Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Larry, how is your data consumption with the Foscam? I'll be using it 3-4 hours a day checking intermittently for 3-4 days at a time while out on trips 3-4 times a year......how's that for estimating?

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #30

Do you have an Android phone or an iPhone?

Probably the easiest is to leave the camera hooked up to the laptop at home , and when you;re away you can access your home computer (and the camera application on it) by using the GoToMyPC app on your Android phone, or use this one for an Apple device.

Both apps are free, and you can watch the camera this way without buying more hardware.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #31
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Hey Larry, how is your data consumption with the Foscam? I'll be using it 3-4 hours a day checking intermittently for 3-4 days at a time while out on trips 3-4 times a year......how's that for estimating?
If you're asking me, I use the D-Link system. No data usage at all until you access the cameras. I don't think that it's a whole lot though for the brief amount of time that we look at them.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I have one camera up and running on my home wireless, and found out REAL QUICK how much data these things use when accessing them on my cell phone under the data usage.

Make sure you are on a wifi network !!

I used about 1.75 GB in 2 days and got an alert from Verizon that I'd used 75% of my data plan and it was only a week into the new month!! WOW!! These Foscams are DATA HOGS.

I also think I may not have been logging out of/shutting down/disconnecting the Foscam App when I was through on the cell phone. Another STUPID thing I didn't know I was doing was I also had my WIFI shut off on the cell phone.

Anyway, living and learning.

Getting ready to order the jetpack prepaid 3GB data plan for the Galveston trip coming up....just thought of something, does that Foscam when hooked through the laptop to a wifi hotspot continually use the data plan???

I better find out.....if it is gobbling data when I'm not even looking at it, then I need to figure out another route here....
Old 05-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Foscam just told me I cannot remotely view the camera on a wifi hotspot.

They told me I have to have a DSL Router.

How in the world am I going to make that work? Will the DSL Router hook up to the wifi hotspot?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have learned that I must have internet service, not 4G LTE Verizon MIFI, WIFI or anything else, to REMOTELY view my camera in the coach.

So how do I get internet service into the motorhome without using cellular?

I tried to see if DISH Satellite Receiver could provide internet, but according to DISH, it's not available.

This is maddening. I even found the Verizon 4GLTE Broadband Router, and thought it would work, but because it goes from the router over the cell phone it's not a true internet service which the Foscam has to have for its port forwarded separate IP address to view remotely.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #35

This is really an internet/cellular data trap that you have gotten into. Could get expensive.
I fly a quad rotor copter with my cell phone that has a HD video camera in it. It operates with WIFI to WIFI directly to my cell phone with no cellular data being used. The picture on my cell phone is great. Too bad Foscam doesn't use this type of system. Their system must have been designed for long distance (hundreds of miles) remote operation.

Best of luck to you.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What about having the Foscam upload to the cloud, which it can do through a wifi hotspot, then I could view the cloud remotely from the cell phone........?

It would only be delayed by a matter of a few minutes? And I could just re-record continually on the cloud??
Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #37
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
This was my respond to Kent's PM for the rest of you to see. The D-Link cameras are connected to the D-Link server through any Internet connection, and can be view through any device that can access the Internet. My home cameras are connected through a wireless access point that is connected to our Verizon FIOS and my RV cameras are connected through my Verizon MiFi Jetpack. I can view all of these cameras from my home computer, work computer, cell phone or laptop computer when it has an Internet connection. I only have data usage when I am accessing the cameras. Otherwise they just sit there.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Larry, so much appreciated.

So I've finally figured out that my idea will not work so I'll be sending back the second Foscam.

The first one is hooked up on the home network and I can view it no problems with the cell phone no matter where I am.

Foscam told me that I cannot view my cameras remotely through a wifi hotspot so, unfortunately,it just ain't gonna happen.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Foscam just told me I cannot remotely view the camera on a wifi hotspot.

They told me I have to have a DSL Router.

How in the world am I going to make that work? Will the DSL Router hook up to the wifi hotspot?
Exactly why I sent the foscam back that I bought and purchased a dropcam. I can connect it at the campground onto their wifi and view on phone. Downfall is it does need a wifi connection. I have used my wife's phone as a hotspot an transmitted but I have not done it enough to see how much data it uses but it can be done.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Exactly why I sent the foscam back that I bought and purchased a dropcam. I can connect it at the campground onto their wifi and view on phone. Downfall is it does need a wifi connection. I have used my wife's phone as a hotspot an transmitted but I have not done it enough to see how much data it uses but it can be done.
Can you view it on the phone outside the campground wifi? Say from 2-10 miles away?

If that's the case then I'm being told conflicting information.

Someone told me that ALL these cameras must have an internet (NOT WIFI HOTSPOT) connection to be viewed remotely, OUTSIDE the park wifi or hostpot I would set up.

Thanks !!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Can you view it on the phone outside the campground wifi? Say from 2-10 miles away?

If that's the case then I'm being told conflicting information.

Someone told me that ALL these cameras must have an internet (NOT WIFI HOTSPOT) connection to be viewed remotely, OUTSIDE the park wifi or hostpot I would set up.

Thanks !!
Well, like I said I believe that is true for the foscam but the dropcam only needs a wifi that is obviously connected to the internet and you can view on your phone from anywhere. I have and do this often. The dropcam is real simple, you pull the app up and it searches for a wifi connection, if there is a password you put it in and you are ready to go.

as an example, I bring my dropcam to your house and connect to lincolns wifi, I leave and come back to Ohio and I watch what happens at your house from mine. Now if you internet connection goes do it obviously wont transmit even though it will probably still be connected to your wifi hot spot.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
We use the dropcam to monitor the rv while the dog is in there and we are at store or whatever. So we have used many times by connection to the campgrounds wifi for the camera. Then I use my iphone from wherever I am to view it. You can actually use the mic so the person in earshot of the camera can hear you talk. Or in our case "STOP BARKING" lol

https://www.dropcam.com/#featured-video

They are more expensive than the foscam but at least useable

2014 Honda CRV Toad

Tags
camera