Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Winter and holding tanks

I have had my camper parked for over a year I use it weekly for 2-3 days. I've had some sewer odor issues when I return I think because I've just left it open to drain. So after research it said to let tanks fill and empty when 3/4 full. At every empty I add softener and detergent. And it has been doing well. Winter is coming and I'm worried about water in tanks freezing on the days I'm not at the camper so I've left my tanks open, now the odor is back when I return to the camper. Odor is not horrid, but not nice. Should I just put up with it until winter is over or does anyone had any ideas!!

hcarlile73c is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Dont leave open. Close and pour some pink RV antifreeze in both... down the toilet and into every drain to fill the P traps.

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
P-Traps stop odor. Don't let them dry out.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Do I add pink stuff every time I dump or every time I leave for a few days?
hcarlile73c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by hcarlile73c View Post
Do I add pink stuff every time I dump or every time I leave for a few days?
Good morning, anytime you are leaving the coach where the temperatures will be below freezing. It is best to dump the tanks before leaving, and add some pink stuff to protect the valves. I never leave either tank valve open, regardless of the situation.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Originally Posted by hcarlile73c View Post
At every empty I add softener and detergent. And it has been doing well.
I am just wondering what it is that those items are doing well if you still have tank odor problems? I have been an RV owner for many years and always believed that part of the purpose of tank additives was odor control?

Leaving the dump valves open can be a part of the odor problem but the P traps should not go dry in only 1 week. It is also possible that the plumbing vents under each sink are part of the problem and may need to be replaced. You can find directions here. For the black tank the flush valve of the toilet should prevent this but some toilets also have an overflow that requires water in it much like the P traps on the gray water system.

Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

winter, tank