Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Well............ I guess that answers that. I got no further response from Winnebago and the locals don't want to bother with a demo. I guess things are good enough that they don't need sales. I'll have the other brand call them and thank them for making the sale for them... I'm bummed about the whole thing, but not enough to give up RVing. This is my last post on this subject.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

What is the problem? There are so many possibilities.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #17

Sorry to read this.
There are a lot of poor dealer experience stories on the forum. They really should have hooked you up (literally and figuratively).
I just hope you have other dealers around. The smaller, the better. Camping World or any of these mega-plex outfits can generally just be skipped. Always try the small family businesses first.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Well, we've chosen our favorite travel trailer, and it's a Winnebago 28DDBH. Unfortunately, we can't buy it. It's not a money problem. It's an air conditioner problem. Seems a second A/C is not available for this trailer even though it's box is about 30' long, and has 2 slides. My current trailer's box is 26' and has one small slide. I sweltered through July and August in 2012, in this trailer, in Texas, and swore I'd never have a single A/C again. I've emailed Winnebago asking if this can be a special-order item and they have flatly refused, stating that a single 15K unit is enough. Maybe in Wisconsin... but not Texas. As long as they've been around, one would think they'd have a clue... but unfortunately...... We are very disappointed. Looks like we'll be buying a different brand with a nearly identical floor plan.
If you're truly interested in adding a second air conditioner go to your dealer and make an offer on a unit dependent on being able to have the unit installed.

The dealer has a "special request" form that is sent to Winnebago either by mail or electronically. This form is for the exact type of request you've made.

We did this when ordering our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer The dealer made a detailed description of the non-standard items we wanted. Within a couple days we got a positive response and the amount the upgrade would cost.

We weren't sure what options we wanted so we made an appointment and took a private tour of the factory with one of the product training managers. At the time we mentioned we were disappointed that some features we had in our current motorhome weren't available in the 2013 models. He told us that we could have the dealer fill out and submit the form. He also told us that we could request any option from any coach they made. Even if the option was not on the list of those available for the model we were ordering. If the option would physically fit in the model we were ordering they would be happy to install it.

The potential problem I see with a second air conditioner is that there might not be sufficient room to install the necessary duct work. Winnebago uses a ducted system with each AC unit cooling a dedicated part of the living area. There could be a problem with other systems interfering so that the necessary duct work can't be installed.

If Winnebago does agree to install a second AC unit be prepared for a substantial cost. We ordered a couple non standard items. We are glad we did and more than happy with the results, however it wasn't cheap.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Was down in Cincinnati last week and looked at some of their Mini's. I like the build quality over the Aerolite (Dutchman) we have now. The Mini's were too small. Looking for something in the 26' to 28', but can go to 30'. Looking for more of a 4 season RV than the hybrid we have now. Nth at dealer only carried the Mini's. The dealer here in NE Ohio carries the larger Winnebago tt'. So we will have to take a look.

What are the build differences between the Mini's and what they used to call Winnebago One? Are there more "R" factor insulation in the walls. Do they advertise anything about there being heat in the underbelly?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #20

Being from Texas also, I hear you.

HOWEVER...

You have to take into consideration how poorly or well insulated the TT is.

We have a 2015 Coachmen FE 292BHDS. It's 50 AMp and wired for a second AC, but the second AC isn't installed.

I assumed we would find out that we'd need it.

But honestly, we haven't. The ducted AC does a good job of dispersing the cold air. We find ourselves turning the AC warmer because one of us is freezing.

Even when first arriving at the campground in the hot early evening sun, it does not take it long to cool down. I do usually open the diffuser on the unit, and close off the bedroom to help it cool the main area faster. After it is comfortable I open the doors to the bedroom. We do turn the AC on (set to 60*) as soon as we arrive and hook to power.

By the time we finish setting up and are ready to make some dinner inside, it's very comfortable.

We typically ride bikes or hike in the mornings and spend the heat of the day in the camper escaping the heat, and the AC does fine. I have zero complaints.

I learned how to set the fan on hi first, then the AC to temp and it keeps the air moving all the time rather than cycling on and off. I did this because I hate the noise of it kicking on and off, but that may actually be helping with the AC cooling.

I've taken mid day naps in the bunk house, the couch, and the bedroom and all are very comfortable, and just so you have some perspective, we keep our house AC at 71. I'm not one of those people that say "Oh it's 80 in here? it's fine!!!" No. I like my AC!

So before you rule it out, find some owners who can better give you feedback on the AC's performance. For us I was pleasantly surprised that I had no need for the second AC even in the Central Texas summer.

Dislaimer: It's not Aug/Sept yet.... there could be a point this summer that I change my mind about the second AC.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Well... I was going to just leave this alone, but the possibility that the dealer can help get this done has me interested again. So, next week I'll go in person and sit down with them. If they seem like they can do the form and that Winnebago might yet cooperate... I'll give it a try. Who knows, if I show up and act VERY interested... they may yet set up a demo in the heat. As to smaller dealers, my choices are unlimited, as long as it's Camping World... No smaller Winnebago Ultra Lite dealers around.

Again... I've been stuck in my trailer for a long time, in summer, with one A/C... and it's a smaller trailer than I want to upgrade into... and it just ain't happening again. We haven't seen 100 yet this year, but I'd bet it's coming...
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
What are the build differences between the Mini's and what they used to call Winnebago One? Are there more "R" factor insulation in the walls. Do they advertise anything about there being heat in the underbelly?
I'm not sure about different R values, but I imagine it's similar. I belive you have some different window options on the bigger units, like the frameless style.
I can tell you that the enclosed underbelly gets warmed and cooled indirectly. The heat is ducted through the floor, so the whole floor gets warm. I've been under my trailer in the summer with the AC running and found a spot where the underbelly wasn't sealed perfectly and cold air could be felt escaping.
This makes the temperature consistency good.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
With the island sink, the plumbing doesn't move. All the appliances are in the slide. The only thing there would be the gas line to the stove. Some think the fridge being in the slide isn't a good idea, but I don't know why.

We're looking at the next size bigger Winnebago bunk-house plan, but I just don't think it fits our needs as well. It can have the 2nd A/C as an option. As far as the slightly smaller unit having to have a bunch of extra engineering, etc, I don't see it. Looks rather simple to me. Add the roof trusses and wiring for the second unit, and viola... you're done. Again, having spent 2 months one summer sweltering, with the unit I have, is why I want this, but no dice from the manufacturer.... I have the enclosed underbelly, 2" foam walls, etc...
The reason why a fridge in a slide is a bad idea is because of airflow. The air has to enter a side vent and exit a side vent, not the best situation for good cooling. On these types of installs it can be remedied by putting a fan sucking in on the lower vent and one blowing out on the upper. These fans could be controlled by an ARP controller which is designed to protect your fridge from overheating. Good luck in finding the trailer you want.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
What is the problem? There are so many possibilities.
The problem is that so many are constructed so poorly. I've been really doing my homework and come up with this one... only to find I can't get it the way I want it...

Now we're waiting to see what new floor plans Grand Design comes up with in their Reflection line.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #25

I know you will have no local dealers, but take a look at the floorplans for Northwoods and Outdoors RV. You may find they are worth the effort and the drive. Most RV don't have a heater or A/C problem, they have an insulation problem. These two manufacturers do have a 4 season package that really works. In all fairness to Winnebago, adding a second A/C is more that just running power to a roof vent. They have to change all the wiring to go from 120v 30 amp service to 240v 50 amp service. That's a really big deal. That said, a dealer should be more than willing to hook one up and let you see if the A/C is adequate. Makes you wonder if after the sale service will be of the same quality.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #26

Winnebago has eliminated the Winnebago One line of trailers or incorporated those model designs in the Ultralite trailer line which has 5 different floor plans of 30' to 36' trailers. It's hard to say how much the construction differs from the Minnie line, but the specs indicate that the floor is insulated. I think they are making a nice trailer that should be considered at least above average in overall quality and features. On a 30' trailer, I think one good AC can work well if the trailer has fairly good insulation and the AC unit has a higher BTU rating. But....haven't had experience with long term camping in real hot areas of the country.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
Well....... we're definitely waiting until next year, regardless of what happens, now. When the time comes, Winnebago will get one more look.

Thanks for all the replies...
Old 08-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #28

Sadly, i have to amend my initial reply. Now that it is over 100* in Texas, our single AC unit struggles to keep the coach under 80 in the heat of the day unless I have ample shade.

I will either have to go through and add some insulation or heat barrier material to the insides of cabinets, and fill every hole I can find between the coach and the storage bays, or consider having that second AC installed.

Tags
winnebago