Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wireless trailer hitch camera

I need some help from the TT gang. I pull a pontoon boat with either my coach or my toad (2011 Chevy Colorado). I can use the backup camera on the coach to find the hitch, but I am looking into a wireless trailer hitch camera to ease hookup with the truck. I am looking at the Swift Hitch, swifthitch.com or the iball, iballhitchcam.com. Does anyone have any experience with either of these. I would appreciate your input.

Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
CD

A few years ago, I got a wireless backup camera from Costco. I attached a magnet to the camera so I could mount it to the hitch or tail gate and watch the hitch/ball when I backed up to it. It worked very well but all my trailers are about the same width as the PU and I can hook them up quicker than setting up the camera. If your boat is narrower than TV then that set up would work nicely.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I used to sell the Swift Hitch camera's - excellent product for a fair price...... A larger screen would be nice, but not really worth paying the extra money as screen is functional to back up where you need to be
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

I also use the Swift Hitch. It was so easy to use that I nailed it on my first try so I pulled my truck forward again just to see if it was a fluke. No more worries if a friend isn't around to back me in.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replys. Guess it's time to order. Gonna try the Swift hitch.

Glenn
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

My product (that I bought) is much lower tech and cheaper.... but it works for me. I use the one that utilizes 2 long high vis yellow poles that temporarily mount on the hitch and ball. When the 2 poles line up and the one on the ball just falls off, you are good to go! They are held in place by magnets.
You do have to put them on and take them off each time, but only takes seconds. Only time we had a small problem was when the pole on the hitch was put on "out of plumb" and this caused the alignment to be slightly off. Learned that lesson, and no more problems.
Tom

Tags
camera