Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #1

Winterizing questions \ Jayco

I have a Jayco 298 R&D and this is my first time winterizing it. I think I have it winterized but the manual is horrible. I drained all the tanks and emptied all 4 low point drains. I opened the hot water heater plug which was a nightmare to get access to but was all dry. I then switched the heater bypass on, closed low point drains and sucked up the pink stuff into the lines with the pump. I ran all faucets hot and cold till pink flowed.

My question is how does the pink stuff get into the city water pressure line that comes in? I think the one loan point drains that but I don't know.

- is there anything to winterize a fridge or air conditioner?
Thanks in advance for the feedback k.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #2

I am curious that you didn't get any water out of the water heater. I just drained mine yesterday and it was like a flood. Did you open the pressure relief valve? The flow out of the tank will be very slow to non existent till the relief is opened and there is a path for air into the system.

As for your city water line. I think the low point drains will empty that line when opened.

Nothing to do for the AC or Fridge.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I like to use air to blow the lines out when opening the low points and taps. I hook the air to the city inlet so I know that is blown out as well. After blowing the lines until very little or no water comes out I fill the lines with pink.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The city water inlet has a valve with a pin looking at you after you pull the screen washer gently push the pin and water and pink stuff will blow out at you so keep your face away from it.
Here are some links to other info you need.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have an outside shower don't forget that as well.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback folks....yes I got the outside shower. I think I'm going to shoot some pink stuff down the city water link and let it flush through..
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

My low points will empty the HW tank if the pressure valve is opened. With the HW bypass set on mine the pump will not deliver water to the fwd hot lines but...the outside shower valves can be opened, the head lever not depressed and it will act as a shunt for the cw to the hw side. This allows pinking up the shower/tub and bathroom sink hot water lines.
btw, not a jayco
Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #8

I posted this write-up with pics... may be helpful:
Winterizing your Minnie Towable
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Nice write up. I think I have it winterized now. The big test is in the spring when I fill the tanks and flush them if water starts spurting out. I'm thinking positive thoughts. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #10

For what it's worth, we get a few warm spells through the winter where I'll pull the rig out and go camping.
I say that because the antifreeeze is cheap and winterization does not have to be a one-time event each year. I think I winterized mine at least 3-4 times last year.
So I spent $35 on anitfreeze and a few hours of my time, total. Worth it!
And I'll put a bucket under the low-point drains and recapture close to a gallon of the pink stuff.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

I blow the lines, drain the tanks and then put pink down the drains and in the gray & black tanks. I am curious as to why you would put pink in the lines.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do not put that stuff in my lines, but I do blow everything out really well, I leave all facets and low point drains open, have never had a freeze up, does everyone use the pink stuff in their lines, I use it in my drains but o where else.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
........... the antifreeeze is cheap and winterization does not have to be a one-time event each year. I think I winterized mine at least 3-4 times last year.
So I spent $35 on anitfreeze and a few hours of my time, total. Worth it!
I get about a five hard freezes each winter season where I live. The freezes last about 2 days. It would be nice to go camping in between the freezes, but I'm not going to spend 3 hours to winterize my travel trailer for each camping experience. (The 3 gallons of RV antifreeze is not a big financial burden.)

Back flushing the city water connection is the messy part. That is about as much fun as changing the oil in my truck.

I've been considering going for a "winterized" camping adventure this winter. That would be using the water, rest rooms and showers of the campgrounds.
TV, microwave, indoor cooking, heated trailer, nice bed are still usable. It would be like tent camping, but a whole lot more comfortable.
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #14

3 hours??
What are you doing to that thing?

Takes me maybe 20 minutes.

Tags
winter, jayco