Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Yanking The Oven !!!

Just a thought rite now, but, has anyone removed their oven ? For me (bad back ) it's real pain to almost to lay on the floor to lite it, the wife complains about the smell of propane after doing so, and we hardly ever use it, Just seems like the space could be put to better use. Would still want to keep the stove top.

Any thoughts ?????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Oven = storage space

I had the same issue. Just put in a convection/microwave.

Handy folks have removed them & made nice cabinets.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

I'll second NRR. Remove it and put in a nice storage area. If you don't have one get a convection microwave.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Get rid of the oven. This is what can happen if you don't get the oven pilot light lit and find out about it after and try to start it again. Notice there are no burn marks anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	123591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho3.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	123592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho5.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	123593  
Old 04-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

When we bought ours it came with a stove top, no oven, and a convection microwave. We really thought we needed/wanted an oven. Our dealer told us to buy it this way, try it out and if we found that we really still wanted the oven he would put one in at his cost. We have had it for two years now and have not missed the oven at all. We seldom cook in the MH anyway, as I BBQ most meats, and my wife has been able to bake cookies ect in the Microwave. So far I would still prefer the drawer space over the oven.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I am the odd one that loves my little propane oven. We dry camp a lot, and I use it once or twice a week at least. I use my microwave to store kitchen towels! I especially love to roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower in it. I bought some smaller pans that work better for just the two of us. I have made a few cakes and cobblers, but I generally use my Dutch ovens for those, especially the little 8" which works for the two of us.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #7

We use our propane oven frequently, not only to bake things. Some things just taste better when baked or reheated in an oven. We also dry camp some. We could use the microwave by powering it with our inverter, but rarely do so
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

Never used mine ever, we use the nuwave oven for everything
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use our propane oven all the time. I'm 45 so bending down to light it isn't a big deal. We dry camp often so it is obviously the best choice. If you are careful and have any sense at all you won't end up like the trashed RV in pictures above. If you ask me, Darwin found them... common sense folks
Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
3rd coach.
2 no oven
1 oven
We like the no oven much more.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #11

If I ever took my oven out of my camper, my wife would make me a very unhappy camper. You can go to almost any hardware store that sells parts for a BBQ and add a separate igniter either to your existing ignitor or add an igniter from the BBQ just a push button that will light your stove and oven also. Not hard to do and you will not have to bend over anymore. Advice from a 65 year old with a bad back. Enjoy camping. Dusty
dustyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The last RV with an oven was our '98 Santara, none of the rest that followed (2000 Dutch Star, 2002 Dutch Star and now the Magna) have had them. Went to the Advantium micro/convection units as factory order and haven't been sorry yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Only things my wife wanted or cared about in our last purchase, a queen bed, at least three burners on the stove, and an oven. She loves to bake and it's used on every trip. We have more storage space than we use so even if we didn't use the oven it would stay.

A convection microwave is pretty useless when you like to boondock.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

We have a convection/microwave and no oven in our unit. When run in convection mode it works just like an oven. We baked potatoes wrapped in tin foil last night and muffins this morning. Only reason for a gas oven is boondock baking without having to run the generator. And if you do allot of that it could be a good reason.

My wife is pretty fussy about ovens and she is sold on the convection microwave. She has found bake times in convection mode to be about the same as a gas oven. It seems to do a more even job baking than the small gas ovens. Strangely enough she has found use for the extra storage vs having a gas oven and microwave so there is that bonus as well.

Tom
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote