Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Your personal inspection schedule

Hi, we bought a KZ BHS 16ft last June, I want to get it in two times before the warranty is up so I am taking it in tomorrow. We had a Coleman Royale pop-up camper for twenty years and I never did a thing to it really. So enter the travel trailer and its various inspections.

How often do you inspect your roof chalking. My dealer says every six months?

We have the dexter easy lube, how often should you pump in new grease.

What else can cause big money repairs that I should be on the look out for?

We have a Norcold frig, been working great but sure do read a lot about those. Can not believe they are still in business.

Our frame is a BAL assembly, I have read a lot about (forget the spelling) Lippert?? frames that makes 97% of the frames on the road is the BAL frame better.

Again taking it in tomorrow, do I need to put the battery back in? I assume it is no big deal it is winterized right.

Thanks in advance, just waiting for spring to roll around so we can get back to what we love to do.

KZ Escape Spree 16BH
Ford F-150

VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
If caulking is done correctly it should not need attention but every couple of years. I personally feel this is both a profit center for dealer and a weasel out if you do not have it done so the warranty can be voided. I will take a look at mine this year as I clean and wax. The frame is spected by the manufacturer and they either got it right or they did not, ours is all aluminum. I had to have mine reinforced (they got it wrong). I will however be under the trailer checking the propane line joints for leaks and adjusting the brakes and will check the welds for cracks. I replaced the Dexter Chinese bearings with SKF and replaced the seals and hand packed with synthetic grease and will not touch them for five years. There is as much problem with too much grease as too little. Yes you do need to put the battery in and there really is no reason to take it out as long as it is fully charged. Just pull the negative terminal

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Thanks, Shadowcatche. After we bought this I started frequenting a lot of forums and was struck by how many people agree quality/build suck, in todays RV's. I thought your post was interesting.

Today is the first day I got on a ladder to inspect caulking on this new TT. It looked good and I noticed how they caulked the the fiberglass meeting the roof up front It looked like a pie crust. Two long straight caulk lines, form side to side. I then noticed the they criss crossed back and forth between the two chalk lines, as if it made a stronger bond caulk overall. They used a lot of the caulk, and it is still in good shape. I had a hard time believing I should be worried about it since getting just last June. I have always sucked at caulking. I so far am happy with the dealership a purchased from I think they have did a good job getting the TT ready for delivery.
I found all your points a little different and refreshing in a way. The comments about the frame, and bearing replacement is interesting as well.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
My routine has been to inspect the roof each time I clean, which is usually a couple of times during the season. However, this depends on where a trailer is stored and climate. I know that in high humidity areas, rubber roofs can get a lot of mold and need more frequent cleaning. With our move to Ohio, I'm lucky to have found reasonably year round storage for our new trailer, which should really help with roof seam maintenance.

I've always found it a good idea to really inspect everything and do maintenance when I prep the trailer at the beginning of the season. That's when I do things such as lubricate hinges, inspect and clean the areas around the water heater and furnace, sanitize water tank, etc. I also keep a can of dry lube in the trailer at all times and use it on the stabilizers as needed.

And, quite often, I'll do a few odd jobs while camping such as clean a window or tow, clean and organize the storage areas etc. but this works for us as we're retired and our trips can be very leisurely. Back when the boys were home and we were working, camping time was too precious to spend time working on the trailer!

I think the most important factor is to just regularly look over a camper with an "eagle eye" to catch any potential problems as early as possible.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
We are about to hitch up and take to the dealer. Some KZ's have a two year warranty not ours. To bad they cannot be creative and cover all units for two camping seasons since most units are sitting for the winter months. The warranty is useless during these months, if you know what I mean.