Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #85

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
sewer hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portert View Post
Good evening, I'm trying to get ready for the spring and
I've been looking for the best sewer Hose. It appears to be between the Volterra viper and the rhinoflex. I've looked on line and cannot really find any reviews from recently. I just wanted to get some opinions based on real life experiences. Also, if you know of something that would be comparable or better, please eat me know. Thanks in advance for all the help.
I bought a Rhinoflex at walmart and it leaked at the fitting. Returned it and got another--same problem. Using Thetford Smart Hose now. Any hose can be punctured if not handled carefully but leaking fittings on factory installations should not happen.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #86

I bought a Sewer Solutions setup at a yard sale to make it easier to dump while parked at my home RV pad. The sewer connection on my pad is on the opposite side and is slightly higher than the connection on the my 5th wheel. The SS works so well I am thinking about using it as my primary sewer hose. I see a lot of people using them at RV parks and haven't heard of any complaints. I paid $25 for mine....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Rhino all the way.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I'm not much of a fan of the Rhinoflex. Mine developed pinhole leaks after a couple of seasons and the connections were too large to fit into the storage tube on my TT.
Rhinoflex didn't fit my storage tube until I used a file to trim the tabs a little and now it works great. I will never go back to a slinky. I just finished my second full season and many tanks dumps with no leaks, but if it leaks, I will just buy another.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I couldn't make my RhinoFlex hoses last. I agree that they are strong in the sense that you can squish them any which way and they bounce right back to shape. My issue was that if they lay directly on gravel, I would get pin holes very easily. And due to my rv being low to the ground, I often could not avoid it where the hose dropped straight down out of my water bay and then had to take a sharp turn. That turn is often on the ground in my rig, and that's where my pin holes develop.

Rhino hoses are hugely popular, so I think my situation is rather uncommon.
What I did solves both the pinhole and walking the slinky problem. I went to Home Depot, found a damaged length (doesn't have to be damaged, but cheaper that way) of PVC rain gutter, had them cut it at the 2/3 mark. Now I have a long piece and a short piece and I can overlap to make an even longer piece. They support the hose very well with a block(s) at the RV end and maybe just a rock at the septic end. If I need to "walk" it, I just lift the RV end a little. The two pieces fit inside each other for storage. I only get it out if the sewer hose is going to droop.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
My sanicon came with the coach and so far have broken 3 bayonets in less than 9 months.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #90

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portert View Post
Good evening, I'm trying to get ready for the spring and
I've been looking for the best sewer Hose. It appears to be between the Volterra viper and the rhinoflex. I've looked on line and cannot really find any reviews from recently. I just wanted to get some opinions based on real life experiences. Also, if you know of something that would be comparable or better, please eat me know. Thanks in advance for all the help.

I have the Viper now--it's been 2 years full timing and only got one small pinhole which I patched with caulk. Prior to that I went thru 2 RhinoFlex hoses in 4 weeks with leaking fittings
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #91

Entegra Owners Club
Hmmm. My Rhinoflex hose is in its 5th year and still works great despite being stepped on and bent out of shape.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #92

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 25 dollars worth (I give my opinions more value than 2¢)
Sewer Solution looks nice on paper but wastes gallons of fresh water, Water that is becoming more and more precious, to do a job that can be far more easily (And better I might add) be done by a few watts of Electricity. ELectricity which can be gotten from Solar cells if you have 'em.. Thus I'm very much against the sewer solution.

By the way the sewer solution is a water powered macerator pump.

Electric Macerators, Sanicon and Flo-Jet, basically identical save the Sani-Con has a "Gray Water Bypass" that allows water to flow around the pump.. I have a Flo Jet portable. IT has one "issue" which is more a documentation issue than anything else so I'll fix it here.. This pump can pump farther than the Sani-Con, Faster And/or HIGHER

One nice things about these macerators is they can pump UP HILL and don't laugh.. i've seen it where the hole in the ground was ABOVE the outlet on my RV and my RV has high ground clearance.

The documentation error.... If the pump sits for a time (As portables do) the pump siezes.. On the bottom (non pump end) of the motor is a slotted shaft.. You can see easily which way the pump turns (Direction of outlet) take any flat bladed tool, (A quarter works or a mending bar) and give the shaft a twist in the proper direction before hooking up.. That's all there is to it. .Else the 20 amp fuse in the switch handle goes POP down right fast.

Macerators are SLOW however, mine pumps about six gallons per minute as best I can guess when using a 50' 3/4" hose.

