Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #1

I've got an '87 Lynx TT. My problem is one of the window cranks will crank outwards, but not all the way back in, the last 1/2" it will not shut the window completely. The crank mechanism skips, (not the handle portion, thats tight)like the gearset is worn. How the heck do you remove it. There's 2 phillips screws on the idler end, and 3 screws that go through the mechanism in the window frame. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this crank refuses to budge more than 1/8th of an inch. Any solutions other than the BIG hammer, Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #2

I've got an '87 Lynx TT. My problem is one of the window cranks will crank outwards, but not all the way back in, the last 1/2" it will not shut the window completely. The crank mechanism skips, (not the handle portion, thats tight)like the gearset is worn. How the heck do you remove it. There's 2 phillips screws on the idler end, and 3 screws that go through the mechanism in the window frame. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this crank refuses to budge more than 1/8th of an inch. Any solutions other than the BIG hammer, Thanks.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #3

The crank mechanism may be bad. there are seveal types,check this site for parts. All-rite RV Parts

Eastern Kansas
Steve & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #4

No doubt it's bad, found the crank replacement under Hehr products, now to get the old one out. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Erich,
I am having the same problem with two of my windows. I am stuck in the same spot you are getting the dog gone crank out. I thought of the hammer too, but seemed like the crank would come out with a broken window frame. Did you ever get yours figured out? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

No, Not yet, matter of fact, I've more or less given up, I know this isn't going to sound right, but...the wife cranks(it shut) while I'm pushing it in(the window), once the window is flush, it pretty much stays there. I really think the only way to replace the crank mechanism is to remove the whole window and frame, and, right about now ambition hasn't pushed hard enough.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #7

Pushing that window shut works until a sudden pressure differential causes it to pop open. Then the wind will flap it until the brackets break. Been there-done that! A really great RV service center manufactured a replacement window as I waited. (Des Moines, IA)

Hopefully I'll remember the procedure I used to replace a gearbox. I think I first ground the head off the rivets holding the window bracket to the arm on the bottom shaft. Then I removed the screws holding the shaft and gearbox in place; it then came out easily.
When I replaced everything, I bought some small bolts from a hardware store to replace the rivets. I used lock-tite on the threads to hold the nut in place. The nut cannot be tight on the bolt and still allow the brackets to pivot as designed.
Don't accept this as gospel, I replaced that gearbox about 20 years ago, and my memory is 20 years older.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Pretty Much what Ray Said...

I had this issue on a trailer of long ago... the crank gear box was riveted to the frame, so this had to be drilled out ... new box installed... careful not to lose the "C" clips.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

No, there's no rivets on mine, one end has a simple "dummy" pivot that the rotating tube goes into, there's a slot in the tube and then the bracket that attaches to the "dead" side of the window glass frame(non crank end). The crank end has 3 screws that hold the crank mechanism to the window frame, no rivets. The rotating tube also has a slot in this end that engages a dog drive and then onto the bracket that rotates outward with the glass frame. I've taken the screws out of both ends, nothing, but I mean nothing gives or moves the slightest to indicate how to get it out. Maybe this weekend coming I'll give it another try and take some pictures to mull over.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #10

Erich, what is the window manufacturer? Hehr perhaps- here is the Hehr service manual.
BTW, I stand corrected. Gearbox is not the proper terminology, the true name is "operator".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #11

Ray, thanks a million or a couple of gallons of gas It's a Hehr "operator" and I found a replacement, now to follow instructions and get it fixed. Maybe I wasn't prying hard enough, didn't want to break something. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #12

Ray, the link and info you gave worked out perfectly, the only slight difference was that it's actually a "Philips" product, looks identical to Hehr though. It didn't have the little E clips to remove, once the rods are inserted into the pivots, they flatten them to prevent removal. Nothing that vice grips can't squash back to round. Next stop to the RV Store. Thanks again.