Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #15

never saw a hw tank bypass. now I realize Id have to remove a housing to find it. do I need to do this?

Yes, and take a pic before you turn any valves, or draw a sketch and leave it in there

nor did I ever find the low point water drains. I do see a red pipe and a blue pipe pointing down outside the trailer..there is no valves....thats why i ordered the blowout plug..hopefully that got it.

Look inside above where you see the pipes coming out. Should find two T shaped valves that pull up and the water will come out. If you already blew air thru it without opening these you probably need to re-winterize after opening.

so my pump has 2 inputs, one output. one input is holding tank, the other a hose to stick in the antifreeze jug. nice that winnebago included that. too bad I ordered the kit. anyway..

You have a backup now for when that never fails.

so I opened the jug valve, closed the tank valve, and opened each water device..sink. other sink...ran toilet..shower...outside shower until all ran pink. drained the ATWOOD heater. wow lot of water....unfort. some was pinkish. Ill deal with that later. destroyed the plug. ordered one.
put a gallon of pink in the holding tank, opened valve, let it get sucked into the pump. not sure if that was wise. seemed smart at the time.

Consider ordering a electric conversion for your tank. That way you don't have to burn propane constantly for hot water. Put this in place of the plug you just killed.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11773-W...70781125&psc=1
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #16

Low point drains - look for a valve up higher on those pipes. Yes, you need to drain those. One of my trailers had a plastic cap screwed on to the bottom of the each pipe. You should see either caps or valves.

HW heater - yes, either 6 or 10 gallons of water should come out depending on the HW size.

2 more things to do/learn.

1. You need to find the HW bypass valve.
2. You need to drain your low point pipes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #17

@Charlie
This is a new trailer. Have you looked in your manuals? If you don’t have your manuals there is lots of info on Winnebago manufactures website. Apparently I’m not supposed to link to other manufacturers sites/forums (mods delete them) so good luck finding it on your own...something like winnebagoind dot com click on resources at the top.

That way you aren’t guessing or looking for something that doesn’t exist. People give info based on their equipment ,usually a class A, and don’t realize trailers, in particular teardrops are very basic and involve removing panels to access things and simple caps for drains like someone else mentioned.

Feeding the pink stuff into the system may be a little more complicated than just a second tube inlet on the pump. Although I think you were able to get the pink stuff into the system, avoid using the water tank to do it.

This is why I didn’t detail how I do mine because I have 5 valves, the WH, pump and a winterizing intake all in the same basement compartment. I know on yours you don’t have a basement. Although the trailers I looked at the winterizing drains were accessible without climbing under the trailer. The back of the WH and pump were tucked away requiring some removing to get to them.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #18

When I rebuilt my camper over the summer, I replaced the water heater with a Bosch. I didn’t think about it at the time but it doesn’t have a tank drain. So with that said I have to fill that with antifreeze also. Not a big deal at all to me. All I do is put 3 gallons of antifreeze and 3 gallons of water in my fresh water tank. Turn the pump on and the hot side for the kitchen faucet. When it runs pink I’ll turn on the cold until it runs pink. It takes a while to flush the water heater since it has 4 gallons of clear water. Usually 5 minutes or so. I do the same at the shower, bath sink, outside shower and toilet.

Before someone says you’re not supposed to dilute the antifreeze, I tested my mix first. I put a cup of my mix in my deep freezer over night and it was fine.
Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcounty1 View Post
When I rebuilt my camper over the summer, I replaced the water heater with a Bosch. I didn’t think about it at the time but it doesn’t have a tank drain. So with that said I have to fill that with antifreeze also. Not a big deal at all to me. All I do is put 3 gallons of antifreeze and 3 gallons of water in my fresh water tank. Turn the pump on and the hot side for the kitchen faucet. When it runs pink I’ll turn on the cold until it runs pink. It takes a while to flush the water heater since it has 4 gallons of clear water. Usually 5 minutes or so. I do the same at the shower, bath sink, outside shower and toilet.

Before someone says you’re not supposed to dilute the antifreeze, I tested my mix first. I put a cup of my mix in my deep freezer over night and it was fine.
Just so others reading this don't get the wrong idea that diluting the AF is something everyone can do what was the temperature in the freezer?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #20

Winterizing Questions from a Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Just so others reading this don't get the wrong idea that diluting the AF is something everyone can do what was the temperature in the freezer?

I should have put that in there. It is 0-5 degrees at all times. Also I used the Walmart brand antifreeze. It runs around $2.60 a gallon here.
Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter