Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Why no Airstream forum?

I was just curious, as there are forums here for just about every other individual brand of trailer. Why not Airstream?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We had an Airstream forum, but it had very little use, so we now have a link to our sister forum, AirForums which is the largest Airstream forum and is very active.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm does that say something about a quality built trailer?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Well, I actually found THIS forum when I was looking for an alternative to the Airstream Forum. I don't fit in very well there, where people refer to every OTHER trailer as a SOB ( Same Old Box or Square Old BoX) and seem to have a bit of an attitude. Spending more money for a trailer than your neighbor spent for a trailer does not make one some better kind of person, and quite frankly, the Airstream Quality thing has been a little bit of a disappointment. They're expensive because they're made out of aluminum. Not because they're built better.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
Well, I actually found THIS forum when I was looking for an alternative to the Airstream Forum. I don't fit in very well there, where people refer to every OTHER trailer as a SOB ( Same Old Box or Square Old BoX) and seem to have a bit of an attitude. Spending more money for a trailer than your neighbor spent for a trailer does not make one some better kind of person, and quite frankly, the Airstream Quality thing has been a little bit of a disappointment. They're expensive because they're made out of aluminum. Not because they're built better.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
They're expensive because they're made out of aluminum. Not because they're built better.
You hit the nail on the head. An Air Stream owner does not like to hear that their trailer is not well built. The older A/S were better built than the current ones. We had a 1979 Silver Streak and a 1989 Avion, both of which were built better than an A/S. A/S has survived where the other aluminum trailer have gone under because of marketing.

Ken
Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

Don't get me wrong. We've now spent about a month total in the trailer in two trips. We love it. But we don't consider it some kind of superior trailer to a lot of the other RVs we see. I grew up in a family that loved to camp. My father has owned a number of trailers. He also has an older Airstream sitting on a lake lot in Texas as a semi-permanent installation. I owned a Fleetwood Class C (Jamboree 26') for years. I've been into the systems of a number of RVs, and we also own an older cruising catamaran. We have to leave our trailer outside over the winter in norther Colorado. We liked the shape of the Airstream roof thinking it would lend itself better to handling snow loads and we liked the shiny interior of the model we got. All aluminum. We didn't realize there was a cult involved. I can think of a number of other RVs we'd like as much or more.

Personally, I like the idea of a rugged slide in on a really nice 4x4 setup, or a really small, rugged trailer I could pull up the side of a rutted mountain road with a jeep.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
They are just jealous that you are able to list ISLANDS as your home site

My parents had an airstream and it was 'ok' -
too small for us so when they wanted to give it to us I told them to sell it
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The only reason to get an Airstream is to sell it for a profit

What do you mean 'they' are jealous? I'M jealous too!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Well, living in a small tropical island nation full time is totally different than a week at Club Med, Beaches, or Sandals. Its not a Corona commercial.

Check out our forecast for later this week. Torrential rains Wednesday, and by friday, 16 ft. seas and 50 mph winds. Should be some good blog photos! We get dramatic seas crashing on rocks stuff during the storms. There is bound to be some boat damage here somewhere.

Still, it has it's moments. We spent last weekend on Middle Caicos. 48 square miles with less than 300 population. It makes this place seem like the big city.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #11

My Dad purchased an Airstream in 2003 from Lubbock, TX; he had always wanted one. He is one that appreciates better built things; however, he was very disappointed. The finishes are no better than any other camper. Screws are placed in sideways and not countered correctly and the wall paper fell off the bathroom wall. Don't get me wrong, it'a nice camper but no slides at 32 feet for $68,000...mmm I think not.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
The only reason to get an Airstream is to sell it for a profit
Hahahahaha! Especially the Victorinox Edition! Absolutely no storage & a wet bath!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #13

i wouldn't say that's the only reason. We bought ours because we really liked the interior. It's all shiny aluminium. I have a good time playing with a laser at night ha ha. Amazing inside the curved surfaces. almost makes me wish I had a cat to aggravate.

And in our case, we leave the trailer outside in northern colorado all year long. And we live thousands of miles and two countries away. So I liked the idea that snow buildup would just slide off to the sides. Most of the problems I had when I lived in New England with the Jamboree Class C were roof leakage problems. It would be pretty bad to come back in August and find out that the trailer had been leaking for six months or a year before I found out about it. Buying this airstream pretty much headed that one off at the pass. As far as selling at a profit, the only way I could think of to do that would be to buy an old one and refurb it. try THAT with a standard fiberglass camper.

But do we feel like buying an airstream somehow enhanced our social status?

Ha ha ha ha ha. From buying a camping trailer??? nah.
We feel more special in our 26 year old catamaran, of which only 27 were ever made.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #14

hey, I just thought of a new acronym for the kind of people who think that buying an airstream somehow means they're suddenly connected to the royal family....

A.S.S. for AirStream Snobs.....

I thought y'all would appreciate that one.

Tags
airstream, forum