Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
RPr

No room for wider tires in my wheel wells.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
If such an option is offered by the pod manufacturer maybe some owners with the option will chime-in and verify just what the option provides in tire sizes and designes.
If you go to the Forestriver site and look at features it shows this in the construction features section

235/75/R15 Off Road Tires (Hood River Edition only)
No one makes a 235/75/15 ST tire let alone an off road ST tire.

OEM tires is a 205/75/14 which very well could be an ST.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Hi all I've been away for a while. I have wide tires on the pod, but was wondering in general. My brother has a 5er and looking at his tires, they seem real skinny. Was just thinking that if they were just a little wider, maybe the trailer would be a bit more stable in wind. I know that a wider tire would have more rolling resistance, but would that resistance be that much greater and use that much more fuel?

Thanks for the responses. Love learning from so many.
Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Is your brother having problems towing in the wind? Most 5th wheels tow way better than TT's. Sway is almost never an issue. If your brother is having sway issues then I would have the whole setup weighed to see that his pin has the proper %. If he has too much weight at the rear of the 5th wheel then that could constitute some sway. If he's right at the limit on his tires then maybe that's contributing to his wind problems.
I have a 5th wheel as well and have towed in some strong side winds and had no sway issues. I was more afraid of it being blown over on it's side.
I don't think even going from a d rated tire to an e rated tire will change much.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If you go to the Forestriver site and look at features it shows this in the construction features section

235/75/R15 Off Road Tires (Hood River Edition only)
No one makes a 235/75/15 ST tire let alone an off road ST tire.

OEM tires is a 205/75/14 which very well could be an ST.
Let me start out like this: Because a manufacturer offers an option for model “X” that same option is not authorized for model “XX” unless the manufacturer approves it for the not yet recommended model “XX”.

Like most RV trailer manufacturer’s, FR likes to use a single tire size for all models in a production line-up. They have done just that with the R-pod. So, the heavier models have tires that just barely meet the minimum requirements and replacements should be a load range higher than the Original Equipment tires. (My recommendation).

The 235/75R15 tire option for west coast designed R-pods leaves the door open for Passenger or Light Truck tire usage. Both, depending on load capacity will qualify. Here are a couple of options I found at the tire rack.

This first one is an XL designed passenger tire. As such it’s sidewall maximum load capacity must be derated from 2271# to 2064# for trailer axle service.

HankookÂ*Dynapro AT-M

This second one is LT designed in load range “C”. It has a maximum load capacity of 1985#.

FirestoneÂ*Destination A/T

The load capacity needed for replacements of the OE tires is 1760# or greater.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
RPr

The first question to ask is do you have a problem?

There are numerous things that can be added to a TT, shocks, disc brakes, to name two, a gonzo TV for a third.

Handy items no doubt but most get along alright without them.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires