Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
I had bought one of the Foscam's but unless you have a degree in port forwarding you better save yourself the effort. I returned it and bought a dropcam. It picks up whatever wireless signals there is and you select the network and go. Works great so we can keep check on our dog to make sure she is not a nuisance in the park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the D-Link system, and it works pretty seamlessly. You don't need to be a computer expert to set it up.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So I should return the Foscam and buy a Dropcam.....sounds like its a better deal...however, I still have to have a MIFI or WIFI, right....
Old 04-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
So I should return the Foscam and buy a Dropcam.....sounds like its a better deal...however, I still have to have a MIFI or WIFI, right....
Depending on your contract with Verizon, the MiFi can be a one-time charge and the data is bundled in with your phones.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Thats your call, if you are famaliar with port forwarding then by all means it is a cheaper camera but I am not sure what you have to do if you move it to another wireless system. The drop cam for me was a no brainer, there is an app you load and login and its there. You do still have to have a wifi signal. We use one of our Iphones at campgrounds and turn on the personal hotspot if there is not a campground signal available.

PS: I am not sure how much bandwidth the camera uses. We have never run out of our 10gb though.

If you don;t have access to a wireless signal then I think you are pure out of luck other than using a cell phone.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does the Verizon MiFi have a port plugin for the Foscam? I don't see it. So I'd have to have a router? What does it plug in to? I'm lost.... The foscam has a CAT5 cable that plugs in to a router then you can set it up and unplug it. I was told the Foscam would not run off of a wi-fi hot spot, which is what thie MiFi is??

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Does the Verizon MiFi have a port plugin for the Foscam? I don't see it. So I'd have to have a router? What does it plug in to? I'm lost.... The foscam has a CAT5 cable that plugs in to a router then you can set it up and unplug it. I was told the Foscam would not run off of a wi-fi hot spot, which is what thie MiFi is??

And you haven't even attempted to get it to work yet! You have your work cut out for you. I bought the same camera and thought that it would be cool to pan and zoom. Got it tried to follow the instructions, got lost, got PI$$ed put back in box and sent to amazon for refund. Read the reviews afterwards, had I read them before I would not have purchased. Lesson learned. Most claimed they couldn't get tech help. The drop cam was more money but was simple to setup and work. Plug it into the wall, sign into the app or online site with your login, select the wireless signal the camera finds you want, enter wireless login info and password if one is being used and off you go. You can also zoom in on the drop cam, you can hear sounds and you can talk through the camera, it really confuses the dog when you say "come here girl" lol
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh, no the Foscam works wonderful! I love it I can hear and talk on it and everything, but I set it up here at work off my laptop (plugged into the Cat 5 on the laptop) then unplugged it.

Actually, I had the Foscam guy came on my computer and do it for me, he set it up in a second, I called them and they did it for me so I had no trouble with it. But I'm trying to figure out how the MiFi would plug in to the Foscam with no CAT 5 on it.

But I did use it enough, got it running on my cell phone, its so cool, like expanding a picture or moving, the Foscam scans up or down, right and left just by moving the screen on the cell phone, it is a great product, but I just gotta figure out how to get it working with the MiFi. When I get the MiFi.......If I get the MiFi.....ugh.

But thanks Knightab!! Appreciate all the info!!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
With the MiFi, you should be able to use the WPS button to connect the camera, and then you wouldn't need a cat5 cable to initialize it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Oh, no the Foscam works wonderful! I love it I can hear and talk on it and everything, but I set it up here at work off my laptop (plugged into the Cat 5 on the laptop) then unplugged it.

Actually, I had the Foscam guy came on my computer and do it for me, he set it up in a second, I called them and they did it for me so I had no trouble with it. But I'm trying to figure out how the MiFi would plug in to the Foscam with no CAT 5 on it.

But I did use it enough, got it running on my cell phone, its so cool, like expanding a picture or moving, the Foscam scans up or down, right and left just by moving the screen on the cell phone, it is a great product, but I just gotta figure out how to get it working with the MiFi. When I get the MiFi.......If I get the MiFi.....ugh.

But thanks Knightab!! Appreciate all the info!!
Well good luck, sounds like you have it figured out. I was trying to set it up for wireless and that is where the port forwarding came in. nothing is ever easy in this life ya know! LOL
Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I can use the MiFi, take my laptop, and have the Foscam guy come in and set it up just like he did here on the office WiFi! I just have to make sure the laptop is with me when I am using the Foscam.

What an Idiot I Am!!!

Ok, I got it figured out!!!!!

Thanks folks!!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
What an Idiot I Am!!!

Guess that our work is done here.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like you are gonna have to put the foscam guy on the payroll! Is he fixing this over the internet? He is not physically coming to your location is he?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No the Foscam guy came in via internet and configured the computer for it.

Tags
camera