Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Wow what a weekend

As a good getaway weekend but wow.... Get to campsite after dark. No fun. Can not reserve specific sites at Texas state parks. That sucks. Got assigned a pull thru that was too sharp a horse shoe and too short for our rig. Should not have even attempted. Took almost 20 min to back out of the sites in the dark with wife on radio giving directions (bless her heart...she tries). Now I am pissed at myself for trying. I knew it would not work. Then have to find an open spot in the park. Pass three sites w/ tents in three of the best most perfect spots in the full hookup area. Now more upset but should not be, they paid their money and got there before me. (but I still do not like that Texas state parks you can only reserve a spot not a specific site. Even though by my self and the tents had reserved spots, if that had been the only spot left, I would have been screwed. But that is another soap box). Did find another spot. Only one left open. Not bad. Very light bend in the horseshoe pull through. Is long enough. Not level at all. Blocks out the wazoo on the front stabilizers. And three levelers on the door side. Trees all the way to the pad so can not put down awning. There is a two foot drop off about a foot from the pad which the stairs come to the end of the pad. So don't be in a hurry coming out the coach or you a screwed hooked up the water and went inside to find water gushing as it had busted the hot water line connector o the water heater. Found the bypass valves for the heater with trial and error so not a total loss. Temps over a 100 ever day and into the evening so not sure i would use hot water anyway. Then first night the a/c freezes up and starts dripping in the coach. Glad i woke up to the dripping and that did not go on all night. But a good clear southern sky view. Yea. First time camping we have had that so pulled out the wineguard mp1 carry out dish. Spent two hours on that. Finally called direct tv (since wineguard was closed for he long weekend) to find out that even though the hr24 receiver was listed as compatible it does not supply power to the lnb. Good thing I had not cleared the DVR in a week. And last. Just bought a top of the virgin mobile broadband to go hotspot and $50 of service to find out that sprint does not have cell service in the middle of his park.
But was still a good time it get away and relax.
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
You should have joined me at Lake Brownwood State Park. There were plenty of open sites. But it was HOT there too.

What park did you stay? Isle duBois?

It is a shame that Texas State Parks do not allow specific site reservations. But, I doubt they will change their policy.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't hear me bad mouthin' your trouble...but here in the land of fruits, nut, and flakes - a dude has to be resourceful or the granole eatin', Joan Baez music lovin', Volvo driving, REI tent campers will get every good spot.

We have gone so far as to arrive a day early, set-up the rig and drive home to work the next day. It's well worth 1 day fee to get THAT SWEET spot.

God bless Texas, but come visit California to cool off
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

I have the T-Mobile hotspot. Same thing with them, they advertise 4G speeds, but I think that's only if you're sitting in the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Anywhere else it's Edge, which I think is an acronym for dial-up. The wife and I were out this Labor Day weekend in Pa. and had a good time. We left Tuesday morning just before the heavy rains hit.
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
You should have joined me at Lake Brownwood State Park.
LBSP is my current favorite of the SP's so far. We were trying out Cleburne State Park this weekend.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray

LBSP is my current favorite of the SP's so far. We were trying out Cleburne State Park this weekend.
Do either have full hook up? Our fav so far has been Whitney
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexas View Post
Do either have full hook up? Our fav so far has been Whitney
Yes, Lake Brownwood and Cleburne State Parks have full hook-up sites.

Here's a link for site types a Texas State Parks:
TPWD: Campsites

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote