Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
California has found that life in general causes cancer. I wouldnt worry about drinking water from that hose. I've seen that same warning about Ca. and cancer on many products. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Even fishing lures bought in PA have the California cancer warning on them. Does that mean that the fish I catch might get cancer? Or that I might get lead poisoning from eating the fish I catch with that lure?

I think that where some warnings are concerned, I would rather be blissfully ignorant and just go on living life.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Miklas:
Even fishing lures bought in PA have the California cancer warning on them. Does that mean that the fish I catch might get cancer? Or that I might get lead poisoning from eating the fish I catch with that lure?

I think that where some warnings are concerned, I would rather be blissfully ignorant and just go on living life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it means while handling them you can get lead on your hands which will then abosrb into your skin. It may be a trace amount but if you were to do it often enough it could, possibley be poisonous. Christmas lights and certain other products now tell you to wash your hands immedidately after handling them due to the lead particals they have on the surface of the wire coating.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #17

Here in the Mid West I see at least 50% of RVers using nearly every color of hose for their water supply. I use white, but I have no more knowledge about its construction than those that use standard garden hoses. I do know the white are marginal quality at best.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #18

We normally use a white drinking water hose. Our current white hoses came from an RV store. Our previous white hose both leaked (long one and a short one.. actually 2 short ones) from the day we bought them from Wal-Mart. Got fed up with Wal-Mart and drove up to the nearest RV store (50 miles away) to replace the hoses. Currently using a regular rubber garden hose due to the long distance we have to run from the RV to the water pipe. We have a short white drinking water hose quick-connected between the RV and our whole house filter (the kind that filters out 99.9% of chemicals, pesticides, cysts and lead). The garden hose is on a quick-connect to the in side of the water filters. I have both a sediment filter and the whole house filter connected together and sitting in a 5 gallon lidded bucket. They connect thru the side of the bucket with a quick-connect system. We do not hook up water without running it thru the filters... ever. I worry more about the chemical, pesticides & guardia cysts in the water supply (we are in a huge farming area) than the trace amounts of lead that may or may not be leaching from the garden hose. I do have to wonder, how many of you who are so worried about using garden hoses have copper water pipes in your homes? The solder used in most copper connections has lead in it which can leach into the water supply. There is lead free solder but it doesn't flow like the kind with lead. Also some faucets (mostly older ones) have small amounts of lead in them as well.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cubey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Miklas:

I think that where some warnings are concerned, I would rather be blissfully ignorant and just go on living life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it means while handling them you can get lead on your hands which will then abosrb into your skin. It may be a trace amount but if you were to do it often enough it could, possibley be poisonous. Christmas lights and certain other products now tell you to wash your hands immedidately after handling them due to the lead particals they have on the surface of the wire coating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cubey, I own an Injection molding business (plastics) here in california and the warning doen't just mean that there is traces of lead and to wash your hands. Alot of the time it just says not to ingest, like on all our plastice we use here. It COULD or MIGHT have traces any one of hundreds of items that is used in the processing of that item california feels might cause cancer.
Marty
Old 05-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #20

EVERY THING CAUSES CANCER IN CALIFORNIA.
biglarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by full-timer:
Well I bought some of those hoses and have been using them for 7+ years. I didn't read the back of them. So the warranty is as claimed.I haven't had cancer,of course I've not been to California.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too! I have been to CA, though once was enough. It's called the left coast for more than one reason. When I was a teenager we used any rubber hose we could afford for drinking, water transfer, etc. I don't think white hoses were even made in the 50's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I race raido controlled cars and mountain bikes, and just about every part I buy for them has the Claifornia warning on it. I don;t pay much attention to that anymore as I have found that everything casues cancer in California. I personally dont drink tap water at any campground anyway. I only use bottled water for drinking and cooking. My guess is the water it saelf is more hazardess for than the hose you use to get it. Desides, I am pretty sure water is known to cause cancer in Claifornia
Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #23

It is not the color of the hose but rather what it is made of that is important for potability concerns. Since people tend to associate white with potable, most RV hose for drinking supplies tends to be white - but other colors are available.

You can often tell just by taste.

If you thoroughly flush the normal garden hose before using it for drinking water, it will generally be safe enough. It is water sitting in the hose leaching the plastic from the walls that creates the taste and the potential health problems.

US public water supplies can generally be considered safe for drinking unless noted otherwise. Even the sources out in the boonies have to be tested frequently and often treated as well.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You guys that spend the big bucks to buy bottled water should check them out. They are just filtered water. Put a filter on your hose and save.

Just a sign that advertising works. Tell the public long enough and loud enough that bottled water is better for you and the rest is history.
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #25

My guess is that you MIGHT get enough chemicals leaching into the hose if it was full for a week then purged. Sooner or later, like the smell of paint, a new car, or a smelly hose, these chemicals will vent and things will be fine. I have filled the RV's with the same garden hose for the last 20 years and I'm still standing. That old hose lost it's "hose" taste 19 years ago.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #26

Well I live in california and yes for some reason our government seems to label everything as cancer causing. Most of us normal residents just ignore the warnings and go on using things the way we always have. You can't live life always worrying about what might happen. Heck...I might get cancer from hauling my RV on highways which causes me to inhale cancer causing exhaust emissions but I'm not going to stop RVing.lol I bet if you look at the packaging of those hoses bought at RV stores and walmart you'll see california cancer warnings on them too. I'd be really surprised if you didn't anyway. We tend to label everything as possible cancer causing. I think there was even a scare that stated that "hamburger" could possibly cause cancer here in California back when I was a kid.lol

1988 Coleman Columbia PUP
Rick Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #27

I think you may find that these warnings are there as a direct result of lawsuits that have been filed by someone claiming to have been injured. Some even by people from other states.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:33 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club

Before I retired I ran into this while purchasing cleaning supplies for our Maintenance Department. I was asked to remove Citrus Cleaner in a spray bottle off the shelf because of the California label. I believe the warning is because of what is know as Proposition 65. I called the company that makes the product and was told that there was nothing in the product that would harm anyone. That California was the only state that required that warning place on products. Something to do with if you mix two products together it could and the word here is could cause cancer. And to make a separate label for products going to California was not cost effective. I also check the MSDS sheet for the product and found no reference to cancer causing agents. Changed over to Simple Green, which by the way is an awesome cleaner. And it does not have that reference on the label. But it also has a contact address on the label for Huntington Beach, California. The same goes for Protective Equipment, Gloves, Face Gear, etc. MSDS sheet indicates that these should be worn. The manufactures explanation is that there is one MSDS Sheet for the product. It covers their employee's and the general public. The manufacturer feels if you are working with it 8 hours a day packaging it at their plant. Then they require Safety gear due to the fact that you are handling it all day. But if it is use occasionally as long as there is proper ventilation is safe to use. And lets not get into the latest reports about Plastic Water Bottles.