Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #1

Camping season is just about over here in New England and its time to winterize. THis is the first year I have my Toy Hualer and would like some tips on winterizing.

The manual was very general although non of it looks very complicated.

I have a bybass already on the hot water heater and I bought a cover and wheel covers for it.

Any tips that would help me avoid any pitfalls would be appreciated. The temps can get down to -20F or -30F wich is hard on anything exposed to those temps.

Thanks

and just for the record I have 22ft Keystone Hobbi.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #2

Camping season is just about over here in New England and its time to winterize. THis is the first year I have my Toy Hualer and would like some tips on winterizing.

The manual was very general although non of it looks very complicated.

I have a bybass already on the hot water heater and I bought a cover and wheel covers for it.

Any tips that would help me avoid any pitfalls would be appreciated. The temps can get down to -20F or -30F wich is hard on anything exposed to those temps.

Thanks

and just for the record I have 22ft Keystone Hobbi.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your manual instruct you on draining the system, hot water tank, fresh, waste and black tanks and install anti freeze?
You might take a peak at the "mice" thread on this page.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #4

Once you set the bypass valves and drain the water heater, you will have to do something to make sure all the water lines are drained.

I used one of those air adapters and thought I got all the water out, but I later installed one of those fittings at the water pump and pumped RV anti-freeze into the system.

I was really shocked at how much additional water came out before pink antifreeze came out of the taps.

Anyhow, I'd really recommend one of those winterizing valves that splice into the line between the water tank and pump. You just flip the valve, thead on a tube that dips into your jug of RV antifreeze, turn on the pump and run around and open each tap until anti-freeze runs out.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #5

good idea thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #6

You'll find the procedure here. Two items they do not address are: a built-it ice maker and a clothes washer. If you have these the instructions are in the respective owners manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
zip

Along with the water system winterizing,we make it a habit to empty the fridge and take all the "freezables" from the fridge, pantry and medicine cabinet into the house and leave the fridge door open for the winter. Also cover the air conditioner and remove the battery.

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #8

ohh geesh,
that would take to long, hehe i love living in Arizona... i can take a ride up to Flagstaff in the winter, play in the snow get back in my car drive 2 hours back and im warm again... in the summertime here i go camping up around payson, when its 110 here up there it will be about 80 not tooo bad... we just went camping up to Lake Pleasent for the weekend, next time ill burn a log for yas

Dean
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Wow,Dean! Waves in Phoenix, who would've guessed. But wait, don't you also have the London Bridge there in the desert?

For those of us preparing for the winter solstice remember the little critters(ants,spiders,mices ect.)looking for a cozy home for the chilly times. I suggest a half of pet flea collar in the water heater, fridge & furnace compartments as a repellent. I also dust the carpet and inside the floor cabinets with 20 Mule Team Borax. If you have not already done so check the under carriage for holes and seal with canned expansion foam. Also, don't skimp with the antifreez. From experience, it only takes a teaspoon of frozen water to ruin a faucet. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #10

I just diconnect the line coming from the fresh water tank, stick the hose in the antifreeze and turn on the pump. When I am done, I re-attach the hose.

James

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
Once you set the bypass valves and drain the water heater, you will have to do something to make sure all the water lines are drained.

I used one of those air adapters and thought I got all the water out, but I later installed one of those fittings at the water pump and pumped RV anti-freeze into the system.

I was really shocked at how much additional water came out before pink antifreeze came out of the taps.

Anyhow, I'd really recommend one of those winterizing valves that splice into the line between the water tank and pump. You just flip the valve, thead on a tube that dips into your jug of RV antifreeze, turn on the pump and run around and open each tap until anti-freeze runs out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
jamesbobbi

welcome to iRV2. We hope you continue to return and share your tips and experiences.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #12

Don't forget to send some antifreeze to the toilet. I have the HW bypass and the winterizing kit onthe pump. Open the low point drains, open HW tank drain(outside).Then blow out all of my lines with the air adaptor(with 40 psi regulator installed on the city water connection). Close all the drains, and bypass the HW tank. Then use 2 gallons of RV antifreese to pump though the lines, outside shower,faucets, and drains(don't forget the P traps) and toilet.