Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #15

I use the gray 5/8 Zero G hose. Last summer at Grand Lake St Mary's in Ohio, i was in full hook up, and was approached by a park ranger and was told only white or blue hoses are accessible for drinking water. He asked me to remove that gray hose from the city water hook up.
Barry789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #16

That word should have been acceptable not accessible.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry789 View Post
I use the gray 5/8 Zero G hose. Last summer at Grand Lake St Mary's in Ohio, i was in full hook up, and was approached by a park ranger and was told only white or blue hoses are acceptable for drinking water. He asked me to remove that gray hose from the city water hook up.
Change accessible to acceptable
Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #18
tcg

I can't speak to the water supply question but...

I discovered these hoses a few years ago and they are little tanks.

I use them in my business where they get rolled, unrolled, hooked up, driven over, dragged along concrete, gravel, nail ridden wood docks, etc...

I replace them every couple years.

The one I use at home has never been replaced because it doesn't see the abuse.

I don't use one in my RV because I like to see the white drinking hose and never get it mixed up with my wash hose.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #19

We use 2 25' Marine and RV for the drinking water and one of the gray ones for flushing the black tank. 5 year guarantee.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #20

Trip Report

Well, Tuffr2 asked me to report on our cold-weather trip this weekend, so here goes.

We travelled to Fort Mountain State Park near Calhoun, GA on Firday, 1/18. By the way, great park. Great staff. Great hiking. Beautiful views and cascades. Anyway, we checked the weather forecast and predictions showed the lows to be in the 20's. The trailer handled these temps just fine. No freeze problems and with the normal propane heat, we were cozy and warm.

Rained 14 straight hours on Saturday, so it was all day in the camper. That night was back down in the 20's but again, plumbing was fine and we were comfortable and without the heat running constantly. However, the rain the day before along with the cold did present a problem.....frozen locks! Our passthru, toolbox locks, and power padlocks were all frozen. Had to use hand propane torch and de-icer to resolve that. Again, more of an inconvenience than a real problem.

Sunday was in the high 20's all day, and again, no problems. What we didn't know (because we had NO cell service what-so-ever) was that the forecast had changed. The low on Sunday night went down to 9-degrees! At 1:30 am, the pipes were fine. At 4:30 am...….well, nothing. No running water. We were frozen! Also, the gray and black tank valves were frozen shut so I couldn't drain them!

Needless to say we had a very sick feeling that we had gambled and lost! We had visions of thousands of dollars worth of repairs.

After breaking camp at dawn and driving home (1.5 hours). We unpacked and I hauled it to CW of Chattanooga. They thawed the trailer overnight in their shop and did a full-pressure test the next day. They also thawed and checked for any leaks in the tank valves.

Praise God that there were NO leaks!! No problems at all! We had dodged a bullet. It was a $330.00, cheaply-learned lesson. Basically, we learned that our trailer can handle temps in the 20's with no problem, but any lower and we risk problems unless we skirt and heat the underside of the trailer (too much hassle for just a weekend trip).

Other lesson: during cold trips, always carry a small propane torch and lock de-icer. Also, if it rains a great deal with freezing temps, cover your trailer cable plug to keep ice from fowling your braking.

Safe travels!
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what my dear ol Dad would call a bought and paid for lesson.Glad it turned out ok.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvette85 View Post
That's what my dear ol Dad would call a bought and paid for lesson.Glad it turned out ok.
Yup! Glad it was a relatively cheap one......compared to what it could have been!
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #23

0 g hose

We are full time time using the 5/8 grey zero g hose it's been under full pressure now for 6 months no problems I like it much better than the old white hose.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote