Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

X chock alternative

Ok so to help with floor vibration after set up , I purchased one c-chuck. Yes I'll say it helped, so I was going to purchase a second one for the other side. Well went camping before I did that. So on a what the heck thought I used a ratchet strap that I had in truck for the other side. That was successful in performing improvement to the point that I don't think I'll buy a second one. Plus it's less cumbersome to hall and install. Maybe the fact that x chuck pushes, and strap pulls together each countering the others movement.

I think I may have just stumbled onto something. I'll post after various set up conditions. Try it let me know what you think. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1475425271.093032.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	140465Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1475425280.172843.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	140466
Johnnyb5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Good idea! Here is my homemade alternative. Works very good.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The strap idea is a good one, but how can that be easier to install than an X-chock?

X-chock: place between tires, run wrench until firm. Done. Two steps, one sentence long.

Strap: Push one end through spoke in wheel, then reach behind wheel, pull through enough strap to reach through spoke of other wheel, reach from behind and grab end of strap, pull through to meet the ratchet, tighten ratchet. Done. Six steps, one short paragraph.

The nylon strap is slowly being destroyed by sunlight. The X-chocks are made of steel, no UV damage possible.

So, for more reasons than I already have two of them, I'm sticking with the X-chocks. You're idea is a good one, I just don't believe it is the better one. It's good thinking for how to solve a problem with what you have, though, and I give you a virtual pat-on-the-back for that.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

I think the strap idea is more 'mental' then 'actual' improvement

Strap thru the 2 wheels will not stop any movement/rotation of tires.

X-chock between the 2 tires will limit that for/aft movement
Wedge tire chocks stop wheel rolling
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I think the strap idea is more 'mental' then 'actual' improvement

Strap thru the 2 wheels will not stop any movement/rotation of tires.

X-chock between the 2 tires will limit that for/aft movement
Wedge tire chocks stop wheel rolling

Agreed. Pretty much useless to use the straps.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote