Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Battery Post Advice Requested

We have a 2017 Discovery LXE 40D that we purchased in March 2017 in storage plug into 50 amps service. We brought the coach to REV (Dallas) and one the problems we were having is the batteries would show low after about 30 minutes to hour running the inverter, TV and fridge. REV said the problem was a loose battery cable. Fast forward to now - We turn off the inverter and unplug from shore power and the batteries are show 11.9 votes in less than 5 minutes with just lights on low battery warning on Fire Fly Panel. I have check specific gravity and water looks fine and I check water levels every 30 days. Bulk charge show 14.2 volts - Float shows 13.6 volts, disconnect from shore power shows 13.2 but 5 minutes later they show 11.9 volts. Talk to my trusted RV tech and he said if the bad battery shows good specific gravity they need to be pulled, fully charged and load tested each battery to determine which batterie(s) are bad. The tech asked if I ever run the batteries down and I haven’t but when I picked it up from REV the house batteries were at 10.5 volts and that was when I noticed voltage so don’t how low they really were. He said rather with all of them be questionable than go thought the trouble of load testing each battery he would recommend just replace all of them and save the labor/time and you will have know good batteries. I had back surgery and can't lift so what ever I do is going to be have be done by someone else so labor cost is a concern. It is out warranty so up to me. Any Advice and Rev claims it never happened...
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
With your description I would replace. Two choices 6volt deep cycle or 12 volt DEEP CYCLE(not marine DEEP CYCLE). At least Four batteries are the norm and some units with the residential refer go with six. Depending on where you are, not a problem for a battery ship to replace as part of the cost of the new set of batteries. For me two choices either Trogon T105, T125, or T145, most common T105's. Other choice Interstate 6 volt or 12 volt and again true deep cycle batteries. With four batteries the T105 size you will have at 50% DOC about 220 amp hours usable. With the 12 volt you will have 240 amp hours.

LEN
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Went to a local RV shop and ask and was told I would very luck to get 30 minutes out of 6 ea 6 Volt batteries and 3000 watt inverter. So now going to have to ask I'm I expecting to much which I doubt but have to ask? How long have you boondocked with a residential fridge, couple Wallys, microwave on and NOT running and some lights? Hopefully that more than 30 minutes.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Run from that shop they know nothing. Some of the main manufacturers went from 4 to 6 6 volt batteries when a residential were installed. I do not have a residential my self but camp with many who do. With 4 to 6 batteries they run the Gen 2 hours morning and 2-3 hours evening and do fine. Several who have solar and 600-800 watts and Sun don't run the Gen at all. I accidentally ran two electric heaters on the batteries 4 for two hours before I caught the mistake dumb but the batteries survived, point being that is like running 4 refers on a 100° day.

LEN
Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 12v battery is considered 100% DISCHARGED AT 11.90-VOLTS, and I have always read NEVER allow to go below 50% charge (12.2-volts) or it does PERMANENT DAMAGE, so any battery at 10.5 volts is trash beyond repair.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf State_of_charge_12_volt_batteries.pdf (140.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Went to a local RV shop and ask and was told I would very luck to get 30 minutes out of 6 ea 6 Volt batteries and 3000 watt inverter. So now going to have to ask I'm I expecting to much which I doubt but have to ask? How long have you boondocked with a residential fridge, couple Wallys, microwave on and NOT running and some lights? Hopefully that more than 30 minutes.
We have the batteries in my signature, and solar, we don't have a residential fridge. If you haven't already done it, change all your bulbs to LED, I leave the microwave unplugged when not using it. We run everything else on batteries and solar, Lights, Pathway satellite antenna, 2 wally receivers, 2 TV'S, surround sound, c-pap, charge phones, computer sometimes I run a power tool. The point is with 4 good quality 6 volt golf cart batteries you should be okay, and don't forget a good battery monitor. If you do much boon docking a little solar help would go a long way. Also I always unplug electronics when were not using them.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, battery