Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Winterizing, Dewinterizing, then Winterizing Again

We live in Maryland but are planning a trip down south to Georgia over Christmas. My plan would be to winterize in mid-November, after our last local camping trip of the season, then dewinterize a month later for the trip to GA, then re-winterize for good until April or so. Does this seem practical/feasible for a novice owner? Theoretically, when it would be time to dewinterize prior to our trip south, around 12/20, it could be below freezing. Could I safely dewinterize for the trip south while it is still freezing outside? Would it be more practical to dewinterize once we were further south, like North Carolina? Could dewinterizing be done successfully while stopping to camp for a night prior to getting to our final destiination? How practical would it then be to then re-winterize one week later? Can that be done while still on the road, again maybe somewhere in NC?
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

When we leave from Ontario heading south, we dont dewinterize until we are south of the freezing. This could vary year to year. Usually one good long day of driving gets us below the freezing. We fill up the water tanks and dewinterize at whatever campground we end up at after that first day. Same thing on the return, just the opposite.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
We live in Maryland but are planning a trip down south to Georgia over Christmas. My plan would be to winterize in mid-November, after our last local camping trip of the season, then dewinterize a month later for the trip to GA, then re-winterize for good until April or so. Does this seem practical/feasible for a novice owner? Theoretically, when it would be time to dewinterize prior to our trip south, around 12/20, it could be below freezing. Could I safely dewinterize for the trip south while it is still freezing outside? Would it be more practical to dewinterize once we were further south, like North Carolina? Could dewinterizing be done successfully while stopping to camp for a night prior to getting to our final destiination? How practical would it then be to then re-winterize one week later? Can that be done while still on the road, again maybe somewhere in NC?
Why not de-winterize just before leaving, and just leave your lines empty?
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Winterizing/De-Winterizing on most rigs is a quick process. Probably 20 minutes or so in most cases. I would wait to De-winterize until you're out of freezing temps. It could easily be done at a campsite while you're staying overnight. I'd rather be safe then sorry, it's not worth the risk and the pink stuff is cheap. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
hamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

Agree with leave it winterized until you are south enough that you do not need to worry about it. On my trailer I would run the propane furnace some to keep the heated under belly warmer.

I think you can de-winterize easy enough when you get to your campsite.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

You can winterize anywhere. I would suggest bringing the antifreeze with you as it can be tough to find in the South.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #7

Dewinterwize in the south or just do it when ever and leave your furnace on 50 while traveling.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

Walmart has 205 stores in Georgia and I'll bet every one of them sells RV antifreeze.

Tags
winter