", which is a tow vehicle pulling two other vehicles. Maryland allows it, but max combined length is only 55'. So you can legally tow a small TT behind the motorhome, but not both an SUV and a small TT.

If your goal is just a bed and privacy for the kid, then consider a tent of some sort hauled in the SUV. There are some pretty fancy tents available that would meet most needs. Add a camping cot and a good sleeping bag and that should do it. Here's a basic 4-seasons smaller tent from Cabella's:
Cabela's XPG Expedition 4-Season Tent — 2-Person : Cabela's

Or leave the toad at home and pull just a TT. There are numerous tiny teardrop and raindrop TTs available, that you wouldn't even know were behind the MH. For example:
Camp Inn Model 500 Teardrop Options

The basic Tiny Camper 500 is an almost empty box with no options. AC, furnace, and other options are available. Throw in your choice of mattress and you're golden if a bedroom is your only need. Move up to the model 550 and you get a kitchenette with sink and cooktop with plumbing for water. Plus there are several option packages that you can add to give you any or all the amenities of a tiny but fully functional TT.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
According to the Trailer Life summary of towing laws, Virginia does not allow what they call "triple towing", which is a tow vehicle pulling two other vehicles.
OOOpps, I mean a TT that the SUV could tow also, not the MH tow them both, SORRY!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OOOpps, I mean a TT that the SUV could tow also, not the MH tow them both, SORRY!
The typical full-size half-ton SUV can pull a TT that weighs around 7,000 pounds, but it will be overloaded over the GVWR of the SUV if there is anything in the SUV other than a skinny driver. A normally-loaded SUV will be overloaded with a small TT that weighs around 5,000 pounds.

My TT would be almost perfect for a private "dog house" for the teenager. It is self-contained for boondocking, with bed, dinette, kitchenette, sink, shower, toilet, and a decent-size closet (wardrobe). It has AC, furnace and a gas range. Skyline Joey 196. Identical Joeys are sold under various brand names, including Aljo, Nomad, and Layton. Here's a link to mine:
http://www.skylinerv.com/products/floorplans/196.gif

GVWR 5,600
Wet and loaded weight on a 4,200 mile trip last year: 4,870
Wet and loaded tongue weight was 650 pounds

GVWR of my F-150 is 7,100 pounds. Wet and loaded GVW (including hfitch weight) on that trip towing the Joey was 7,200 pounds, or 100 pounds over the GVWR of my F-150.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #83

Gulf Streamers Club
Why not make your toad a Westfala camper van? That way you've got a grocery getter and tourmobile and place for the kid to call his own. I'm in New Zealand right now and the number of camper vans outnumbers the cars almost! Mercedes, VW, Toyota, all have nice looking Class C or smaller. The smallest models are Fords, most all are diesels. Of course the steering and entry doors are on the right side, wrong for U.S.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #84

I love my car

Tags
slide