Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Will this mattress fit?

We are looking to replace the medieval torture devise that came with our camper sometimes called a Queen mattress. The space we have for it is 59" X 78". I looked at Sam's Club and they have a few decent looking ones but their measurements are technically too big at 60" X 79.5". We have a wall at either end of the mattress providing the limitations.

So my question is should or could we squish this larger mattress into the space without causing issues with the center mounted wall at the foot of the bed? (think constant pressure on it) Can you still access underbed storage with a conventional mattress in place? Has anyone done this with measurements this tight?

I'm 6'2" if that matters.

Thank you,

Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

I think not if the new mattress actually measures out as advertised. If it's a bit smaller, then maybe. Also think what a PITA I will be to get a fitted sheet on a mattress that is squished into a space.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0097X6730

We bought this mattress on Amazon last year and like it a lot. It's a camper Queen "short" at 60 x 75 inches. It's very comfortable and we've since moved it from our old trailer to our be MH. Two things you might want to consider.

I'm 5' 9" and this mattress is just barely long enough for me. But we had a similar bed setup and the wall at the foot of the bed limited how long the mattress could be. This one turned out to be slightly longer than the old one so it made it a bit tight to open the bed for the underneath storage, but I'd did work.

The other thing is this mattress is significantly heavier than the original making it harder to lift the bed to get to the storage. It really needs heavier duty gas lifters.

But the sleeping makes all the difference. The original mattress should have been banned by the Geneca convention
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy a memory foam mattress from Sam's (I have 2 of these 8" Night Therapy Total Comfort Premium Memory Foam Mattress - Queen - Sam's Club ) in the queen size 60 x 80. If it is too tight you can remove the cloth cover, trim the mattress with an electric carving knife and do whatever you wish with the cover restitch or just put it back on.

I really doubt the width at 60 would be any problem, length adjustment easy stuff.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

mattress

have one made

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #6

Buy a Tempur Pedic and cut it to size. Normal size sheets will fit no problem. This is the most comfortable mattress on the market. There is nothing better than a good nights sleep on the road, other than spending time with the DW.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

We ended up buying this one:

Amazon.com - Sleep Master 8" Memory Foam RV Mattress, Short Queen -

Sleep Master Memory Foam 8" short queen. My wife and I slept on it for a week camping in the cold. Love this mattress. Just sad we waited so long to remove the evil torture devise that the factory calls a mattress.

Thank you for all of the great info.

Joe