Some folks talk about the "Woosh" factor when you dump with a 3" hose. They seem to think this moves semi-solids out faster and prevents the dreaded POOP PYRAMID.. I.. on the other hand, am not convinced of that... I should also point out I'm not convinced they are wrong.. I am very simply not convinced either way.

If you subscribe to the theory then the 3" hose dumps ... Well 36 gallosn is gone in less than sixty seconds (to quote a movie title) and that si one heck of a WOOSH factor

El-cheapo hose, 10 year sold, Some minor leaks repaired, is what is hooked up now.. When I leave this park it will hit the dumpster (Old age, not complaining 10 years is dang good service) I choose this hose because it is precisely the length I needed to hook up where the tow truck parked me.

Rionflex I tried 'em but I gave up on 'em. Not as good as advertised in my not very humble opinion.

I have a couple of extension hoses, the heavy duty ones that come in colors.. Mine is Orange.. Can not tell you the brand.. I only use it when I need the length.

I have a "Smart Hose" THink this is a Tetford product. So far I'm impressed with it. However would be more impressed if I were using it. I used it for about a year before I blew an engine and had the tow truck drop me here. This hose seems to survive stepping on better. Has a very good "Feel" to it.

I think there is one called Drain Master or Sewer Master (or one of each) Lifetime Guaranteed makes it the best hose on the market.

Also the most expensive at aroudn 150 for the standard hose kit.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
What I did solves both the pinhole and walking the slinky problem. I went to Home Depot, found a damaged length (doesn't have to be damaged, but cheaper that way) of PVC rain gutter, had them cut it at the 2/3 mark. Now I have a long piece and a short piece and I can overlap to make an even longer piece. They support the hose very well with a block(s) at the RV end and maybe just a rock at the septic end. If I need to "walk" it, I just lift the RV end a little. The two pieces fit inside each other for storage. I only get it out if the sewer hose is going to droop.
Did something similar. Took a 10' length of 4" PVC drain pipe and cut in half along the length. Also cut to size that will fit in compartment. I put them under the entire length of the sewer hose as a sort of trough and support the assembly with portions of the trestle support. Easy to assemble and gives a consistent slope for the proper flow. Also keeps hose off ground away from things that cause pin holes, gravel, sticks, concrete, etc.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #94

And even in this regard, we all have our opinions (like that other thing we all have!).

And again,.......what RV you like/buy, which woman you ask out/marry (and every other thing on the planet!) depends on our PERSONAL likes/dislikes, and in the case of sewer hoses (holly cow, are we really discussing this!?)....it depends how you use your RV!

IF one is parked at one spot in the campground for extended period (fulltimers, people that like to vacation at the same spot....etc.), maceration pump might be a good solution. People that travel a lot (like me),........all we need is Rhinoflex (cheap, secure, very good hose). I let my black tank go up to half full mark, and at the next gas stop, I hook up the Rhino, start with gray tank (but only about quarter of the amount I have down the hose to get it wet inside!), then I close the gray, dump black, rinse with the rest of gray, and then rinse with fresh. My Rhino has it's own compartment under the coach (by design), with holes for drainage (it drains/drys as I drive). It never leaks, and/or smells bad. After that, I take my gloves off, and pull up to the high speed diesel island, and fuel. Luckily my coach can take fuel in from either side, so no need to watch which island I'll pull to!

Done. Since it's just two of us, we need to empty black tank once, or twice each trip (depending on the length of the trip of course).

Rhino is more than adequate for ME. Everyone should tailor their sewer/water/energy needs based on the way they use their RV, and like I said,......we are all different, and whatever is RIGHT for ME, might not be right for another guy.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #95

I'm all for a KISS solution and you can't get simpler than a quality 3" hose - Rhino being an example - that empties your tank in seconds, needs no power, no water and has no moving parts and if it wears out can be replaced for a small fraction of the cost of any other slower, more complex, more wasteful, more expensive system.
No brainer really

BTW, back home where we have one RV up on blocks that we use when we are there for a few weeks, I do have and use a sewer solution because the sewer is 60 feet away and a little uphill and it works.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on Polychute....
They are out of business. I wrote to the company to see if I could get a replacement hose since mine has developed leaks. The owner wrote back and said he is out of business because his supplier is no longer making the hose. He referred me to Drain Master which makes a similar product. I have a feeling his supplier signed an exclusive deal with Drain Master and knocked him out of business.
So now I have a very expensive LEAKY sewer hose with a worthless lifetime warranty. I have learned my lesson to just keep it simple. Back to a regular sewer hose for me.
Fair warning to all: lifetime warranties aren't worth the electrons they're created with or the paper they're written on.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote