Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Winterizing questions

I am unfortunately starting the wintering process on my TT. This is my first time so I apologize for the dumb question. There is currently about 1-2 gal of water in my black tank from my last pump out. Can I just put 2 gal of rv antifreeze in the tank to keep it from freezing or do I have to dump it out. I know I should dump it out but I would have to join it up and drag it over to the truck stop and pay to dump it. Will 1-2 gal of water mixed with 2 gal of antifreeze be ok?
gdavis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes that is more than enough. There is plenty of room for the ice to expand if it does freeze. With that much anti-freeze it will never freeze solid, just get real slushy and do no harm. I live in Northern MI and have done this for 17 years and 4 different rigs without a problem.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #3

Another dumb question. Why not put a bucket under the black tank outlet and dump it? Then pour it down the toilet in the house. Might take more than one trip. Just be careful not to spill it.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

I actually thought about that, but wasn't sure how cleanly I could do it. I flushed it out twice the last time I dumped so it shouldn't be too bad. It might be worth a try.
gdavis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #5

A half bucket at a time and shut the valve off. Give it a try. Cheaper than anti freeze.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

I would prefer to dump into buckets and put in the toilet at home, make sure you shut off the valve early it will still flow after you close it.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Another dumb question. Why not put a bucket under the black tank outlet and dump it? Then pour it down the toilet in the house. Might take more than one trip. Just be careful not to spill it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis17 View Post
I actually thought about that, but wasn't sure how cleanly I could do it. I flushed it out twice the last time I dumped so it shouldn't be too bad. It might be worth a try.
Quote:
A half bucket at a time and shut the valve off. Give it a try. Cheaper than anti freeze.
gdavis17
I've done that..... it works, (but it's not fun).
Normally I simply add 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze into both waste tanks when winterizing.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine for 13 years)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Yes that is more than enough. There is plenty of room for the ice to expand if it does freeze. With that much anti-freeze it will never freeze solid, just get real slushy and do no harm. I live in Northern MI and have done this for 17 years and 4 different rigs without a problem.
I agree. What you have done is more than adequate and will suffice for the winter. Rvers sometimes over think the +- of what they have done and sometimes make a simple process complicated.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never mix water with the RV antifreeze it will not work to protect you plumbing system.
Your large tanks need to be drain of contents and after your have either blown out the water in plumbing or pumped anti through the lines add enough anti in traps to extend to your closed knife blades in drain pipe.
Here is some info on winterizing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

I have never heard that you can't mix RV anti freeze with water. I'm not sure what the ratio is but you're right that if you go below that level then it will freeze. We dilute Prestone with at least 50% water and RV anti freeze is no different in that respect. The holding tanks are not prone to damage because the water can freely expand when it freezes. The problem comes in when you have water contained within pipes and it has no where to expand so the pipe cracks. That's the reason why PEX is better, in most cases it will expand the little needed and you will be ok. Always better to blow out your lines as usual or use pump bypass to completely fill the fresh water system after bypassing the water heater. Anti freeze in all traps and your OK.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #11

Is your black tank so small you think a couple gal of water will damage it? Most water heaters will still have close to a gallon of water in them after they are drained perhaps we should lay the coach on it's side to get all the water out LOL JK. If you know there is only a couple of gal in the tank don't worry about it 10 or more gal I would drain it because that is enough to fill your lines and you could have a issue. Hard to believe people that are OK with just blowing out their lines expect you to drain every drop out of the tanks.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
I have a "honeywagon" and dump it into the 4" cleanout for the sewer at home all the time. Works great! Just like at the dump station.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not help you, I put a dump station in at home.

Seriously the 5 gallon bucket for 2 gallons of "Stuff" sounds like a plan.

One recommendation: There are two ways to deal with the fresh lines, Pink them up and come spring have tons of fun flusing it all out,

or air them up (Blow them out with an air compressor, several times, with all valves open, pausing a few times between blows, drain the water heater, Drain the on-board water pump inlet strainer and run it dry, and cycle the ice maker AFTER THE FIRST BLOW. (lay a towel under the inlet strainer when you open it)

If the air freezes, I won't worry about the RV.

Then use Pink in drains, traps, toilet(s) and waste tanks only.

Tags
winter