Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Also look at Andersen WD anti-sway. Good video on utube. I personally won't ever change back to a bar type.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #44

Ditto!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #45

For the person considering the 35' TT with a half-ton, check your payload. Generally payload is the first thing to be exceeded when towing travel trailers.

Then if you are miraculously under your payload limit, absolutely get a high quality WDH with built in sway control (not the friction bar type).

I'm very happy with my Blue Ox. It is a BIG improvement over the cheaper friction bar type.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Just read the thread. Some of the posts are quite concerning. Seems like some think the WDH is a miracle worker that can make a marginal tow vehicle into a super tow.

IMO a good WDH along with a properly matched tow vehicle is the best setup.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
It will depend on the truck and the trailer. Post that info and some pretty smart folks ( not me) can help you out.
I towed two trailers One PUP one TT, w/o sway controll.. ONE TIME EACH.. That was all it took for me to figure out I needed sway control.

These were light trailers so Equalization was not an issue (though I did add air bags to my tow vehicle).

Best advice is this:
Equlizer: Hook up and take a look if your wagon is dragon... (Mispell on purpose) equzlize

Sway control I will recommend, Period. May not need it but way easier if you have it.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #48

Just returned from first trip using an Andersen. Wish I had one 10 years ago, but then I would have had to develop it. It is wonderful if your trailer is in the weight range recommended. Smoother, quieter, much less harsh but it still gives the control and distribution of the heavy systems I have used in the past.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #49

Friction sway bars should be outlawed because they are unsafe. Anything less then a Hensley or simular setup should be the legal minimum for safety.

Most travel trailor s that I see on the highways are disaster s waiting to happen. Dont be cheap on safety.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Friction sway bars should be outlawed because they are unsafe.
Why?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Why?

Agreed. Why? Not that I use one, but they serve a purpose and are better than no sway control. Something is better than nothing. Mandating a minimum requirement is the pure principle of removing the intelligence from the common human and letting the government (in some form) control your intelligence.

"But it's for your safety and mine!" Get over it. The weight police, sway control police, safety police, etc on all the forums these days are ridiculous.

There are overloaded drivers that are obvious and the police can easily identify and deal with most of them (it's part of their job). "But we can't trust police because they're shooting everybody and acting like a thuggish clan..." We give no respect to our police officers and throw them into a general classification of "bad" because it's what the media portrays and everybody's hindsight is 20/20 when judging actions of others. Not saying anybody here is doing that, but it's a general theme is the social media world today.

Let's relax and help each other. Let's shake a cops hand and tell them "thank you for putting your life on the line day after day for my safety."

Let's help people understand why a better sway control hitch is better for them and their family and the people around them. Let's not be generic and say certain things "should be banned" because in doing so we're only asking for more "control" and more "government" to control our lives. Republican or Democratic Party affiliation is irrelevant. We're a community on this forum. Let's help each other and enjoy the fact that we are given the opportunity to do so.

2012 F150 EB FX4 Super Crew | 2011 Keystone Outback 250RS
Arizona
LGCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #52
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Well said!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCope View Post
Agreed. Why? Not that I use one, but they serve a purpose and are better than no sway control. Something is better than nothing. Mandating a minimum requirement is the pure principle of removing the intelligence from the common human and letting the government (in some form) control your intelligence.

"But it's for your safety and mine!" Get over it. The weight police, sway control police, safety police, etc on all the forums these days are ridiculous.

There are overloaded drivers that are obvious and the police can easily identify and deal with most of them (it's part of their job). "But we can't trust police because they're shooting everybody and acting like a thuggish clan..." We give no respect to our police officers and throw them into a general classification of "bad" because it's what the media portrays and everybody's hindsight is 20/20 when judging actions of others. Not saying anybody here is doing that, but it's a general theme is the social media world today.

Let's relax and help each other. Let's shake a cops hand and tell them "thank you for putting your life on the line day after day for my safety."

Let's help people understand why a better sway control hitch is better for them and their family and the people around them. Let's not be generic and say certain things "should be banned" because in doing so we're only asking for more "control" and more "government" to control our lives. Republican or Democratic Party affiliation is irrelevant. We're a community on this forum. Let's help each other and enjoy the fact that we are given the opportunity to do so.

2012 F150 EB FX4 Super Crew | 2011 Keystone Outback 250RS
Arizona
I found this post to be well written but contradictory and confusing.

Talking about weight police etc is inflammatory and serves no purpose. These are folks who believe in following the manufacturers rules and using common sense. They are trying to help the folks who are trying to learn.

There is a statement to mandating a minimum requirement takes allows the government to control your intelligence and then a statement that the police are to enforce an overloaded vehicle. Without a minimum requirement what are the police to enforce? I would sooner have a government rule for the police to follow than an officers view of what is acceptable. If I know the rules I can follow them or not depending on my view of "common sense".

I do agree that the forums should be used as a tool to help folks who are trying to learn the correct and proper way to create a safe environment for them to transport themselves and their family on outings with their units.

Unfortunately too many 'opinions' based on subjective experiences and attitudes cloud the issue with controversial statements.

There is no secret to successful towing. Selecting the right combination of trailer and tow vehicle is the first step to creating a well balanced rig. Adding weight and sway control will only improve the combination. Those with the attitude "if you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space" are not doing a service to someone who is trying to learn about setting up their first time rig.

Just as a side note. While traveling through Nebraska recently I observed they have a sign at their weigh scales "All trucks and pickups with trailers must report". Did not notice in any other states but wonder if this is a one off or a sign of things to come?
Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
The real simple answer is....Weight distribution, sway control and electronic brake control........DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT all 3.

Memo: If you do not have a transmission cooler on your tow vehicle go to a good transmission repair shop and have one installed.

You will then have the minimum equipment to tow safety.

Happy Camping.
Very good advise, I have had almost every kind of hitch setup(Except the ProPride) and by far my favorite so far is the Equalizer 4 point sway. I am on my second one, and would never leave home without it. I do a lot of towing and my camper is only 24' but like said the comfort and safety is worth every penny.
UGA Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #55

The people who fear government controls are the ones who need it the most. Could you imagine if they scrapped all road safety laws and instead left it to our own common sense and judgement.

Tt s with the cheap sway bars or none at all are a safety concern. We cant trust the rv dealer to set you up safely and it cant be left to the rv owner who in most cases will opt for the cheaper setup.

We need mandatory safety minimums with these wobbly tts.

Maybe have every travel trailer built with a Hensley hitch permanent ly installed.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Tt s with the cheap sway bars ... are a safety concern.
Quote:
safe
sāf
adjective
1. protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed or lost.
You still haven't explained why they are so inherently dangerous that they should be outlawed. You've only given an opinion. I have an opinion that towing anything is a safety concern, but that doesn't seem to stop folks, or me, does it? Does it stop you from sharing the road with these risky devices?

(This is where you show us non-biased evidence to back up your point)

Tags
weight