Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2002, 05:15 AM   #1

I'm going to be winterizing my TT for the first time and was hoping someone could tell me exactly what I need to know/do. Thank you.

2002 Keystone Mountaineer
Newcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2002, 06:11 AM   #2

I would suggest looking in the manual(s) that came with the unit to see how the manufacturer recommends doing it. If you use the search function here you can probably get a lot of information.

I blow out my lines with a hand air pump and shut off the hot h2o heater bypass. I do this sink by sink. Then I open my low point drains and fresh tank drain. Then I put the antifreeze in my sink traps and in the tanks. If there is any h2o left in the fresh h2o tank, I put some there also. Be sure to check the toilet flush so water isn't left in there to freeze and expand.

Also leave the hot h2o heater drain plug out over the winter.

Good luck.

Frank
Frank P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 AM   #3

Step 1
Get the pink non-toxic RV anti-freeze from Camping World. Three gallons ought to do it.
Step 2
While at Camping World purchase the Bypass kit that attaches to your water pump.
Step 3
Find water pump on RV. Get kit and intall bypass kit to the INTAKE side of the water pump.
Step 4
Remove plug/anode from Hot Water heater. Go inside RV and by pass (turn the knobs) the HW tank. Verify tank is bypassed by turning on water pump with plug in tank removed and make sure no water is filling tank. Other wise you will pump 10 gallons of anti freeze into HW tank.
Step 5
Find the "low point" plugs in your RV. You may not have them. If you do open them and drain water. Leave them open for now. Then open the furthest faucet from the water pump and hook the antifreeze into the pump and run the pump until the water is pink. Make sure you do the hot and cold faucets. Check low point drain to see if pink is coming out. Then plug. Then continue to open hot and cold faucets until all run pink. Make sure you do the toilet and the shower.
Step 6
If you have any antifreeze left be sure to pour into sinks and shower drains. You have to get the "P" traps as well. It's a good idea to make sure to have some in all the tanks. Be sure the fresh water tank is empty. This stuff is non-toxic But I don't want to put any in my fresh tank unless I have to. But that is better than having to replace the tank because it split in the winter temps!
Step 7
Another way some folks do this is to put a ceramic heater at each end of the RV and leave it run all winter. So folks do go camping in the winter.

Chet

2000 F350 Lariat Limited Edition and a 32 ft. Cardinal 5th wheel.
Moderators have opinions too. It is O.K. to disagree with my statements.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:35 AM   #4

I have a 32' MH. It has all the usual amenities that are plumbed to the water system. I use the RV anti-freeze and use about 1.5 gal to winterize the system. I don't buy the camping world stuff. Wal-mart, PepBoys, Napa, and almost anywhere else that sells regular antifreeze has it on the shelf for about $3/gal.

I live in Colorado where it occasionally gets really cold. I tried blowing the lines out with compressed air on my slide in camper years ago. My experience is: It takes more of my precious time to blow out the lines. Although I was very careful and thought that I had all the water out of the system, my camper's plumbing froze that winter because I COULD NOT get all the water out. This caused MUCH pain and suffering the next spring to fix it. I will [B]NEVER[/B use the compressed air process again.

So with modifications to meet the specifics of my motorhome Chet's process works for me. Be sure to pour antifreeze into all the sink drains so that the P-Traps are full of antifreeze.

Larry
LarryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:39 AM   #5

Gosh, the things you guys have to go through to make it through the winter are enough to make me cry. I only use mine in months one through twelve. Waking up to 6" of snow on the awning makes it all worthwhile. Seriously, wish you could all enjoy weather warm enough to make it a year-round endeavor, but I guess there are tradeoffs to every area of this great country.

Jim
2001 Chevy C3500 CC D/A
1999 CarriLite 734RL3 Triple 5ver

2001 Chevy C3500 CC D/A ("Juiced") Prodigy
jbh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:27 AM   #6

Jim,

Although I have to winterize, it only takes about 1/2 hour once you know how. So if I need to use the MH in the winter, I unWinterize, use the MH then reWinterize.

You haven't lived until you have looked at Mt Sneffels from Ouray, Co in a snowstorm while listening to John Denver's 'Rocky Mountain High' while setting in your RV. Can't do that without getting in the cold a little, but worth it all. Every RV experience is good but some of them are in the cold stuff.

Larry
LarryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:47 AM   #7

Don't forget to take everything out of the trailer that freezes. We left a case of Coke in on of the cupboards one year. The freezing burst the cans and what a sticky mess.

81 31 Ft Glendette Deluxe
01 F150 Supercrew
Old 10-10-2002, 11:35 AM   #8
DJ

I have two things to add to Chets list:

If you have an exterior shower don't forget that.

And remove the battery and keep it inside unless you leave the trailer plugged in all winter.

<LI> Register Here for The National in Nashville!

99.5 Ford F-250SC 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel
99 Golden Falcon 25 MGT Fifth Wheel.

<A HREF="http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Agawam.html" TARGET=_blank>
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 PM   #9

I do it the same way CyberVet65 does it, seem like a lot of work, but only takes 10-15 minutes.

Good Luck

Ps The first time is always a little scary.

1993 Ford F250 351 engine 4X4 Standard Transmission 5 speed
2000 Elkhorn Slide-in 9T(10ft)
SRW BF Goodrich 285x75R 16D
Fleetwood
With options 3200lbs
not including one red dog
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Newcamper:

Back in the fall of 2000, someone posted a link to a site with step by step instructions for "painless" RV winterizing. I printed it out and have followed it faithfully for the last two winters. I tried the link and it still works so here it is below for your winterizing pleasure.

Please note that this is the "Reader's Digest" condensed version of the winterizing procedure. To get the complete version (which has a lot more pictures and examples), you have to pay them $9.95 to download it. When I printed it in 2000, you got the complete version... for FREE! Unfortunately, this is not the case today.

Painless RV Winterizing

Happy Camping

1996 Ford HD F-250 SC SB PSD 5sp 4.10
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT
1986 Coleman Laramie Pop-Up

[This message was edited by Frank P. Martin on October 10, 2002 at 08:10 PM.]
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:17 PM   #11

Also don't forget to winterize the city water connection and put a little in the toilet bowl to keep the seal moist.

The "Painless RV Winterizing" site above is a great tool. Just download the 7 easy steps is all you need. I use about 1 1/2 gallons of the pink stuff and takes about 15 minutes.

Eric and Bev

1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L Triton V8 engine
1998 26' Dutchmen Lite Travel Trailer

M GO BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:04 AM   #12

I also use the tags that repel flies that are put through a cow's ear in places that I think spiders might nest. Around furnace valves, stove burners, refrigerator gas, h2o hearter gas valve, etc. You can laugh but it works for us.

I also put moth balls in containers in hard to reach places in the TT.

We are fortunate, in that we keep our TT in a barn over the winter. My real treat is to back the TT into the barn. The neighbors enjoy the show because I don't have a lot of room to maneuver.

Again, good luck.

Frank
Old 10-13-2002, 11:35 AM   #13

Hello
I too am new to the fifth wheel ownership. I have read both good and bad in using the anti-freeze. I don't like the idea of blowing out the lines, cause I don't have anything but a hand pump, so I will use the anti-freeze.

Everyone talks about the water system, but what about the battery? Should I leave it in and put a trikle charger on it or what?

Is it o.k. to leave the tires set on the ground or should I jack it up and put it on stands?

Thanks for all the advice.
David Huntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:58 AM   #14

David,
I always take the battery out and store it in my basement for the winter. I trickle charge it periodically throughout the winter months.

Frank