Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey Polymark what's all the white stuff in your picture. We've now lost all our snow as today it reached +4 Celsius here in Regina. My white Chevy is now a very muddy brown. I'm not complaining as the winter is still young and I'm sure we'll see more snow and -40 to -50 with high winds. We need that cold weather though to kill off all the mosquitoes and black flies. Continue to stay warm!

"We were not placed on this earth to see through one another, but rather to see one another through!"
2013 Timber Ridge 260RLS, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
water lines coming in?

who are you keeping the water coming into the camper from freezing?

I have a heated hose, but it is only good for -20*. And I had issues with the spigot freeze up too.

I also found dumping an issue. The pulles to dump would freeze shut and what was in it state of ice.

I wouldn't do winter camping again unless it was required.

ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
who are you keeping the water coming into the camper from freezing?

I have a heated hose, but it is only good for -20*. And I had issues with the spigot freeze up too.

I also found dumping an issue. The pulles to dump would freeze shut and what was in it state of ice.

I wouldn't do winter camping again unless it was required.

I do have a heated hose too and I believe it is rated to -40. But I am actually using the water tank. I found that it was a lot easier to work with filling the tank when needed than it was to heat and insulate the hose and connections.
As for the dumping the tanks everything is at a nice warm 12 degrees Celsius. I have the whole underside of the trailer skirted in with insulated skirting and a couple infrared heaters. When I need to dump the tanks I use a portable tank that I store under the trailer when it is not being used so it is warm? I then open a small opening in the skirting which gives me access to the hose and dump valves under the trailer. A quick dump and the portable tank is wheeled over to the septic system. With the liquids being warm and the tank being close by I am able to dump it before anything can freeze. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to dump the 3 tanks. Usually only once per week. Unless my wife is visiting while I am at work. Then it is more often.
Polymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #18
re: winter camping

We did something somewhat similar to this last October and November. We have a KZ 14' Sportsman Classic, with no furnace. We use a Ryobi generator with a electric furnace. I did take the time this last summer after we had purchased this unit. I put the R5 pink stuff, with the Reflectix glued onto the top of that, under all benches, inside of the storage area on outside wall, and Reflectix on the inside of the storage area. Pink stuff inside of the water tank, water heater, shore power area also. No Reflectix there.

Did that make it any warmer? Don't know. This was our first year of fall/winter camping with it.

Will it make a difference for next year? Don't know. I will be insulating it more inside all the cabinets on the outer wall/ceiling, and the closet also. Am thinking of pulling the tub surround at the bottom, and putting in there also.

For you, Have you thought of doing something similar to your trailer? A little insulation and elbow grease might be the thing for you. Just make sure that all your measurements are good, and your cuts are tight as well.

Oh, one other thing. The wheel wells/fenders on the inside of the trailer, these I covered first with the Reflectix. That was just sheet metal there!

Hope this will help you somewhat.
Bruce And Sheila
'06 Ford Superduty F250 6.0 cc 8' 3.73 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro 2014 Flex by Augusta
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
One of the very important lessons I learned from living in the north most of my life is to insulate and seal the drafts. But one of the important lessons I learned with these new style RV trailers with the heaters and tanks and all that. Is that if you over insulate you will prevent the heat from getting to your plumbing. Now I am talking about a forced air furnace and enclosed under bellies.
The other thing I learned being in the north and having a trailer is to not use fibreglass insulating for any thing if it can be avoided. It's like a sponge for moisture!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
I may have mentioned this before but it is a very important part of winter RV living. Monitor your humidity. My particular unit is very well sealed so I leave my bathroom vent fan cover open about 4 or 5cm to allow some air circulation. So far I am able to keep the humidity at about 20% which is good. When I cook I use the overhead fan. When I shower I use he fan. Even with the single pane windows which I cover with reflectex I get little to no moisture or ice build up.

camping, winter