Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

Winter Camping At -40 degrees.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #2

Because I my work I needed to have a place to stay while I was working away from my home. Welcome to the Canadian oilfield. At -40 (same on both scales) this creates some challenges. But I seem to have it all set up.
I have 2 electric heaters in my insulated skirting which keep the crawl space at about 11 to 12 degrees Celsius. The inside is a comfortable 20 to 21 degrees Celsius.
My Flagstaff V-Lite is doing very well with all the Canadian modifications. LolClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417413966.493647.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	745.8 KB
ID:	80293Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417413991.856689.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	721.0 KB
ID:	80294

Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At -40 it's not camping, it's survival. How many minutes do you have if you loose heat?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #4

It's actually not too bad. I am burning about $200 to $250 of propane per month. I also have the infrared fireplace and another infrared portable heater in the rear bed room. The furnace is able to keep up quite nicely. I have covered the windows and doors with reflectex to compensate for the single pane windows. Works like a charm. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417414776.486251.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	848.5 KB
ID:	80295
Old 12-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #5

One of the big things I found was to leave the bathroom vent open. I have been able to keep the humidity about 20% so I don't have any issues with humidity.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
At -40 it's not camping, it's survival. How many minutes do you have if you loose heat?

If you are fully exposed to the cold I would give a couple minutes. Lol. But that's about it.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now thats what I call a a Ft McMurray Alberta special...
Highway 4x4 everything shrinks at 40 below....try reading meters or doing line work
Polymark remember The rodeo song.....Well it's 40 below and I don't give a ^}%}#{^..Got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo..
Thank goodness the wind isn't blowing....
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Now thats what I call a a Ft McMurray Alberta special...

Highway 4x4 everything shrinks at 40 below....try reading meters or doing line work

Polymark remember The rodeo song.....Well it's 40 below and I don't give a ^}%}#{^..Got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo..

Thank goodness the wind isn't blowing....

Oh believe me that song has been sung a few times. Lol
Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymark View Post
I can only say two things ... God Bless You and Better You than Me! Take care.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

My Flagstaff V-Lite is doing very well with all the Canadian modifications. Lol

There were some serious challenges when in came to planning out the water and sewer issues. Although we are not in the tundra (lol) I am on a friends hobby farm. That being said he runs a hose to the horses everyday so we just add water to my tank when needed. But I do not fill it any more than about 3/4 fill. That keeps the fill port from freezing. The fill and vent also run through the closet in the bedroom so it stays fairly warm.

The waste water, is not fun but it works. I use a portable waste tank that I can take over to the septic system and dump in. I store the tank in the crawl space so it will not build up any ice.

As this is not a full time operation when I leave the trailer for any more than a day or two I use my air compressor to blow the water system clear. And I drain all the waste tanks.

I also have a wireless sensors that monitor temperature in the Bedroom, living room and crawl space. If any of the sensors drop below a preset temperature it rings an alarm in my friend's house.

I had custom fitted wraps made for the slides. These are made of the same insulated material as the skirting. It helps protect my slide seals and makes it very easy to brush off any snow build up. Although it is usually fairly windy where I am parked so I don't have to worry about the snow too much.

For the hot water I am using the stock water system in the trailer. When I shut it off I drain and blow down the entire system with my air compressor. Cleans the lines right out.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Polymark, good job, proper preparation prevents poor performance.
When I lived at a ski resort, we had frequent RV visitors, and we found that skirting & window covers made major differences, but we only got down to -20F. and yes, humidity & condensation are major issues when you seal everything up to keep the cold out.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With the waste water...you could always make an ice rink for hockey or curling rink...it may be a bit " lumpy"....

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

I was very concerned reading the first part thinking that if your heating failed you would have no chance of making it with no real back up for heat other than a few small electric heaters and then I read it was on your friends property so I guess in a pinch you could just take a walk over to his house and warm up....
Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #14

It is handy that I have it a friend's property. There is enough electric heat that if the propane was to not function that it would still be ok. And vise versa. If the temperature drops to a pre set limit for the crawl space or the interior the alarm will ring on the panel in by friends place so he can take care of any issues when I am gone.

Tags
camping, winter