Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

Wooohooo!

Still having a few odd problems with getting the trailer to pull nice, mostly balancing weight. But this was the last trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3452421472.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	23231

Name:	image-2027079472.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	23232

We got in a bit late and went to bed where we stopped without setting anything up

Name:	image-961929848.jpg
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	23233

Trying to figure out where to setup in the mud

Name:	image-2730650674.jpg
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	23234

Nice deep mud

Name:	image-214013769.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	23235

All set for funny, and didn't get stuck! Haha!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you can come back from camping in the mud and still say... "Wooohooo"... it was a successful trip.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are hving towing set up problems, post what you are experiencing and the type/brand of hitch and we can help with some pointers.

Getting an RV stuck does not list high on the fun activities.

Ken
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

@Rick, definitely successful! my husband just shakes his head at where I will go, but I am used to hauling livestock trailers, just a wee bit less to brake on them!
@Ken, I will probably be posting some questions again, you all are do very helpful, I am going I go play with my WD hitch first though because I think I just need to tweak it some more. Hubby comes home on Thursday, he can help this time
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey shaker - simplest fyi for wd hitch...
measure wheel wells before hitching,
hitch up,
measure wheel wells after and adjust to balance front and rear of tow vehicle...
that gets it very close and any more that that is getting into science

or was sway an issue and u don't have sway control ?

if so, that will be the first order of the day... good luck !
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Hey JohnBoyToo, I did all the measuring and writing it all down and adjusting the hitch down to the last hole. I took out some of the washers that the trailer place put in the ball head tilt and what I am wondering is can I take them all out?? My trailer is level with my truck and only changed the wheel well measures 1/2"( I measured all 4 wheel wells just to be sure). Thing is I'm really sketchy about having the ball head tilted back, I know it's supposed to help with leveling the trailer but going over bumps and loosing it off that ball.... Well you know... 😖. Anyway yup I have a sway bar on the trailer already and found out last time that having it too tight causes drag and more work for the truck and more fuel cost( these prairie winds can be terrible). Most of the time my problem is fish tailing and fuel loss, I'm thinking I need more air in my airbags and more stuff at the front of the trailer when this happens? But again can I tilt my ball head back to straight up? It will throw the weight back to the trailer axles again right? Sorry kinda scattered thoughts tonight...
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Washers in the ball head ?!?!?
I hope that's not what it sounds like to me as I've never heard of that....
please explain or post pics - maybe someone else is familiar with that ?

What brand hitch and sway control, cuz it sounds like it's not working
but the experts will be along in a bit to help -
too little tongue weight or too much can create issues too -
hard to tell from your first pic, but looks like the tt may be nose high ???

See you have a SRW pickup - what air are you running in your truck and trailer tires...
if they are too low, they will get 'squishy' (technical term ) and may cause side to side wobble.

look at the sidewall of your tires and placards (if stock tires) to see what they should be set at..

good luck, and you'll find the right sset up with practice !
Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

I don't have any picks right now but I will get some later today. The brand is UltraFab and it's the 1000 WD hitch. What I mean about the washers is the hitch has a tilt able head and to tilt it back towards the trailer you need to dismantle the hitch head and insert washers on the pin and then put everything back together. So because I have never used a WD with a hitch head ball tilt feature, the last time I had it apart I took out 4 washers (it had 8)(not wanting to screw up what was already setup by a supposed professional, now I know better). So now with my husband home to help we will remove the last of the washers and bring the ball back to straight up and down, where there I less chance of the trailer slipping off.....and I believe this will have the trailer nose up more but I will post pics and see what can be done. :/
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #9

As for the tires on the truck they have nitro in them.. From the dealership, I haven't decided on liking them or not, but all of them are at the right Psi, I check them regularly. The trailer I haven't checked since I came out of the mud, but like the pics and hitch I will be doing that today. The one thing I do know is that I need to get load rated tires for the truck right now I'm still on the dealer tires, $1200 for new load rated 20" tires and I don't have an extra set of rims yet.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #10

Sorry it was 40 Celsius yesterday and too hot to do anything but here are the pics of my WD hitch.

Name:	image-2093368441.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	626.0 KB
ID:	23374

Name:	image-4041170044.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	650.7 KB
ID:	23375

Name:	image-1047484862.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	781.2 KB
ID:	23376

See the tilt and the washers?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

I would think too that with tongue weight the tilt would increase and be worse.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #12

Ok so we have removed enough washers that the ball is sitting straight now but it is again 40 Celsius and we will try the trailer another day and update our progress once this heat way is over( end of the week) I think I will try doing all the measurements again with the hitch setup this way and see what I come up with, lucky husband is going back to work again mid week and gets to skip the tinkering LOL
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #13

Just an update I pulled the trailer over the mountains to Kamloops, BC, after removing the washers and straightening up the ball tilt, I stopped about another hour down the road and took up one more chain link in my WD bars and the trailer pulled wonderfully all the way. Of course that is with all the cargo that has any weight to it at the front of the trailer and anything light at the back. This trailer seems to want to ride REALLY heavy at the front. I will be on the next leg of the journey tomorrow morning to Noah's Ark campground near Revelstoke BC, for our small family reunion.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

40*C=104*F
IN CANADA?! Holy crap! We have been enduring drought and triple digit temps the last few weeks here in Indiana which with our humidity is ungodly misery. I've never dealt with high temps in less humid climates so I don't know what I'm missing but even so 104 is hot no matter the humidity and I would think that 85 is hot to you guys so 104 must be bakin! Good luck! Keep an eye on engine and trans temp in this weather towing with ac on; mine gets warm in the hills when it's over 90* out. I even have upgraded electric fans too and with ac on they are at full blast before thermostat would otherwise signal them on so it's "ahead of the game" so to speak. Also hot tires are no good. You're being very wise to keep checking pressure in em. It's easy to skip or forget.

If you're buying different wheels to run 2nd set of tires you can save a boatload of money and run 16's or 17's. But! make sure the wheel clears the brake calipers, pretty sure 16's will clear but verify before purchase, once mounted most places will not return tires and wheels even if not driven on. I am fairly certain 17's are standard on the basic trim package on those trucks meaning clearance is no issue. Anyway, 20's with lower profile tire should handle better, but the world has been using standard profile tires on 15's and 16's for decades with no problems. 20's are outrageous on price. The wheels aren't so horrible anymore but the crock is having to pay more money for less rubber in the tire lol. Good luck!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote