Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Question Wiring a inverter with my converter

Hello Everybody, I just recently inquired a '79 Jayco Cardinal from a friend. A basic TT. I am completely remodeling this unit. I have a WFCO 8725. I also have a Xantex 1500 watt inverter. I found out that I can use the converter to charge my deep cycle battery. When we go camping we just go primitave. I would like to hook up both the converter and inverter incas we ever need the power since we never have electric when we camp. Im new to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking all over for directions on how to do this. Please help.

Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Differing ways to do this. A separate subpages with inverter powered circuits, and optionally a transfer switch. Wire inverter to existing circuits with transfer switch. Or fastest and least elegant is to plug the RV shore cord into the inverter (you must disable the converter when the inverter is on to avoid a charging loop).

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
I've done a economy version without all the fuss and expense and it works excellent.

Solar power

I opted for free standing solar panels for the reason I can park the RV in the shade and still put the panels out in the sun. This way I won't need A/C.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
1. Decide what you want to run from inverter.
A. Is it hard wired or is there a plug?
B. If it is hard wired, do you want to leave it that way and in or out of the inverter supply?
2. Do you want to select and de-select the inverter or always have in the circuit?

Many years ago I installed a Freedom 1000 inverter/charger in my cabin cruiser so I did not need to run the genny to keep my beer cold in the fridge. The fridge only uses about 100 watts when on, probably 40% of the time at most so I included one light circuit and a duplex outlet. The fridge is hardwired as is the duplex outlet, the lights are also but they are switched. When I did this installation I did not have many battery powered tools, mainly lights etc. so having a dedicated 120VAC outlet with 1000 watts available was pretty neat, my big plug in inverter was all of 150 watts and was leading edge.
My thoughts: If you use a 115VAC fridge put that on the inverter with selector switch to allow line or inverter. Microwave, never, they are seldom happy with inverters unless there is a major surplus of capacity. Lights, go led and no need for >12vdc. Heat, you have 12vdc fan and controls for gas, likewise HW. If you decide you can't live without TV get an LED that has a 120VAC to 12VDC converter and rewire the input to either a cigar lighter connection or hardwired 12vdc. Also, when installing a radio, get an HD radio, I prefer the Kenwood KDC-HD552U. HD let's you find more options on the dial without needing to subscribe to pay radio.
Keep us informed, updates with photo is better.
If you want to put the inverter in-line then consider a marine, make before break selector switch. http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...s/product/148/
If you feed it backwards then the supply is selected to the load. I use two and have two battery banks. It requires a drawing at my age but it is reasonably straight forward, minus martinis.
Better thougths, straighter thoughts tomorrow.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a generic post
For this discussion inverters come in several types.. First is a A/B selection, you want TRUE SINE WAVE, not MSW But that is not the primary reason for this post.

Stand alone: This type of inverter converts 12vdc to 120vac. ONLY, it does not charge batteries: The answer to your question of "Can I run 'em both" is yes. in fact you have no other choice.

IN-Line Inverter only.. (This is a very good inverter for say JUST a TV/Radio and related electronics) Same answer as above.
THe difference between this inverter and the first is that it has an AC in and if AC is coming in it passes it through, turning the inverter "off" or rather putting it in "Standby" mode.

Inline-Inverter/Charger with decent controls.. (I have a Xantrex Prosione 2.0 which is among this class) Now since I like the software in my Charge Wizard controlled converter much better than the Prosine.. I use the Wiz to charge things, and disable the charger module on the Prosine There is however an occasional "Issue" with the plug in type IntellaPower 9180 with wizard.. I sometimes accidently unoplug it (My bad) and when it's 3am, and raining, And I see the battery voltage going down... NICE to have that switch I can flip to ENABLED and go back to bed. There are also other times when I want the extra amps.

The last kind is an Inverter/Charger where you can not disable the charger.. AVOID.

Final note: Years ago I was looking at stuff at a high end electronics parts store.. They had a "power line conditioner" Now this device had 3 main modules.

Incoming power went to a CONVERTER which converted the 120vac to a DC voltage,, Likely 48 but the documentation did not say for sure,, Then there was a bank of rechargable batteires.. THEN there was an INVERTER which put out nice, clean, pure, Sine wave, 60HZ 120vac.

What you purpose (using an existing converter and adding an inverter) is, in fact, this system. and yes you can do it, and yes it works very well. and yes I sometimes use mine in that mode.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, inverter, wiring