Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #1

Arrow Winterizing Question

This is our first TT and so I'm freaking out about Winterising.

1. Is it ok to leave the TV in the RV or does it have to be removed and brought inside. Its an LED not LCD screen.

2. Is it ok to leave the RV plugged into the side of the house, I'm thinking that will keep the batteries topped up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Do you need to increase the Tire pressure as I know the cold will reduce the pressure inside the tires. I'm thinking leave as is but what do I know lol

4. I'm gonna winterise with air pressure. Any tips on this. I've read lots of pros and some cons to this. Not wanting to start a war but what's your views, and major tips of using air.

5. just bought some eternabond tape. I know its a brand new TT but I feel preventative measure is better than cure. Question is do it now or in the spring? Will the cold weather effect the initial adhesion etc

6. My RV cover also arrived last week. My TV arial thing is sharp looking. Is there a way to remove these easily as I never use the TV stations at all? Or what do you guys use to put over the sharp corner pieces of the RV roof etc.

Thanks so much.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:16 AM   #2

1. Is it ok to leave the TV in the RV or does it have to be removed and brought inside. Its an LED not LCD screen.

Leave it in the RV.

2. Is it ok to leave the RV plugged into the side of the house, I'm thinking that will keep the batteries topped up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a good thing to leave it plugged into the shore power and some of us allow the refrig to remain on as well.

3. Do you need to increase the Tire pressure as I know the cold will reduce the pressure inside the tires. I'm thinking leave as is but what do I know lol

I would periodically check tire pressure and possibly cover the tires. Park off the ground on boards.

4. I'm gonna winterise with air pressure. Any tips on this. I've read lots of pros and some cons to this. Not wanting to start a war but what's your views, and major tips of using air.

Either way with air pressure or antifreeze. I prefer the latter. If you use air pressure, just dial in enough pressure to do the job. Don't overdo the PSI.

5. just bought some eternabond tape. I know its a brand new TT but I feel preventative measure is better than cure. Question is do it now or in the spring? Will the cold weather effect the initial adhesion etc

I'm a big fan of Eternabond tape. As soon as my once new RV needed caulking, I ordered the tape and used it. No leaks in my 5 year old coach.

6. My RV cover also arrived last week. My TV arial thing is sharp looking. Is there a way to remove these easily as I never use the TV stations at all? Or what do you guys use to put over the sharp corner pieces of the RV roof etc.

Not a fan of covers. I've used two and they ended up ripping to shreds and created "rub marks" on my coach. I'm under a hard shelter right now and don't mind paying extra for this type of storage.

I know I didn't answer all your questions exactly, but others will pipe in with their techniques. It's a friendly helpful bunch here at IRV2.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I leave my tt plugged into shore power all winter. Even with the really cold temperatures in Ontario the battery was fine.
As far as tires I just make sure they are topped up to max pressure as indicated on sidewall and keep them parked on a couple of 2x6 treated boards and cover them.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Just to add if you have max air covers leave them a crack open.

We leave our trailer plugged in year round and always leave the fridge on year round. Good for emergencies.

And have never covered in four years and see no point here in Vancouver.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are using air make sure you still put a cup or two of antifreeze down each drain to displace the water in the P-traps. Don't forget about the rarely used lines - like outside shower, black water flush line, low point drain, or washer hookup - if you have these.

Hope this helps,
Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

I leave my TV in the trailer. While I know people who winterize with air I winterize with antifreeze. I make sure my tires are up to pressure and occasionally take a look to see if they are okay. I check them pressure before bringing out of storage and if they are low bring them up to pressure. I had a cover for a previous trailer and won't get another. Some swear by them and others swear at them. I had mine torn up badly over one winter so I've never replaced. I cover my air conditioner so it doesn't get snow blown in but I'm not sure it's necessary. It was recommended to me by another RV owner.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

Oh and I remove my battery and leave the fridge doors open.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've been doing this for 10 years on my trailer with no issues:

1.Make sure the water heater is OFF! Drain water heater and leave drain plug out all winter.
2. Drain fresh water tank - leave drain valve open
3.Set the water heater lines to by-pass so the water heater is isolated
4.Open all faucets (hot and cold) and turn the pump on - let it run until no water is coming out of any faucet - then turn the pump off.
5.Open your low point drains and drain the entire system then close the low point drains.
6. Close all faucets.
7. Connect air compressor to the city water connection. Set the compressor out pressure to 25 - 30 lbs. Turn compressor on and let it run until it shuts off. I use a 2 gallon compressor from Harbor Freight.
8. Start at the faucet farthest away from the city water inlet. Turn faucet on (hot and cold) and let run until no water is coming out. Turn the faucet off. Repeat this process for every faucet working from the farthest to the nearest to the city water connection. Do not forget the shower, the toilet, and the outside shower. Once only air is coming out of every faucet, disconnect the compressor. Open all faucets and leave them open for the winter.
9. Open your grey tank(s) and leave it/them open.
10. Pour antifreeze into traps until it is coming out of the sewer dump connection. Don't forget the shower.
11. Leave the black tank closed and dump about a half gallon of antifreeze down the toilet. This will protect the black dump valve. I always flush my black tank as the first part of winterizing until it is clean, but this is not necessary.
12. You are done! The entire process takes 1/2 hour to 1 hour not including the black tank flush.

In the spring, reverse the process to recharge the system. I only ever had to replace the outside shower faucet because I forgot to blow it out one winter.

Happy winterizing!
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winterizing the genny

Is winter shutdown the time to change your genny oil?
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Is winter shutdown the time to change your genny oil?
I would check it and top it off if necessary, then change the oil in the spring. Do make sure you turn the fuel valve off and run the genny until it stalls. This will remove all fuel from the carb and fuel lines.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Starve the genny of fuel forgot that - I will put in a fuel stabilizer on last filllup as well,
Thx for that rB

Tags
winter