Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Why I fix everything myself

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_105041.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	192320
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, based on demand it might be appropriate.

I fix everything I can myself as well. Now I can tell the "boss", I just saved 400 dollars....lol.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Thats mental.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

Secondary observation: shows how much they consider GS membership! $10/hr? 7% off?
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #5

What really gets me is the lack of urgency or capacity (at that labor rate) to get the work I need done. Seems like the industry is on a growth spurt and this capacity (ie, driven by qty of service bays or qualified techs, etc) is going to be a problem for at least the foreseeable future.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it will be a problem as it is in almost every other service industry that needs hard working, qualified, somewhat well trained problem solving technicians.

Most parents still believe that going to college is the only answer for their spoiled darlings???? WHY???? They have been brain washer by the media, teachers and HS counselors to believe that a college degree will guarantee their kids a high paying JOB!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #7

Another shade tree tech here. 11 seasons. At least 125 nights on the road each year so plenty of needs for repair of one thing or another. Came from boating world of larger than trailer boats where I also did most all of my service work. RVs are so much simpler than boats & easier to work on. Still have the boater mentality of carrying plenty of most likely needed spares & the tools needed to change out parts myself.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #8

Why I fix everything myself

I whole heartedly agree with TeJay. Regarding college degrees, I attended a meeting on education recently (I am an engineer in the A/E/C - Architect/Engineer/Construction industry) and was floored by what I heard from the talking heads. Yes, salaries for college grads is higher but not appreciably higher than well experienced techs/trades that are in demand. Parents are pushing their kids into college no matter what even if it is into low paying, low demand liberal arts programs to avoid the stigma of being not college-educated. My neice attended Vanderbilt at $60k/yr tuition not including expenses and room and board to learn Early Childhood Development! To date she has not gotten a job in her field and worked as a part time museum curator and an administrator. What a shame. (Hope she never reads or hears of this post). Anyway, the talking heads say the actual ratio of entry level job demands in this country is 20% college grads and nearly all of that is in STEM, 20% high school grads (no post-secondary education-retail/burger flippers), and 60% technical/secondary education/trade schooling! BY FAR the biggest demand is in the tech trades and yet kids are being steered away from that and into 4-yr college. Eye opening. Now I understand why there are acute shortages in the tech trades in my industry and throughout the US.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep!
We attended two years of electronics school after HS but were self taught otherwise and worked in IT for 30 years. Made lots of money, and spent it too, so don't ask to borrow any.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Another shade tree tech here. 11 seasons. At least 125 nights on the road each year so plenty of needs for repair of one thing or another. Came from boating world of larger than trailer boats where I also did most all of my service work. RVs are so much simpler than boats & easier to work on. Still have the boater mentality of carrying plenty of most likely needed spares & the tools needed to change out parts myself.
I do the boat thing too. I'd get an additional 1 MPG in the RV or 2 kts more on the boat, if I would leave all the spares and tools at home

For me, the reason to do as much of my own work as absolutely possible is not about the cost, but about the quality of the work (and also not being stranded somewhere)! I have no problem paying for a prompt professional job. I am infuriated by shoddy work that takes weeks.

With regard to our ancillary topic of schooling: My children read the writing on the wall. They've got friends and family with big educations and menial jobs.

My oldest opted to attend a Maritime Academy because of the demand, pay, and placement (and, of course his love of the sea). My youngest son has his sights set on diesel tech. They want to work, not study then walk the streets with a diploma in their hands begging for a job. My daughters are watching closely, as traditional college is an option for any of them that want it.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

I wonder how much of that is passed on to the employees who actually turn the wrenches?

What company was it anyway? Because without know who it is, it's just someone with a computer and a printer!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #12

As an aircraft mechanic that makes a pretty solid wage I'd love to know what our "shop rate" is. I'm betting it's north of $300/hr... Glad I don't have a plane...

Yes, I certainly do all my own mods and repairs, have never seen the service bay in 9 yrs of RVing.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am utterly incompetent when it comes to electrical. I am really colorblind as well. So I can't tell one wire from the other sometimes. Otherwise I do most all my own repair work.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #14

Every toy I've owned whether it be trailers, boats, motorcycles, Jet skis or a fifth wheel has needed repairs and maintenance at one point. My theory has always been "If I can't fix it then I shouldn't own it." I'm glad people have sufficient funds to pay people to fix things. For me the time and energy it takes to hook up, tow it in, arrange for a ride home, then do the same on the back end isn't worth it. Much easier for me is to dive in and fix it. For $145 an hour a guy could make some mistakes and buy some unneeded parts.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote