Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking for a comfortable replacement for my RV's uncomfortable sleeper sofa mattress, I came to this and another forum back in May and asked for some advice. Based upon several opinions and the limited amount of research that I completed, I decided to replace the mattress with an Air Dream air-over-coil mattress, designed specifically for sleeper sofas. This mattress seemed to work for others so I assumed it had a good track record. I ordered an Air Dream and placed it in my RV's sleeper sofa. On the initial installation, the sofa was much more difficult to fold back up. It was physically thicker than the original mattress but I assumed all was ok.

After my third use of the mattress, it became increasingly more difficult to fold up. I pulled the mattress up and looked it over. To my horror the mattress had suffered major tear damage along the bottom seams.

I contacted Ty Owens, who runs Air Dream. Ty was very nice and apologetic. He offered to refund me $100 of my original $319 purchase price, and send me a replacement non-air mattress that he said should work just fine in my sleeper.

The replacement mattress arrived yesterday, and I was anxious to see how it fit. It seemed to be thinner than the Air Dream but I noticed that it was somewhat wider that the OEM mattress that came with the sofa.. I folded up the sleeper mechanism with the replacement mattress inside. It was just as difficult to fold up as the Air Dream. I opened the sleeper back up and examined the mattress, and found that it had already torn, after being folded up just once. I thought that there may be an issue with my sleeper sofa itself, so I took the mattress inside the house and tried it on our La-Z-Boy sleeper sofa in our den. Same issue...wouldn't completely fold up.

Disappointed, I re-contacted Ty at Air Dream and asked for a refund. I had done my job by measuring my original mattress and sleeper sofa when ordering and according the Air Dream website, their mattress should have worked. Ty was again very courteous, but said that since both mattresses had been opened, he could not offer me a full refund. He did however give me a partial refund of $160 (instead of the $100 promised earlier), which was roughly half of my purchase price.

While I applaud Air Dream for their customer service, I will have to warn any potential customers of what they might run into should they install an Air Dream mattress.

If anyone wants either mattress, they can have them for the price of gas, just drop by. Otherwise they'll be sitting at the curb for the garbage truck...I can't use them.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig, Thanks for the heads-up. I would like something better on my sleeper also but it looks like not that one.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

In regard to Air Dream Sleeper Sofa Mattress: Sending a notification to all that there are Foam Toppers or Memory Foam Pillow-Top Mattresses that are made specifically to upgrade comfort, flexibility as well as durability. RV Upgrades sells the Memory Foam Toppers in different sizes anywhere from 34x74 to 76x80. The price ranges anywhere from $186.64 to $376.04 depending on the size. The foam toppers upgrade your current mattress with the best in space agae technology, Viscoelastic memory foam. This mattress topper has 2" of 3 lb Viscoelastic memory foam and is heat and pressure sensitive allowing the mattress topper to adjust to your body, giving you greater support. Memory foam is also hypoallergenic, and prevents bed bugs, bacteria, mold and dust mites. You get a washable zippered cover with the foam topper.

This might be an option if looking for more comfort. If interested you can contact RV Upgrades M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM Eastern Standard Time.
RVupgrades.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RVupgrades.com:
Sending a notification to all that there are Foam Toppers or Memory Foam Pillow-Top Mattresses that are made specifically to upgrade comfort, flexibility as well as durability.
Can these foam toppers be folded up inside a sleeper sofa, or are they primarily for a regular RV bed? I'm looking for something that will fold up inside the sleeper. I don't want something that I have to remove and try and find storage space for.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like an answer to that one also. Please.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

I can totally relate to your bedding issues. We are in a 2009 Coachmen Prism (25') and a sleeper sofa all that will fit. After three air mattress on top of the mattress, we have settled on a high density foam topper with memory foam. Yes, we have to store it in the space above cab and put it on the bed every night. Having been in the furniture business for over 10 years, there is NO COMFORTABLE MATTRESS FOR A SLEEPER SOFA. The reason being it has to be able to collapse into the sofa when folded up. Now that we can get a decent nights sleep with this removable topper, the stupid bed frame has broken on one side (no, we were doing any fancy f-----). We are currently working with Coachmen, but as always their rep has to give the final okay for a replacement.
You should see how small the screws are that hold the arm up for this frame-no wonder one of the arms broke.
Pipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can vouch for the added comfort provided by a memory foam topper. While we have removed the sleeper sofa from our motorhome, due to some home improvement projects, we have been sleeping on a queen sleeper sofa in our stick house for a week. The crummy inner spring mattress is terrible so we added a 2 1/2" memory foam topper. While it does not rival our Tempurpedic mattress, it sleeps much better with the mattress topper. The sofa will not fold up with the topper in place...it must be taken off and stored elsewhere.